CTX 3030 for carry on while flying ????

They don't break down very well like the Etracs did. I have flown no problem with the Etrac, but not the CTX.

Make sure you wrap the control box in foam prior to shipment. It's fragile.

it gets pretty short thou and lays flat,,,, gotta d=find out the max dimension for carry on,,,

Email Minelab and ask what they had in mind for this. There is a hard carry case made for Etracs that have I seen.
KellyCo sells one called a 1700 Vault II that is supposed to work for all Minelabs except SD, GP and XP Etreme series detectors. You could always ask them to check it out for the CTX to make sure it works.

great job on that !!!! I just hate the idea of checking it,,, I used t load airplanes and I know how they are treated,,,,

I fly a lot and it really doesn't matter what is regulated or unregulated. I have taken my camera tripods on a dozen flights as carry on and passed through with out a second look and I have had a supervisor called on it once or twice and given the third degree and been told that I had to check it. After showing copies of the TSA restricted sheets that did not include the tripod and also showing TSA sheets giving special privilege pertaining to camera and photography equipment they let me go through with the shake of a finger and a "Ok, this one time, but next time know better" speech. There can be something completely legal and have no regulations on the books but if they can manipulate in their mind a way that you can use something as a weapon then they can make it tough on you. I would say if your worried about it getting damaged or stolen take just the head/control unit in your carry on luggage and pack the shaft and coil in your check on to be safe. Also if there is an exposed metal tube at one end pick up a hard rubber tube cap or chair leg end for protecting your floor at the hardware store. Anything that changes a bare open piece of metal that you can stab someone with into a soft, pleasant looking capped end. For my camera equipment I always print out the current rules and TSA's updated restricted items list and put in inside of my carry on on the top of my packed items so IF they decide to open my luggage they are passively made aware that I read up on and know my rights and current regulations. The thing about people in power is they typically want to show their power to stroke their own ego and as self confirmation that they are the ones in power. If someone on a power trip is openly talked back to or challenged they get embarrassed which results in them getting angry and then they compensate by trying to over power you. If you smile and have your regulations displayed in your luggage when the TSA opens your bag and sees your well read on current rights and regulations they are given the option of picking their battle and sometimes think to them selves "this wont be a smooth display of power, this passenger looked into his rights and regulations" and they poke around looking for obvious no no's and then seal your luggage up and you continue on. Not that I have not been forced to check a bag or throw an item in the trash in the past but the print outs simply say "I am not a push over".

good advice ,,,,, I could live with the power head in hand,,,, but worry about the display,,,,, hhuuuuummmmm more thought needed,,,,, even just the upper half of the machine as carry on would be nice,,,,, seems small enough,,,,

good advice ,,,,, I could live with the power head in hand,,,, but worry about the display,,,,, hhuuuuummmmm more thought needed,,,,, even just the upper half of the machine as carry on would be nice,,,,, seems small enough,,,,

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about bringing it as carry on. Make it look as small and un-intimidating as possible, break it down as much as you can, and put caps on sharp or exposed metal edges. Even thou you and I know that bare metal is just under a rubber cap they don't know and it's better to be over cautious then to get stuck with paying $100 for a last min additional baggage charge.

OMG, I hope that's a joke. :?:

I think there are a few jobs in the world that people should not advertise as having and a airport bag tosser is definitely one of them.

no actually on larger ships it's "throw them hard enough to bounce/skip/slide to the end of the compartment",,,,,,, really there is no love :no:

This is a good starting point. It seems to vary widely but 22" or 24" inches looks to be the norm. http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm

I would measure the dimensions of the original CTX shipping carton to see if it fits into these. Then I would shop for a piece of luggage that is certified as carry on for major airlines, measure that, and hopefully find it a retail store to test it.

My wife used to work for an airline, and even with that has run into a lot of static with various airlines testing the limits of carry on dimensions trying to be a light traveler. If you test those limits, be ready for a cranky gate or ticket to make you check the bag.

If that happens then you want a hardwall suitcase that will protect it. Personally, I would try to start with a standard piece of hard wall carry on, failing that the most economic route might to be a large piece of hardwall luggage to check.
http://www.ebags.com/category/lugga...nid=31516070&gclid=CK61sIe7irECFYcBQAodjyd1Fg

gluck!

This is a good starting point. It seems to vary widely but 22" or 24" inches looks to be the norm. http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm

I would measure the dimensions of the original CTX shipping carton to see if it fits into these. Then I would shop for a piece of luggage that is certified as carry on for major airlines, measure that, and hopefully find it a retail store to test it.

My wife used to work for an airline, and even with that has run into a lot of static with various airlines testing the limits of carry on dimensions trying to be a light traveler. If you test those limits, be ready for a cranky gate or ticket to make you check the bag.

If that happens then you want a hardwall suitcase that will protect it. Personally, I would try to start with a standard piece of hard wall carry on, failing that the most economic route might to be a large piece of hardwall luggage to check.
http://www.ebags.com/category/lugga...nid=31516070&gclid=CK61sIe7irECFYcBQAodjyd1Fg

gluck!

I am sure the dimensions or weight of a collapsed detector would not be a problem. It's the individual TSA representative's personal opinion of the potential danger of the item or the possible conversion and use of the individual components. I mean, a 1oz tube of hair gel is far from over sized or over weight but its still regulated. I had a decorative metal charger plate confiscated once because they said I could use it to bludgeon someone, It was half the weight of my laptop and no sharp edges and made of thin metal, It looked similar to a old metal prospectors gold pan with decorative native art and patterns in it. Maybe its a problem but I fly so much but now I look at everything as a possible weapon and don't be surprised if the TSA rep does the same. On the flip side I have went through with far more questionable items that haven't been given a first glance let alone a second one so I am not saying expect a problem only that you should be prepared for one and do anything you can to prevent it by minimizing your exposure to a potential issue. Bring as little metal as possible, cover sharp edges, take the batteries out. Detectors are radio transmitters and receivers and there are regulations on those, supposedly a cell phone can bring an airplane down. :shock:

I think I read something on here or someplace, where a detector should'nt go through a metal detector at an airport, it could mess them up, not sure though

I'm not sure how small the CTX 3030 can get, but when I flew a few weeks ago I ended up putting my e-trac in a hard sided suitcase and had to check it. It was just a hair too large for my hard-sided carryon. I broke it down and wrapped all of the pieces in the clothes I was taking along with me anyway. I don't know if it got thrown or treated badly, but it made it through without a scratch. I was actually more worried about it being stolen than damaged. I would think the biggest problem would be if it were crushed. Seems like most MDs can handle the shock of being bounced around.

Another alternative would be to put it in the original packaging and ship it to your destination. Good luck with it, no matter how you end up doing it.

I've been eyeballing Pelican cases for mine. We used to pack our military weapons in them and check them on planes because they're so secure and durable. They're a little on the pricey side, but come with customizable foam inside that you can cut to perfectly fit the item you want to carry. They have them in a whole bunch of sizes so if you can break down your detector you may be able to fit it in one of their carry-on size cases.

Back
Top Bottom