6x8 sef vs Joey 5x10 Coils

rluna

Elite Member
Doing a google search I haven't found a comparison between these two coils.
This would be for my Etrac.

I wanted a coil that separates better but still covers some ground. These two
seem like a happy medium.

The 5x10 Joey would be better as it would cover more ground but not if it doesn't
separate as well as the 6x8 sef coil.

A hockey puck type coil is out of the question....I just dont have the patience :)

If you have used both of these it sure would be great to hear your comparison.

Thanks,
Rand

Can't speak for the joey coils, but the sef coils, I used a 6x8 sef on a couple etracs.. Definitely a good choice. Pretty good separation and at the same time good depth. 9" dimes are very doable with it.

For old house sites IMO #1 rated for the etrac.

Sure the stock and larger coils will be deeper overall, but not much depth given up with 6x8 coil vs the overall gain in separation.

Well built---not the lightest in its class i.e. X-8 coil is lighter-another good choice btw.

Have also used sunray X-5 coil. An alright coil in my book, but for its size vs separation----sef 6x8 is better investment for overall performance in depth/separation.

Good luck

Cheers.

Can't speak for the joey coils, but the sef coils, I used a 6x8 sef on a couple etracs.. Definitely a good choice. Pretty good separation and at the same time good depth. 9" dimes are very doable with it.

For old house sites IMO #1 rated for the etrac.

Sure the stock and larger coils will be deeper overall, but not much depth given up with 6x8 coil vs the overall gain in separation.

Well built---not the lightest in its class i.e. X-8 coil is lighter-another good choice btw.

Have also used sunray X-5 coil. An alright coil in my book, but for its size vs separation----sef 6x8 is better investment for overall performance in depth/separation.

Good luck

Cheers.

I haven't used any small coils...Ever!.....on any of the machines I've ever had. Just never thought it was
worth changing out. Until now :)

I have heard great things about the 6x8 sef. I'm hoping someone will tell me that the Joey gets just
as good of separation and decent depth because at 10" it will also cover more ground.
If not, I will be happy getting the 6x8 sef.

Rand

SEF 6X8 is a keeper !

Doing a google search I haven't found a comparison between these two coils.
This would be for my Etrac.

I wanted a coil that separates better but still covers some ground. These two
seem like a happy medium.

The 5x10 Joey would be better as it would cover more ground but not if it doesn't
separate as well as the 6x8 sef coil.

A hockey puck type coil is out of the question....I just dont have the patience :)

If you have used both of these it sure would be great to hear your comparison.

Thanks,
Rand
Of the two the SEF 6X8 coil !:yes:

Etrac --

With the Sef 8x6 , I find it's hard to take it off, except hunting with a larger coil in fields with less trash & iron, also I sold the 6 inch coil, and have( no )opinion on the never used Joey coil, happy hunting Earl

I have used both and the sef is a better coil IMO. It is deeper and separates just as well. The only downside is it has an open design so it gets hung up a lot in the woods.

I have used both and the sef is a better coil IMO. It is deeper and separates just as well. The only downside is it has an open design so it gets hung up a lot in the woods.

Thanks.....from what I have been hearing in general, the 6x8 I think would be the coil to go with.
I know you probably could not go wrong with either but I see so many really liking the 6x8.

Back
Top Bottom