Coin roll hunting...sadness

0z0ne

I spent most of my day Friday going to banks and asking about halves or older dollar coins. Of the 10-12 I went to, about six were cooperative enough to check what they had for a non customer.

I was told many times that unless I was an official collector/dealer or (some term I can't remember they used), I wouldn't be allowed to buy anymore. Keep in mind this was my first hunt.

Many of the tellers seemed to be in on the silver hunt too, and let me know that there was none to be found. Apparently they are already irritated enough to discourage me... Blah blah.

In the end, there were only three banks that actually had halves to offer. I bought 100$ worth at one, 95$ at another, and a handful of loosies at another. Additionally, I went to one bank who had 33 eisenhowers, but they were all clad.

It sucks because most of the banks around me (wealthy town) are chain banks like chase and Harris and citibank etc. I wish there were some older, smaller banks.

Nobody would check the vault for me, most didn't even ask other tellers of they had any loosies. For the most part I just got the hairy eyeball and was told off. Sadness.

In the end...I had no luck. Plenty of halves in the mid to upper seventies, and some up till 2000. I did notice that there were permanent marks on many of the coins which I understand means that the stash had been hunted before.

Sigh.... All of you lucky son of a guns who get nice old rolls, and pleasant tellers who will check everything for you...make me jealous.

I wish I could order from brinks :/

brinks doesn't necessarily mean a huge score lol my first 2 boxes (and only so far) from brinks yeilded 1 1968 half dollar. Not so much fun lol.

Keep looking for banks, there are plenty out ther who will sell you what you want...use the other ones for your dump banks. And dont be discouraged about getting bunk boxes...it happens to the highrollers too after 5,10,20...sometimes more.

Ahh, I do appreciate the words of comfort. I understand well that many crh-ers are unsuccesful after thousands of boxes are sifted through. I am just pretty dang jealous of those few who win big!

It also doesn't help that these wealthy people banks are so stuck up and rude about everything. From "are you a customer?" to 'I'm sorry, we don't trade to people who are just looking for silver".

Dude...you're in Chicago....home of 1000's of banks and credit unions. You give up too easy!

I had to hit a 100 or so banks in Northwest Indiana before I found "2" that would sell me bags off of their coin machines.

Devote a day hunting banks and you'll find a few...don't give up!

Join up

I got that all the time too...

The conversation went something like this...

"Hey, do you have any fifty-cent pieces? I will take any you have, rolled loose, bagged...in any amount you have them! :-)"

"Are you a customer?"

"Errr....no..."

"Then no...we only serve customers..."

<<30 min later after visiting another branch and opening an account>>

"Hey there...do you have any fifty-cent pieces?"

"Are you a customer?"

"Why...yeeess!"

Once I am established, and come in a couple times so they know my face, I start laying on the spiffs.
Cookies or fudge mostly...but for some banks I buy the whole branch lunch. You heard me right...I buy the whole branch lunch.

Bankers are very overworked and underpaid people in general--talking about the thralls here, not the execs who have their fingers in the pockets of America...but the tellers, etc. They make only a little over min wage and work long hours, usually 6 days per week.
A little appreciation goes a long way with them.

And usually they don't get decent lunch breaks, so bringing in pizza or Subway or something like that (costs about 75 to 90 bucks) is huge for them...

I try to buy lunch for each of my main pickup banks once per year...

If the lead teller (also sometimes called the vault teller or vault custodian) is older, they are probably a silver-scraper too. Ask them if they have change for a dollar and slide a morgan across the table to them with a wink. (35 bucks at the coin shop...as a spiff...*priceless*. :-)
Also...after having gotten to know them, you may find that they are coin collectors too. If so, I offer to search for stuff they need.
At one bank the customer service manager's kids have had all the spots in their 50c and nickles books finished up by me.

I actually have some tellers at some branches, rat-holing coins away for me. (Those that don't get snapped up by other silver-scraping tellers before they get secreted away)

It sounds like a lot, but think about this...

EVEN if they will order/handle coin for you, this incurrs a cost. Usually about 7 bucks per box. The bank normally absorbs this cost, but if you are viewed as nothing but a recurring expense...they will cut you off completely, or start passing this fee on to you.

If you are pulling say...6 boxes per week...say twice a week pickups of 1500 each, that is 42 bucks a week. All they have to do to destroy your operation is to start charging you those fees.

We are only able to do this level of CRH at all, because the tellers are cutting us some slack.

Sign up at their bank...then be their best friend. I will wager their attitude changes.

And don't hesitate to be their best friend.
At every bank I go to, they have the same policies, and roughly the same fees.
I do spend about 400 bucks a year in spiffs, but I am tearing through 9500 bucks a week in coin and none of them charge me.

NOTE: Not all banks will work...some are just a-holes. I have been thrown out of a few branches once they realized what I was doing...but there's always more fish in the sea.

Join several different banks. And do what it takes to maintain those accounts. I use mine as "offsite savings banks" and it actually helps me save money. I am no rocket scientist, but I have found that if you want to be sustainable, you want to not dump at any one branch more than once every two months and loads need to be small enough that the machine only drops one bag when you are there.

Oh...and NEVER drop off where you pick up.

Good Hunting!

I spent most of my day Friday going to banks and asking about halves or older dollar coins. Of the 10-12 I went to, about six were cooperative enough to check what they had for a non customer.

I was told many times that unless I was an official collector/dealer or (some term I can't remember they used), I wouldn't be allowed to buy anymore. Keep in mind this was my first hunt.

Many of the tellers seemed to be in on the silver hunt too, and let me know that there was none to be found. Apparently they are already irritated enough to discourage me... Blah blah.

In the end, there were only three banks that actually had halves to offer. I bought 100$ worth at one, 95$ at another, and a handful of loosies at another. Additionally, I went to one bank who had 33 eisenhowers, but they were all clad.

It sucks because most of the banks around me (wealthy town) are chain banks like chase and Harris and citibank etc. I wish there were some older, smaller banks.

Nobody would check the vault for me, most didn't even ask other tellers of they had any loosies. For the most part I just got the hairy eyeball and was told off. Sadness.

In the end...I had no luck. Plenty of halves in the mid to upper seventies, and some up till 2000. I did notice that there were permanent marks on many of the coins which I understand means that the stash had been hunted before.

Sigh.... All of you lucky son of a guns who get nice old rolls, and pleasant tellers who will check everything for you...make me jealous.

I wish I could order from brinks :/

Just pony up and order a box from one of them where you are a customer

Back
Top Bottom