Okay, so after a month and a half

adiroit

Of figuring out who owns what, and who to ask for permission.

I finally have gotten the "OKAY" to detect at two abandoned houses that are a 30 minute walk into the middle of woods, as well as an abandoned hospital that is a little further into the woods.

I don't think the owner's of the land know that those places are there (because they probably would of taken the pinball machines from the attic of the one house) .. but regardless I found out the square mileage they own and that all of the places are within their ownership.

Needless to say, I am so excited. Where I currently live in my apartment, used to be an old golf course before it turned into housing complexes.. and I have found a bunch of 1940 silver on the fields up here.. so I can't even begin to fathom what could be a 30-40 minute walk deep into the woods!

:D just had to share my excitement .. not sure when I will go there however

Boy, would I love an opportunity like that!
Good luck and keep us posted.

Update, apparently there's also a small abandoned hospital from back in the day in the same area of the woods.

I had to contact 2 townships, a foundation, and a university and have a couple meetings with people to secure full access.

But what confuses me is, how can there be a few houses, and even an abandoned hospital .. in the middle of woods with no roads to it?

Like it probably shows, I'm newish to this, and don't really travel in wooded areas much

I'm sure there were roads at one time and then the trees and brush took over. Have you tried looking on an old map?

I'm sure there were roads at one time and then the trees and brush took over. Have you tried looking on an old map?

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to that, but I have had several people that are skilled in the art of old map research .. try to look for me.. and none of them were able to find the houses. Which confused me, because I've seen them with my own eyes / have pictures on facebook of the one house lol.

It seems you found a heck of a place to detect. :good: Some of us would do almost anything to have an opportunity like you. Good Luck.

Sounds promising! Be careful around the old hospital for things that might stick in you! Something like Google Earth or Historical Aerials may help you locate priority areas.

Back
Top Bottom