Pinpointer Lanyard loop

Mike 257

Forum Supporter
Just bought my first pinpointer today and Im new to this hobby. I notice there is a loop hole on the end of the pinpointer. Does anyone tie a lanyard so they don't lose there pinpointer?

With all my other gear,
I think that a lanyard is just something to get in the way, or tangled up with my head phone cord, or when hunting in a wooded area.
I just keep it in it's sheath, that is attached to my finds pouch.
Maybe, I would use a lanyard if I was water hunting.

I have two brand new lanyards still in plastic wrap, and access to another I collected over years. I've never put one on a pinpointer, BUT that is the purpose of that attatchment spot you indicated.

I've dropped a PP'r just once over 5 years. My personal dislike about attatching myself to my PPR is the additional feeling of being tethered.

I have never used the sheaths either though. Mine go into a deep pant's pocket. I just don't understand tectors losing pinpointers I guess.

It probably depends on where you hunt, if you are well maintained yards, parks and lots, there probably isn't too much of a need for it. But if you hunt woods, pastures & fields where it would be more difficult to see if left, I would say yes.

I've seen just enough of "I lost my pinpointer post" to add a lanyard for my country hunts.

I use an ammo dump pouch fastened to an old military belt, the pouch hangs on my backside and my pointer is in its holster in front. I tried using a lanyard but when digging it seemed like I couldn't get it far enough away from all my metallic gear. It would drive me nuts chirping while I was digging. I usually toss it aside away from shovels and such where I can grab it again when needed. I have never left it because it is always in my hand at the time I discover my finds. Having said that, maybe I should lanyard my hand digger as I spent some time sunday metal detecting the leaf litter in the meadow looking for it. I thought the bright orange handle would stick out like a sore thumb but in the leaves it blends right in!

Just bought my first pinpointer today and Im new to this hobby. I notice there is a loop hole on the end of the pinpointer. Does anyone tie a lanyard so they don't lose there pinpointer?

well, in all honesty, i have 170 reasons why i use a tether on mine, lol.
i did actually lose my original pp'er on one occasion. after retracing my steps i found it again.
if you're looking for something to tether yours', may i suggest an old telephone handset cord. it's already coiled, so it will "retract" nicely and that stuff is strong! just form a little loop in each end and secure it with a small crimp-type of cable clamp or something similar. ;)

I haven't actually even been out yet, this weekend will be my first outing. The way Im planning on setting up is having my bag, digger and pinpointer attached to my side with the pinpointer towards the back. I just envisioned myself reaching back to grab the pinpointer and it not being there. Maybe Im overthinking this, I could probably just get in the habbit of reaching back once in a while to check, or I can just carry it in front of me. I didnt realise that a teather could be kind of a Pita getting tangled up.

Back
Top Bottom