My First Civil War Relic

louie088

Elite Member
Found my first Civil War Relic and didn't even know it!. Thanks to a member helping me ID (Silver Shano).
I'm very excited about this find! What are some of your thoughts about the location it was found being on a Western, PA farm? I'm familiar with my areas history and I'm pretty sure there were no battles of Skirmishes around for miles. And did confederate soldiers come this far north? The location I found it on is a big grazing hill. Probably the highest point in the area on the hill side.

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 882
  • 20140918_173034 (2).jpg
    20140918_173034 (2).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 898
Nice find!

Doesn't have to be related to a battle in PA.

"based on analysis of regimental records from Virginia, a startling 2,000 Pennsylvanians are believed to have fought in the Confederate armies"

I know they were at Gettysburg :roll: . lol
I live in Irwin, Pa. You can look into it. There wasn't any Civil War activity around here (Irwin). But.. Maybe someone brought it home with them? Maybe it was from a awol soldier? Who knows. Its neat to think how it may have got here. I know I'm in PA but I'm not very close to Gettysburg. Surprised to hear that there were so many Pennsylvanians that fought as confederacy. I would have thought this far north mostly would have been fighting for the Union.
Forgive me, I have not done much reading on the Civil War yet. I live near where part of General Braddocks road come through and have been spending most of my research time on the French and Indian war. I'm working my up to the Civil war lol. There sooo much history in Pennsylvania.
Thanks
Lou

The links you posted kinda contradict themselves. None in the buckle pictures in the link you posted are the same as the one I found. There are no markings or patent dates on the one i found. Also there is a link in the thread you posted that does in fact say it is a Civic War piece. Its even listed in a book titled "Howard R. Crouch's Horse Equipment of the Civil War Era" Either way I happy I found it. Thank you for your post though

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/398631-must-go-strap.html

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but those buckle covers are post war. They have a patent date of 1870s, I believe. They have been called civil war by many people but the truth is they are post war.

That is not the same buckle. Similar style, but not the same. I have found one also and mine does not have a patent date or any other writing on it. They were in fact used during the civil war, but not issued by either side. There have been many found at civil war sites. I wouldn't label it from the civil war, but I would say civil war era.

Nice find. However, these were a popular civilian item up until the early 1900s. Many were used in the CW, on both sides for that matter. They get pushed to the Confederates simply under the assumption that "the army issued everything." In many cases in state units the states bought their own gear, some regiments had to buy their own. Officers also had to purchase their own. And of course I'm sure the Confederates had a pile of them too. It is a really cool relic, but not necessarily Confederate, and not necessarily Civil War.

Charlie

I can't get the page to copy, but go to the Treasure Net and the ID section. Look up horse buckle shieldhttp://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/316026-confederate-blanket-buckle-also-solid-bronze-buckle.html?highlight=horse+buckle+coverss.

Check this out. It is about five pages of debate on these very buckles. It is above, I just posted it. I can't get it to link but copy in your address bar and it should work.

I've found the same thing here on our farm in Mo. Definitely a cool find!

I am with Charlie Tuna. I have seen these buckles called "Civil War" buckles, but I have found a few of them here in central Oklahoma, on sites that I KNOW did not have Civil War history. The sites I've found them on date to the very end of the 1800s/early 1900s at the earliest, so I've always assumed them to be 19th century horse tack that was used into the early 20th century.

Steve

sadly I have to chime in with the "non CW" crowd

I found one of these in Illinois where there were no civil war battles.

After digging into it I found that civilians used these until turn of century, they are civil war era but almost impossible to connect to the civil war unless they are on a battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom