My Very First Beach Hunt

EyeDetectLove

Still a total and complete newbie here.

I'm not too fond of the idea of metal detecting at the beach. It's too hot, too many people. If I wait until everyone leaves, there leaves not enough day for me to have fun. I don't know. I just never seem to think it'll be fun.

Well, my buddy has a house on the beach. And this is my 3rd time visiting. I decided to detect right outside his back deck. And then I went out and scoured the beach for 2 hours. Result? NOTHING at the beach but ONE toy car and a bunch of trash. Outside his door? A few things. Some quarters, a Canadian dollar coin, a bunch of corroded zinc pennies and one 50 cent peso. (pictured)

I'm not diggin' the beach. (pun intended)

2ilk1og.jpg

First Beach Hunt

You will probably get more responses with a posting in the Beach and Water section. You didn't mention what area you were hunting, but beach hunting takes a certain skill set that is different from dirt hunting. One of the main things is to scout out where people congregate on the beach. More people = more treasure. Proper detector and sand scoop is a must. Recovery is certainly easier in the sand. Hope you have better success, but there is always dirt hunting available. Good luck!!

Keep at it EYE, you will be finding the good stuff soon. Good Luck, Happy Hunting.

You are right...Its horrible! I hate it every year! Its NO Fun at ALL!
Mindless swinging for miles and miles of sand! I kept track a few years ago...I walked over 100 miles of beach barefoot detecting in July alone!

Really I hate it...its exhausting and theres a lot of quiet between pings, but I live right here in an area with all these beaches so I sorta gotta do it...

I will say there are some tricks to 'up' your success...if you really like to walk on the sand...like getting up and out at 4am and hunting until @7-8am every day in season..thats what I do...never in the day time and seldom in the evening, only really early...lots of guys hunt right after the crowds leave in the evening though...
Mud.

You will probably get more responses with a posting in the Beach and Water section. You didn't mention what area you were hunting, but beach hunting takes a certain skill set that is different from dirt hunting. One of the main things is to scout out where people congregate on the beach. More people = more treasure. Proper detector and sand scoop is a must. Recovery is certainly easier in the sand. Hope you have better success, but there is always dirt hunting available. Good luck!!

Again, total newbie. I didn't even know there was a separate section. Oops. Thank you!!!

P.S. This was the Huntington Beach area in Cali. And on this particular two days I hunted. There were two separate school outings (about 30 or 40 kids). They ended up hanging out for about an hour or two in this one spot. So I waited for them to leave to detect. Nothing. But I can't complain. I'm at the beach. :) haha

If you want success at the beach you may want to check old postings by others that are from your coast. Many of them have been at it for decades. Absorb the knowledge they have been gracious enough to share. From the postings that I have seen the sand has buried most of the goodies and you are dependant mostly on " fresh drops". The members would located in the beach hunting forums. Possibly also in the Ca. State forum. There is one fellow that has numerous articles that you can access through his postings. Good luck.

The beach where I go early in the morning starts the pay to park at 08:00 so about 7:50 you'll see all the MDers begin the walk to their cars. No one wants the $25 kiss.:lol:

A lot of beaches on the East Coast are sanded in because we haven't had any heavy storms for years. So many good finds are below the scope of our machines. The only finds are recent drops.

Im in NE Florida and it's hard to even find bottle caps!! BUT it's nice when you do score. This 10K white gold ring was my reward for diligence two weeks ago. First beach ring since November.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 291
Back
Top Bottom