GPS advice?

602punch

Not really sure what I'm looking for here. If their is an iPhone app I would prefer that as opposed to a piece of hardware but will consider both. Here is me dilemma.

abandoned old mines, 3 hour drive from my home. I've already scoped the area and got the lats and longs from google maps (worried about this first and foremost as google has failed me big time with lat/long In the past) I really don't want to be stranded far from where google tells me.

Any kind of map/GPS apps I can get or hardware that's under $100?

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garmin E trax 10 is right around $100 and is way more accurate than any Phone ... it uses US and Russian Satellites to triangulate your position with multiple satellites ... I used to geocache and people with cell phone GPS a lot of the time were way off and at times you have no signal at all and a Real GPS only needs a view of the sky ... it even has tracking so you can follow the same route in and out
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/41500/garmin-etrex10.html?category_id=31188

Thanks for the link surfchunker. So with that said. Any accurate satellite maps I can view that will spit out accurate GPS? Google has been off as much as 300 meters for me on some occasions. Thanks!

Garmin E trax 10 is right around $100 and is way more accurate than any Phone ... it uses US and Russian Satellites to triangulate your position with multiple satellites ... I used to geocache and people with cell phone GPS a lot of the time were way off and at times you have no signal at all and a Real GPS only needs a view of the sky ... it even has tracking so you can follow the same route in and out
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/41500/garmin-etrex10.html?category_id=31188

With all due respect, that info is a bit outdated. Yes, most phones don't store the map data locally but some do. It depends on the app. Other apps have you put in your route ahead of time while you have data access and will download the route and adjacent areas so you have coverage if you lose cellular data connection. The GPS portion of the phone receives GPS sats in the sky like any dedicated unit would. The accuracy has improved immensely over the last 4 or 5 years.

That being said, it's never wise to rely on one source for navigation. And for the iphone at least which I'm familiar with, the built in compass app will point you in the right direction as it's actually a built in magnetometer and needs no radio signal.

Regards,

Papa

google earth has always been pretty right on for me and the Garmin Etrax can get you within 3' a lot of times and no phone is that good ... being it uses way more Satellites to triangulate ... seen way too many Geocachers with phone apps to know they can be way off ... plus all the other features with tracks and routes that you can download straight from Google Earth

Thanks for the link on terra server. Anyone know how recent the satellite images are? Googles are 5+ years back sometimes. Thx bbsgal

Thanks for the link on terra server. Anyone know how recent the satellite images are? Googles are 5+ years back sometimes. Thx bbsgal

You're welcome. Each image is dated on the left side in the control panel so you always know how current it is.

Modern cell phone apps are great for using as a GPS, as long as you have good cell phone reception. They don't work out in the sticks.

Back
Top Bottom