Found a nice early war Cavalry camp yesterday

umrgolf

Went out looking for a cavalry camp I've been searching for lately, and finally found it yesterday. In two days of hunting I ended up with a complete ramrod, 48 burnsides, 5 burnside cartridges, 5 colt pistol bullets, a sword hanger, a sling belt hook, a couple eagle cuff buttons etc. Not pictured is the usual horse tack iron- horseshoes, bits, etc.

Hope the rest of the year goes this way :grin:

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1486.JPG
    IMG_1486.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 351
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 359
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 354
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 346
Very nice buddy. HH

thanks, went from zero burnsides about 2 weeks ago to about 60 in 2 small camps.. I guess not many units out here had them because I've hunted several cavalry camps around the area and never gotten one

thanks, went from zero burnsides about 2 weeks ago to about 60 in 2 small camps.. I guess not many units out here had them because I've hunted several cavalry camps around the area and never gotten one
Cool buddy. There funny bullets they kind of rot. Like they're made of bad quality lead. At least the ones I have found.

Impressive haul there!

Cool buddy. There funny bullets they kind of rot. Like they're made of bad quality lead. At least the ones I have found.

My guess would be the brass, lead, and gunpowder makes a corrosive reaction in the ground. But that's just a supposition, I could be wrong. Seems to happen with a lot of brass casing bullets of the era though.

Seen a lot of rot on the enfield bullets at my site from the 55th mass regiment picket. They just kinda crumble.

Nice finds brother... Keep on truckin!

Congrats on the nice finds! Hopefully you can get some more before the ground gets any harder here in missouri.

The gunpowder being used up to the invention of smokeless powder is very corrosive. It is bad enough that the brass is not considered safe for any form of reloading!!

Impressive haul there!

My guess would be the brass, lead, and gunpowder makes a corrosive reaction in the ground. But that's just a supposition, I could be wrong. Seems to happen with a lot of brass casing bullets of the era though.

You're right on the money here. All the cartridges I found by themselves are complete, not too much damage. All the bullets that didn't show signs of having the remains of the cartridge are in excellent shape. ALL bullets that had a portion of the cartridge attached are in much worse condition. 90% of the cartridge has disintegrated, and the bullets are even starting to pit, like Digger70Pa was talking about.

Great digs! That's a heck of a start to the New Year. What type of base do those burnsides have? I've never seen one in person

They're solid base bullets, but had a long, peculiar brass cartridge. They look so funny in the pictures because most of them have remains of the cartridge attached but most of the brass has rotted away.

Back
Top Bottom