Minelab Rechargeable Battery Not Recharging

HistoryFinder89

Elite Member
Hey All, I figured I'd ask on here, because I can't find any info about this throughout the internet. I have the Minelab SlimPack NiMH Rechargeable Battery Pack, I use for my E-trac. I've been using it for over two years to power my E-trac. I've actually bought a new charger to plug in the wall because the old one snapped a few months ago. I usually charge the battery for about 12 to 15 hours, and I have got a full four bars of battery life on my E-trac every time on the following hunt. But now, I have run my E-trac to 1 bar of power after a couple hunts, which is normal for me. I go to charge my battery not once but twice to refill the four battery life bars on my screen, for about 12 to 15 hours like I usually do, and on the following hunt now, it is still on one bar, like I never even charged it. I don't know if it's the battery pack itself or what. Please if anyone can help me on this, it would be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to run through a pack of double A batteries after every hunt, I'd much rather use my rechargeable battery pack. Please help, thanks in advance. :?:

I've had much better luck using the empty battery pack w 8 eneloop batteries. The minelab rechargeable pack got to the point that it wasn't lasting long enough. I bought a 16 battery charger and I load up 8 and have another 8 on standby just in case.

Your battery pack is toast.

I recommend one of the RNB batteries,,,,sponsors here sell them.

Charge one of those pups up,,,and hunt a few days,,without charging.

Better value for the $$ vs stock setup IMO.

http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/rnb-innovation-e-trac-battery

+1, it is a bit expensive, but the RNB is one the best upgrades I've made to my Etrac. I detect very often, some hunts 8hrs +, and I've had this battery setup for a few months and I've only charged it 3 or 4 times. It lasts a unbelievably long time, days and days of long hunts. Good luck getting yours sorted out.

Plug in your charger and use a multitester on the end that plugs into the battery pack. Compare your readings to the volt value on the charger. If that reads good then your battery pack is shot.

A cheap alternative is 8AA Reyovac Plus or Duracell Plus rechargables. They are ~2400mah and will last 30% longer than the stock rechargeable.

About $25

Downside is charging all 8 of the batteries in a charger.

If you simply DO NOT have the money for the RNB,understood. If you DO but would rather NOT you are KILLING yourself messing around with ANYTHING else. Plug in,charge short time,hunt very long time. I had a sketchy battery pack on my Explorer which lasted maybe 6 hours. The RNB,with same settings on the machine,is more like 30 hours. Very nice battery that comes with a nice beefy charger,not some POS little wimpy thing. Once you see it,feel it and use it you'll just laugh and shrug as to WHY it couldnt have been this way all along.

Plug in your charger and use a multitester on the end that plugs into the battery pack. Compare your readings to the volt value on the charger. If that reads good then your battery pack is shot.

Do this before you buy anything. It probably is your battery pack, but better to be safe than sorry!

Probably one or more cells getting weak. You can rebuild the pack fairly cheap. It's just 8 AA Nimh cells. There are videos on Youtube.

I really like the Minelab battery case that you put your own batteries in. I get the rechargeable's at Harbor Freight really cheap. And if and when a cell goes bad, it's very easy to replace just that cell.

I haven't had any of the HF's go bad yet and some of them are at least 4 years old and I recharge them hard and fast.

Do you have the AA pack also?? I bought some rechargeable batteries and an 8 position charger for my Surf PI and then got a set for my E-Trac. I use them alternately with the ML recharge pack on the E-Trac and they work great. On the E-Trac I usually get about 3 or 4 hunts with them (about 24 hours use).

Back
Top Bottom