My Oldest Silver Yet (My First Barber Dime)

HistoryFinder89

Elite Member
I was down by the old baseball field today once again on the same side where I found the WWII bracelet and the 1940's silver coins and a bunch of wheats. I was in the park, but I was by some older looking houses. I got a nice deep signal and I seen a smooth silver colored edge in a clump of mud. I didn't expect to find this in that area. The ballpark is as old as the 50's I know. But because of the items I found there I'm assuming the 40's maybe. So anyway the object in the mud was a Barber Dime. My very first and my oldest silver so far. A 1916. I was very excited! I still am! I don't know how that got there. That area has been very awesome for me! I also decided to try by first base before I left. And by the first base area of the field I found three deep wheats. 1940, 1937 D, and 1946. So maybe that could be a good place for older coins and silver as well. Here are the pics. HH and thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMAG0076.JPG
    IMAG0076.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG0071.JPG
    IMAG0071.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 246
  • IMAG0070.JPG
    IMAG0070.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMAG0079.JPG
    IMAG0079.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 245
Excellent find! Coins will circulate for at least thirty years after they are minted, so that Barber could have been lost in the 40s or even 50s. Congrats.

Anytime someone posts a barber anything that they found I always say "bet he is from the northeast" then i glance over to the right of their post and 9 times out of 10 that is where they are from.
Silver must have fell like rain in the NE back in the day unlike the south which did not really begin to come out of the post civil war depression untill the mid 1960s. Great find all the same.;)

Congrats on your first Barber! She's a beauty! You may find many more surprises at that old ball field! Can't wait to see more goodies!

G2M

Anytime someone posts a barber anything that they found I always say "bet he is from the northeast" then i glance over to the right of their post and 9 times out of 10 that is where they are from.
Silver must have fell like rain in the NE back in the day unlike the south which did not really begin to come out of the post civil war depression untill the mid 1960s. Great find all the same.;)

Agreed - there are some exceptions though. I dug an 1899 barber qtr in Alabama the other day. :D

Back
Top Bottom