Etrac and different coils

loved the 8x6 sef on the Etrac when I had it, just excellent separation and pretty good on the depth. With the CTX, I find myself using the Stock and smaller 6 in coil about half and half where on the Etrac I used mostly the 8x6 sef.

The recovery speed on the pro coil for the CTX is most of the time fast enough to get good separation
Thank you thinking about the 10 x 12 for right now good luck

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

I did see your post you lucky dog on the contrary the stock coil on etrac is driving me crazy here in Southwest PA it is going silent on me for long periods of time I'm wondering if it's the soil or the coil or the machine even if I turn the sensitivity down to three the only threshold I can hear is when the machine is not moving that's not all the time but a good bit of the time actually used at Pro in a yard a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't hold a threshold with the etrac think I will try the SEF 10 by 12 for now good luck

E-Trac Coils can be addictive !!!!

I have purchased and own = sunray X5, X8, X12 .... SEF 6x8, 10x12, 12x15 .... minelab pro coil and the Detec 13 inch Ultimate .

If I had to choose only three from the above group ...it would be as stated in an earlier post . Sunray X5 -trash areas

Sunray X8 - overall

13 Inch Ultimate - ballparks and large fields

But there's only one way for you to find out what works best for you.... start collecting. LoL

I did see your post you lucky dog on the contrary the stock coil on etrac is driving me crazy here in Southwest PA it is going silent on me for long periods of time I'm wondering if it's the soil or the coil or the machine even if I turn the sensitivity down to three the only threshold I can hear is when the machine is not moving that's not all the time but a good bit of the time actually used at Pro in a yard a couple of weeks ago when I couldn't hold a threshold with the etrac think I will try the SEF 10 by 12 for now good luck

Mark,be aware that if you run NO disc,you will hear everything again,no nulling.
It is much better to run with no disc and hear it all and just work small areas at a time than to have the machine saying nothing! If the coil is not really moving anywhere with at least a little speed, your depth will be very limited,depending on your coil size. This can all be verified with a test bed...
And of course,you can try a factory reset to see if that clears things up to your satisfaction,in case the machine is "getting goofy".
Good luck!

Another vote for the 6x8 SEF (though I run an Explorer SE Pro, they are very similar). Great coil, deep for it's size, very stable.

Pro coil -- a very good all-around coil.

Detech 13" Ultimate -- may be my favorite coil; deep, separates very well for such a large coil, very stable, and very light for its size. A GREAT coil.

I run the 13" if hunting deep, and the 6x8 if hunting in trash, or small yards/curb strips. The Pro coil is great to have as an all-around backup coil.

Steve

I recently purchased the coiltek 6inch coil for my etrac and I was very impressed. It goes almost as deep as the stock coil and separation is awesome. I found my first seated dime with this coil in a trashy park area that I had hit before with the stock coil.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My etrac experiences variuso coils.

Depth wise on dime.

5" coil,,no more than 7".
6x8sef,,no more than 9".
Stock coil,,no more than 10"
Sef 10x12, no more than 10".

IMO sef 10x12 coil is best from above on 10" deep dime.

Sef 6x8" coil most deeper finds (dimes) more at 8" deep, very few detected at9" deep. Gotta run Etrac hot to hit them.

When I ordered my etrac last year i also ordered the NEL Sharpshooter 9.5x5.5" for it, i have never even put the stock coil on the machine. I hunt in alot of really dense undergrowth and generally tight quarters. It's a great thin coil for poking around in brush and under bushes, fits right in where the stock one might not. Great depth and i have had zero issues with it, and they are not too expensive either.

I have limited experience with the Etrac since I only got it a short time ago but I've gotten a few hunts in using both the 8x6 SEF and Ultimate 13" coils. I hit some of the same areas with both coils just to see the differences. The 8x6 was awesome at separating targets in really trashy areas. It was also very stable at higher sensitivity settings. Depth wasn't too bad either. It will definitely be my choice for hunting small to medium sized yards. The Ultimate coil has been decent as well. My only gripe with it is that it seems more prone to EMI. I can't run the sensitivity as high as the 8x6 in the same areas. Separation is almost as good as the 8x6 surprisingly. It's very well balanced for such a big coil as well. It also goes a tad deeper. I hit a heavily pounded yard the other day that was producing no more good sounding targets on both the Vaquero and the Etrac with the 8x6. I managed to pull two wheats from about 7" down that were on edge while running the Ultimate coil. Pinpointing isn't too bad with the Ultimate with some practice but the 8x6 is way more accurate. All I've been running is the stock relic program in TTF. As I gain more experience I'll try some other settings in the future but this seems to be working well for me right now.

When running a FBS machine in trashy ground or tight spaces I'll use the Detech 6" EQ2 coil, and at spots holding deep old targets...places where most all of the clad and shallow targets have been harvested already...I prefer the NEL 12x13 Tornado. On most hunts I just run one of the old Explorer 10.5" coils, depth and separation is the same as with the 11" Pro coil...but the Ex coils are way more robust and they definitely hang up less on sticks, brush and stubble compared to the Pro coil.

When running a FBS machine in trashy ground or tight spaces I'll use the Detech 6" EQ2 coil, and at spots holding deep old targets...places where most all of the clad and shallow targets have been harvested already...I prefer the NEL 12x13 Tornado. On most hunts I just run one of the old Explorer 10.5" coils, depth and separation is the same as with the 11" Pro coil...but the Ex coils are way more robust and they definitely hang up less on sticks, brush and stubble compared to the Pro coil.

What program(s)/settings do you find work best on these machines when looking for deep coins, Captain?

8x6 SEF for trash and Ultimate 13 for nearly everything else. The U 13 ks not only deaper than the stock coil, but is lighter and easier to swing.

What program(s)/settings do you find work best on these machines when looking for deep coins, Captain?

Conductive sounds, little or no disc, manual sens as high as possible while keeping a somewhat steady threshold, variability, volume and limits maxed and the gain a bit below max...when using a big coil in old parks and ballfields where the remaining targets are deep and the first 6" of dirt is 'hunted out' already.

Conductive sounds, little or no disc, manual sens as high as possible while keeping a somewhat steady threshold, variability, volume and limits maxed and the gain a bit below max...when using a big coil in old parks and ballfields where the remaining targets are deep and the first 6" of dirt is 'hunted out' already.

I'll have to give that a try. Thank you!

I own a bunch of coils for my Etrac. Stock coil is a killer coil. I also have...

SunRay x5...this little coil has accounted for a great portion of my silver. It is incredible in super trashy areas.

SEF 6x8...Everyone loves this coil. I absolutely hate it. I had it sold her, but the buyer backed out. Heavy for its size. For me very unstable. I have found silver with it, but just don't have confidence in it.

Sunray X8 ....I don't have a lot of time on this coil, but it is rock solid, and found me quite a bit of good finds in a farm yard I hit hard with stock coil and x5. I believe depth is as good as stock coil, and separates well.

NEL Tornado... This is probably the coil I use the most. A little heavy...Super deep...will drive you crazy with tiny deep targets,. This is probably my favorite coil.

Sunray X12...I just got this coil, and haven't gotten a chance to try it. I'm going to hopefully hit one of my most productive farm fields tomorrow morning with this coil. I have high hopes for the X12

As a parting thought from this thread Mark...one of the great things about the eTrac/Explorers/Safari is that ALL of the factory and aftermarket coils available for them interchange. It is seemingly never ending. An old Explorer coil will work on the eTrac...Pro coil on the old Explorer....small,large,medium...it turns a VERY versatile machine into one that’s even more so,giving the user the ability to hunt in every terrestrial situation....and wading!

Thanks to all

I know we have alot of Etrac users out there. Would like to here from some of you, your thoughts and reasons for the coil you use most.

Are the after market coils better than the stock coils and if so why ?

What is the best coil in your opinion along with what application you use it for.

Thanks, Mark
Again, thanks to all for you for your input. The amount of helpful info one gets from the members of this forum is staggering. Since this post I have been hunting with a SEF 10x12 coil. Not sure if it is the coil or I'm just getting better with the Etrac, but I am finding more silver and killing on the nickles. Now my thoughts are leaning towards a Sunray x8 for curbstripping and such. Still haven't hit that deep silver-10 in.or more down but I feel its only a matter of time. One problem we have here in SW Pa. is the soil is tuff. There have been few places where I have been able to crank up the sensitivity passed 20-21. Happy New Year to all. Mark

Back
Top Bottom