Revolutionary War Bullet?

blacksambellamy

So I was hunting some woods near my home in NJ and found this lead fragment 14 inches down. I was wondering if it was a bullet fragment? The area I was hunting did see some Revolutionary War fighting.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.JPG
    IMG_1174.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1175.JPG
    IMG_1175.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 285
thank you for your reply.. How can you tell its much later? If you had to put a date on it when would you say its from?

Thank you for your help.

I would say mid 18oo's , but looks to me like a piece of camp lead, but I for sure would hunt that area some more.

Patina certainly looks like "old lead". I find quite a few rev war musket balls. Along with the balls, shot and dropped, we find oodles of nondescript pieces of lead. Hard to tell exactly what that is. As was mentioned, I'd definitely hunt the area more, somebody was there.

thank you for your reply.. How can you tell its much later? If you had to put a date on it when would you say its from?

Thank you for your help.

Because it looks like a pointed bullet, those were not in common use until nearly the civil war. But I think MrBob has a better theory, camp lead. In that case there is no way to date it. Even if it was a pointed bullet, nobody can say if it is 30 years old or 130 years old (although some people here will claim they can).

Back
Top Bottom