How to cut a plug

Playsndirt

Elite Member
I have watch videos,some only cut 3 sides others all the way,some deep,i pinpoint with my md and try to cut a 3inch 3 sided but still sometimes i still make a mess.would like some input?:?:

I have watch videos,some only cut 3 sides others all the way,some deep,i pinpoint with my md and try to cut a 3inch 3 sided but still sometimes i still make a mess.would like some input?:?:

Not all plugs are going to be pretty. A lot of factors will mess up even the best attempt, i.e. soil conditions like sand, rocks, sticks, moisture; roots; type and health of grass, if any; etc.. Keep practicing. Sometimes bigger plugs are better at holding the soil attached together. Other times it's better to just use a probe like when the soil is loose and sandy.
I don't cut a complete circle, but find the grass roots in my area are try compact, so have to cut a little more than a horseshoe for the plug to fold back well. Otherwise I have a heck of a time getting the thing to stay in place while inspecting the hole. I will usually cut my plug diameter based on the size/depth of the target. Deeper or larger targets will usually require a little larger plug and smaller shallower targets can be recovered with smaller plugs. In the summer, smaller plugs tend to dry up faster, so larger ones can help keep the grass alive.
Again, many things to consider, but don't get overly concerned if all your plugs don't come out perfectly.

AS CHARLES GARRETT SAYS,PRACTICE,PRACTICE,PRACTICE THANKS I BELIVE I WAS GOING TO SMALL,ILL USE SIZE AND DEPT FOR MY PLUGS.BEST OF DAY.HAPPY HUNTING:yes:

I use a custom cut shovel and cut 4x4x4 plugs the fit back in perfect and stay together. This is if the target is 3" or deeper. Otherwise I do the 3 sided U with the hand digger. Once I get the new White's pin pointer, I plan on just cutting a slit next to the target as it is claimed to have 3" or more depth.. we shall see.
If you are not using a 2x2' cloth to put dirt on, that is the ticket to a good repair, even if the plug does fall apart.

Back
Top Bottom