There can be gold in amongst the pull tabs

cdv

Elite Member
First water hunt of 2014, gridded (as best I can in the water) a small area with the sensitivity cranked moving slower than I ever have just to test a theory and it seemed to work.... I made four passes in a 50 yard part of a beach in 3 1/2 hours of hunting. Not only did I find a few spots with multiple targets but I also found one spot (about 4 square feet) that as I dug up weak high tones, it exposed some deeper high and mid tones that I didn't hear at first. I must have spent 20 minutes in that 4 square foot area before I finally got the quarters out of it and the 3 oz sinker that was to deep to hear until I dug down to get the quarters. The hoop earring is 14k (2.7 grams) and it came up with a dime in the scoop which I assume was the high tone I was digging... Fun time and I was learning a lot .... never had so many multiple targets under the coil before.... was it the spot or the technique..... I think I know the answer now!
Some real old style pull tabs in that pile... and the T shaped nylon dive weight about blew my ears off.

HH and GL everyone
Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-01-09 15.22.39.jpg
    2014-01-09 15.22.39.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 601
  • 2014-01-09 13.44.41.jpg
    2014-01-09 13.44.41.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 582
  • 2014-01-09 15.22.46.jpg
    2014-01-09 15.22.46.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 589
Good job on the gold!

Yeah, I have to get myself to slow down. I'm still kicking myself because about a month ago I was in a prime spot and pulled 2 gold in the area while I was moving at my normal fast pace. Went back the next day determined to hit the spot again and slow way down, but Neptune had sanded the spot back in... wonder how many gold I skipped over because I wasn't covering 100% of the ground. :no: This was with the CZ21 and its concentric coil, so I definitely missed a lot of deep targets in that area.

Yes you are finding lots of old pulltabs thats for sure. Probably more gold hiding in that their place!! Good tips and I hope you get rewarded with big fat gold ring before the next 100 pulltabs are dug!

Cliff, glad to hear you're off the injured list! I've usually have good luck when I use that slow gridding technique, too. I've only been out twice this year, and didn't have the patience either time. Good luck, hope to see ya soon!
Mike

great looking gold Cliff,,,,I think that is the first hoop ear ring that I have seen that was gold and not junk,,,,,way to start your year off,,,,it just seems that in the winter targets are more collated in certain areas and other areas are without any targets,,,,great work,,,,GL HH

When I find an area that's producing, I slow WAY down. The problem is, finding that area. :laughing: The beaver tail pull tabs are a good sign you're digging old stuff. Good job recognizing a productive area.

Glad to see you got some yellow today! Those dang tabs sound so good. Beaver tails sound like gold but those modern can tabs give a louder sound, like between pennies and beavers. I like the bunny rabbit. Wonder if that was part of the little sand dollar and elephant I found.

Well lets hope thats the beginning of a roll Cliff. Where has this month gone? going quick. Nice gold ....

Dew

Nice gold cliff.
I had to go back and read your post. You are in the water?
You are Braver then me, Gulf 55 degrees :shock:
River 72 degrees, temp should get to 80 today, tide is right and hope to be diving in a few hours.

Slow works. Down side is looking at all the beach you can't cover when the tide is coming in. Not sure how sling blade out here does so good? He's fast and pendulum swings.:lol:

Slow works. Down side is looking at all the beach you can't cover when the tide is coming in. Not sure how sling blade out here does so good? He's fast and pendulum swings.:lol:

Sling blades younger brother Skippy lives over here....honestly 2-3 steps per second.... but he doesn't dig much, you might catch up to him if he dug.... he can't let that happen! :laughing:

great looking gold Cliff,,,,I think that is the first hoop ear ring that I have seen that was gold and not junk,,,,,way to start your year off,,,,it just seems that in the winter targets are more collated in certain areas and other areas are without any targets,,,,great work,,,,GL HH

First gold hoop for me too.....marked and tested at 14k so I'm happy....finally got to see one in person. I've seen smaller ones but not the size of a silver dollar like this one. Hmmm wonder if they come bigger in gold???

Nice gold cliff.
I had to go back and read your post. You are in the water?
You are Braver then me, Gulf 55 degrees :shock:
River 72 degrees, temp should get to 80 today, tide is right and hope to be diving in a few hours.

You watch the news to much..... water is warmer than 55 degrees.... oh wait, you do live up North! :laughing:
Good luck today in the river, watch out for the Manatees.
Diving up north tomorrow.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom