Asking towns about mding

Briman05

Elite Member
I was just wondering how you guys ask towns if you can metal detect in the town. What do you say to them. Do you call the park and rec department or do you call public works department?

i pay taxes so if no sign saying no mding i hunt. have talked to city people while i was mding and no problem. IF YOU ASK THEY WILL SAY NO MDING. HH blev

Dont ask , many times they will say no even if its perfectly fine. Just look for any posted signs , check the internet for anything it may say about it , and if you find no rules against it then go detecting :yes:

If you ask , you will probably be told no.

There is still a risk of being approached by someone and told you cant do it , but thats a chance we all take , gotta be bold in this hobby or you wont get far. Just ask them where is the rule because its not posted anywhere.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. No member of town hall, Parks and Rec, etc. wants to put their neck on the block for giving permission, so the safe answer will be NO! You pay taxes, so you have the right to use that land as long as you don't make a mess. Be sure to bring any trash you find out of the park. That way, if aproached, you can show them and say "but look at the trash I am removing"

It's funny this was asked.
Just yesterday I stopped at the town offices of the 2 townships that border the town I live in. These are the townships I spend my money in since my town doesn't have any businesses. Both the township(s) employees and the police department(s) told me basically not to detect in their towns. Although there are no laws specifically banning detecting they had every reason they could think of why DIGGING wouldn't be tolerated and how the citizens wouldn't like it, as if I'm coming in with an excavator or something. Besides, I was told, there's nothing there to find anyways.

I am having the same problem. Not wanting to get in trouble with police etc., when I am detecting with my 13 year old daughter, I called the State, County, Town, and City offices and everyone said no metal detecting. Artifacts should stay in the ground. I asked about ball fields and parks and they said the same thing. Any suggestions besides don't ask don't tell? I am left with asking friends to MD on their property!

Yeah, I live in a city and there is no rule that you can't md on public property. I researched it online and got as much info as I can, and it isn't even mentioned. No one really thinks of it. I go to my local parks, and there are several, and I will be getting permission from the local private school (founded in 1900) to do it there too.

I dont ask. I go and hunt. If I get told I'm not allowed I'll inquire why and ask about surrounding area. Only got chased one time so far.

As long as it's not posted I go. As long as we don't leave a mess or evidence that we were there I think we are tolerated as harmless lunatics.

what if there is no signs about the area like no signs saying blank park but there are benchs for a bus stop

Hunted many many parks in central Arkansas....never ever asked permission. Requested a list of regulations from the various community parks departments....then when KT visits a site for the first time...He takes time to read the posted regs....never found any mention of MDing....so He hunts them.

Never had a problem with any city employee....most just ask if I am havin any luck! HA HA

Much easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission from some pesky bureaucrat!

I made the mistake of asking my local parks director and was told no. I saw nothing in the township codes against it. I'll wait until next year then just go ahead and detect since there are no signs prohibiting detecting.

Back
Top Bottom