Sanyo Eneloop Batteries

Digger-Dave

Forum Supporter
I started using these this season in my AT Pro. I've been a Duracell user for years.

Is it just me or does it seem that the power level drops quickly?

After a few hunts the level will drop to two bars. Then the level seems to stay at two bars for a real long time. I can keep hunting for a number more hunts before they give up the ghost.

I like them, but is this how rechargeable batteries area supposed to act?

I have read people complaining about the new generation envelopes. But, you can not go by a graphic gauge using 1.2v rechargeable if it was made for 1.5 volt non rechargeable.
If you do not have a smart charger you need to get one if you want to get the most out of the batteries. You can google "why do I need a smart charger" and read up on them. The main items you need in a charger is one that provides voltage for each battery, and can charge one at a time. Also one that allows different charging currents and shows voltage of each cell. The cheap chargers that require 2 batteries to be inserted to charge will not always charge both fully especially if one cell is bad. Do a little more research on maintaining rechargeable batteries for a better understanding (lots of info on the subject out there)
I have been using PowerEx 2700 mha rechargeable's that last much longer than regular AAs. Capacity it what makes one more expensive and last longer than another

I have read people complaining about the new generation envelopes. But, you can not go by a graphic gauge using 1.2v rechargeable if it was made for 1.5 volt non rechargeable.

If you do not have a smart charger you need to get one if you want to get the most out of the batteries. You can google "why do I need a smart charger" and read up on them. The main items you need in a charger is one that provides voltage for each battery, and can charge one at a time. Also one that allows different charging currents and shows voltage of each cell. The cheap chargers that require 2 batteries to be inserted to charge will not always charge both fully especially if one cell is bad. Do a little more research on maintaining rechargeable batteries for a better understanding (lots of info on the subject out there)

I have been using PowerEx 2700 mha rechargeable's that last much longer than regular AAs. Capacity it what makes one more expensive and last longer than another

Would you mind posting a link to the batteries and smart charger you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used them for the last 2 seasons on my ATP. Yes, they drop to 3 bars pretty quickly. Stays at 3 for a good while. Then to 2 and stays there for even longer. I get at least 15 to 20 hours by the time they drop to 1 bar. I've actually gone to where the machine shuts off and haven't had any issues up to that point. So, I don't worry about what level the battery indicator is until it reaches 1 bar.

I've never really kept track exactly how many hours I get on a charge but, I know I can get at least 3 weekends out of them where I usually hunt 3 to 4 hours each day (Saturday and Sunday).

The Eneloop batteries work the same as any other NiMh battery, the are just low-self-discharge, meaning you can leave them sitting unused for a year, and hold most of their charge. Regular NiMh batteries can sit unused for several months, and still be fine, but a charge would be a good idea. If you use your detector often, need to charge up once or more a month, really no good reason to pay the premium price for Eneloop, since they'll never sit unused long enough to make any difference.

Rechargeable batteries are around 1.4 volts, fresh off the charger, but their working voltage is 1.2 volts, so you will see those .2 volts drop quickly.

A smart charger is a really good investment, your batteries can last many years, if maintained well. Those cheap chargers, that usually come with the batteries, are generally timer based, but each cell isn't equally discharged, or completely discharged. They frequently get overcharged, heated up, the chemistry degrades, reduce life and performance. Keeps you buying replacements, or going back to alkaline. A smart charger, monitors, and adjusts the charge on each cell, stops when its fully charged. They don't get hot, not chance of damage, leakage, or fire, if you forget to check on them, unplug the charger...

Back
Top Bottom