Hello everyone

Professor1701

Hi all, just joined tonight, and have been getting back into the hobby the last couple weeks after many years away. Found a 1892 Barber Dime first day out and got the bug again. Looking forward to reading the posts online here to see what is going on and learn a little, and contribute when I can.

I actually found this site in a search for Jetco Mustang metal detectors; google found an old thread here from 2012 about them. After I read it I wanted to share that I found that silver dime recently with a Mustang, along with a wheat penny, a gold caligraphy pen nib, and some other less notable things. Normally I use White's detectors, so finding good stuff first day out with this old machine is a good omen, and I can't wait to get the better machine out there!

:fmdfwelcome: We're glad to have you, and hope you'll continue to share with us about your finds. What an incredible "first" hunt, with an 1892 Barber dime! The gold calligraphy pen nib is intriguing to me, and of course, wheaties are great to uncover... so congrats on your finds!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. It's really exciting to see so many people still doing this hobby that was my family's main form of recreation as I was a kid and teenager. My dad had a White's dealership back then so we always had good machines and good training, and even if we found nothing good, it was quality family time together.

I went to the same place I found the good stuff mentioned earlier this last Sunday and got skunked this time. Guess my nice finds two weeks ago were re-beginner's luck...lol I tried to use my dad's old White's Surfmaster II instead of the Mustang, and it had me digging up wire fence 6 inches down, and a piece of an old Matchbox car roof about 4 inches down, until I said enough is enough. It says it is good on land and water, but I am wondering if over the years it is out of tune or something? When I did test scans of a quarter and penny, the sound was not as good as if I scanned a roofing nail! I switched back to the Mustang to try to salvage the day out, but found not a single coin or anything of value in 4 hours of hunting.

Anyone have experience with the Surfmaster II? I never used it before yesterday, and since my dad passed away it was in storage for years. He had a Spectrum XLT that I am hoping is still around, and that would be a much better machine for land hunting.

By the way I am in northeastern PA near the Delaware River.

Back
Top Bottom