Old Mill

Regulators

Well, I went researching, and found out that an old mill used to be up way out by this river, so Im headed up there once this snow is gone. I went out there and from what I could see, there is support beams, and all kinds of wooden wreckage all over. The mill was in use in the early 1900's, so I will get some pictures of it when the snow clears up. There is also an old road that the mill must have used, and even earlier before that. I did go out there before it started snowing, and scouted it out, and there were a few old campfires with old tin cans and junk all over, and like I said above, wreckage of the mill and such itself. There is also a large amount of metal debre that is stuck firmly into the ground, but sticking out part way. Looks like some old gears or something. The history of the place is not well known, just a few pictures of when it was in works. I can't wait!

Go into town, find the oldest person you can and ask them. Bet there is a lot known about that place. When you find an old mill grist or lumber, look for the area where the wagons were loaded and unloaded
These spots may be overgrown now but still recognizable A flat turn around area near an entrance. That is where financial transactions usually took place, after the loading was done.

Sounds like a great place. You will run into a lot of iron targets, but you will probably get into some good targets as well. Hunt low and slow.

Where I live, there is an old mill that is no longer being used. But, the owner will not allow any metal detectorists. So, I would take advantage of that place and hit it hard because there will be many great finds. Good luck with it!

Hey, thanks. Grinsebring I will do that. It's surrounded by rushing water and rapids on the south side, where off to the side it meets into a deep pool that is calm as can be. Then to the north there is a creek that runs down, so its sort of on an island. Also, there are tree wells from the lava that hit there those millons of years ago, or however long it was, so its a very cool place. Down further on it appears that there is a long saw-blade buried in the ground that is also poking up a little. I have to say though that 80% of the rock out there is volcanic, so I might need some tips on setting my detecter, or what is a real reading and what is fake caused by the rock? I'm using a Discovery 2000, but hey I think it will do the job. And hoser, I'm taking your advice on the slow movements :D

Thanks for the encouragement Cladius & zoyboy. Grinsebring, I could take anymore knowledge on those exchange spots, or anything else about a mill if you have it :) Greatly appreciated, and I would like to hear from you all again :grin:

Also remember, that in the northeast, logs were cut in the fall, dragged in the winter when the ground was hard. The logs were transported to the mills early spring, and sawing began when the snow melted and the water was running hard...Check the river banks below where the wheel was for artifacts....good luck........Gil

Back
Top Bottom