• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Iron Key in Muriatic Acid

teotwawki12

Elite Member
Last night, I decided that I'd run the rusty iron skeleton key (which I found last week) through electrolysis. But first, I thought I'd throw it in the bucket of 50/50 muriatic acid and water I have out back for soaking old bottles. Thought maybe I'd get a bit of rust off for better contact with the wires. Annnnnd I went on to doing something else, completely forgot about it, and left it there overnight.

This morning I remembered I'd left it in the acid and completely expected it to have been dissolved down to a pile of iron bits. And actually, it turned out pretty well with just the acid (don't forget the baking soda water dip...)! Before and after photos below.

Attachments

• KIMG1668.jpg
    KIMG1668.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 725
  • KIMG1669.jpg
    KIMG1669.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 573
  • KIMG1739.jpg
    KIMG1739.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 564
  • KIMG1740.jpg
    KIMG1740.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 575
Your post reminded me of a piece of float copper i dug in the UP. It had silver all over it (half breed) and a guy offered me 3000 for it and asked if i could clean it up like some other pieces i had . I said sure no problem. So into the bath of acid it went . While waiting for it i started to have a few Captain and Cokes . Completely forgot about it (wonder why) and woke up next morning to find 90% of the silver eaten off the copper:no: It went for scrap. Key looks good though đź‘Ť

Your post reminded me of a piece of float copper i dug in the UP. It had silver all over it (half breed) and a guy offered me 3000 for it and asked if i could clean it up like some other pieces i had . I said sure no problem. So into the bath of acid it went . While waiting for it i started to have a few Captain and Cokes . Completely forgot about it (wonder why) and woke up next morning to find 90% of the silver eaten off the copper:no: It went for scrap. Key looks good though đź‘Ť

Nooooooo! Expensive bottle of rum ya had there....

Wow - turned out really nice! And less muss & fuss than an full blown electrolysis routine. I’ve never used muriatic acid for anything, but it sure looks like I should give it a test run on a few of my big iron pieces! Thanks for the tip!

That came out nice! I use muriatic for cleaning stuff all the time, they sell it in the supermarkets here, super hard water down here. It's not crazy strong though, but does the job!

Back
Top Bottom