Bacteria kills 3 / hospitalizes 13 ... Health & Safety Warning for Sarasota

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
As an Occupational Safety & Health Professional, I've seen similar types of bacteria in fresh water, but SALT WATER?? ...this is new to me. Anyhow, the safety precautions seem pretty much the same as those with other flesh eating bacterias. Don't enter the water with open wounds, cuts or if you have a weakened immune system.

For more info click on the full article at ... http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/s...cus-in-florida-ocean-hospitalizes-32-kills-10 which says...

New warnings issued Monday surrounding a bacteria found in the ocean that has already killed several people in Florida.

It is called Vibrio vulnificus, a cousin of the bacterium that causes Cholera and it thrives in warm saltwater. "Since it is naturally found in warm marine waters, people with open wounds can be exposed to Vibrio vulnificus through direct contact with seawater," the Florida Department of Health said in a statement.

The Florida Department of Health reports 13 people have contracted the bacteria and 3 have died from the strain. Last year, 41 people were infected and 11 died. Florida isn't the only state to report Vibrio vulnificus infections. Alabama, Louisiana, Texas and Mississippi have also recorded cases.

"It's quite discouraging because the beach is one of the more popular hobbies in Florida," said Tracy Brown of West Palm Beach.

Brown, who was enjoying a day at the beach with her daughter, had not really heard about the Vibrio bacterium.

She was stunned to hear someone could become sick by simply entering the water.

"The last thing you want to think about is going to the beach and leaving with something you least expect," said Brown.

Florida Department of Health experts said anyone with a compromised immune system or anyone with an open cut should not go into the water. Those who do jump into the ocean should wash off before heading home .

"It's definitely something to take serious, but there are a number of other bacteria, that you could run into," said Tim O'Connor, a spokesperson for the Florida Department of Health.

O'Connor said the state is closely monitoring the Vibrio bacteria. So far, he said the situation is not severe.

No cases have yet to be reported in Palm Beach County.

"It's definitely something we need to be more wary of especially if it's going to affect us sooner than later, it needs to be known," said Brown.

The deadly bacteria can also be contracted from consuming raw seafood like oysters.

Steve Gyland, owner of Cod and Cappers Fish Market, is all too familiar with the impact the Vibrio bacteria can have on someone, he survived it.

"It was like you were on fire. Like a burn-blister from a fire. It was weeks before I could walk on that leg," said Gyland.

On a scuba diving trip to the Bahamas, Gyland came into contact with the bacteria through a blister on his left foot.

Had he waited, Gyland believes it could have been worse.

"You could just watch the red, blistery skin just grow and expand and move up your leg," said Gyland.

But Gyland also sells an item at his market that the state health department warns is a leading cause of contracting the Vibrio bacteria, raw oysters.

"If we eat raw foods, there's always a risk, absolutely there's a risk," said Gyland.

Gyland said he posts warning all over his store and suggests people who are worried should buy oysters from cooler climates to the north.

The state health department said it is monitoring the situation and is telling consumers to cook their oysters before eating the shellfish.

Yeah, I've seen that in the news, past few years. Suspect it's more common than they let on, just some people have a more serious reaction to exposure. Also kind seems like it's most active in areas with a lot of cruise ships. Maybe related to purging certain storage tanks before docking.

Many of the cases are river to ocean related down here. But hey..... we have sharks, sting rays, jelly fish, and about anything that can kill you in the water...... not to mention a gang or two on the dry sand.:laughing: At my age .... odds are i wont go from bacteria.

Dew

Surprisingly enough I don't hear much about cases like this in my neck of the woods. In the daytime kids under 12 will take a wiz right on the wetsand with 19,999 other people beside them. Kids under 6 #1 and #2 wherever. No diaper needed. At night all ages are fair game for #1 or #2 anywhere on the beach including wet sand, high tide line, pathways, beside benches or under lifeguard stands.
Must be disease and bacteria everywhere

Yeah...This is a dangerous Planet for Humans, moreso now that the internet came along...Theres also that one amoeba that gets up in your nose an eats your brain out too...

We are all cut and nicked daily, wading around in skunkwater all the time hunting for gold...barefooting on the beach...Something out there is gonna kill a guy I guess...For me, I would prefer a Grizzly bear though, or a Moose, or falling through the ice...

I'd hate to get myself killed by a tiny microscopic organism, or dying from a heart attack behind my desk at work, best case would be to fall out from a lightening strike chest deep in the water, or a bull shark!

If I got to pick, best case scenario would be to die at the hands of a jealous Husband half my age....Or saving a kid in a housefire...not from some miniscule bug or from eating an oyster....I dont want to get killed by a crocodile though, or a hippopotamus...thats just over the top there...I live in Michigan..so its likely a heart attack or falling through the ice, or caught in the sack by a jealous Husband, (not likely, but we are all dreaming here right?)...hopefully it will be chest deep in Lake Mi before Sun-up from some sort of physical hydraulic infarction...or hypothermia even...I'd take that...
Mud

Many of the cases are river to ocean related down here. But hey..... we have sharks, sting rays, jelly fish, and about anything that can kill you in the water...... not to mention a gang or two on the dry sand.:laughing: At my age .... odds are i wont go from bacteria.

Dew

+1 , but it does pay to stay informed , I'd be worried for the kids !
HH

Don't enter the water with open wounds, cuts

If I avoided the ocean every time I have a cut I would never surf, MD, or swim. I am much more worried about getting staph at the beach then this. 40 cases per millions of people at the beach doesn't get me too worried. If you look at the stats, in 2014 FL has 97 million tourists. Lets say that only 10 million of them visited the beach, that would mean that .000004 chance of contacting this...and its even less because more people visited the beach

But yes, you should shower after the beach or at least that day before bed. Dont go into the water if you have deep cuts like ones that are bleeding/oozing. And using antibacterial soaps can help a lot too, especially after the ocean.

It's just part of natural selection. So many people trying to live forever. When I can no longer do the things I enjoy doing its time for me to go for that long walk in the woods.

triple antibiotic ointment

A tube of triple antibiotic ointment is handy to cover any nicks,scrapes,etc Before going in Any water. The oily base will give pretty long protection.:cool:

It's a stinkin shame what we do to our planet. Sewage usually is the cause for bacteria in the water. Who the hell wants to scoop up turds? Open wounds? Half the time I cut myself I don't even know it. I would sure hate to nip myself in the led with my Stealth Scoop. I never go to public pools anymore. Nothing but toilets in my mind. :gaah:

As an Occupational Safety & Health Professional, I've seen similar types of bacteria in fresh water, but SALT WATER?? ...this is new to me. Anyhow, the safety precautions seem pretty much the same as those with other flesh eating bacterias. Don't enter the water with open wounds, cuts or if you have a weakened immune system.

I have a weekend immune system! If it's not the weekend, I'm not immune! :laughing:

R5

Lido beach is one of my beaches that I hunt,,,,,,I don't worry about the bacteria BUT I worry about sharks,,,,lots of them at that beach,,,,also, more sting rays than any other beach I hunt,,,,,,open wounds is a no no,,,,,,GL HH

Ooooops i forgot to add a couple MORE LIKELY things to look out for than bacteria..........large snakes and NOW Nile crocks. All we need now is Piranha....

Ooooops i forgot to add a couple MORE LIKELY things to look out for than bacteria..........large snakes and NOW Nile crocks. All we need now is Piranha....

I saw that yesterday on the news!~ Nile Crocs in the Everglades! Sheesh, great big pythons too! Probably Anacondas even! You know theres piranhas especially with the peacock bass doing so well, why wouldnt there be?..

Come up to the cool clean North my Brothers! We dont have anything bitey or stingey up here! No poisonous snakes or spiders, (that amount to anything) no stingrays, probably no bullsharks, but you know them...definitely no pythons or Nile Crocs...maybe a few piranha that hang out by the warm water outlet of the power plants, not roving around in vast herds though...

We dont even have to pay to park at the beach! I dont know you Southern Salties ever live past 40...
Mud

News report last week stated antibiotic resistant bacteria soon will kill more people than cancer, seems everyone is now walking around with antibiotics in their system due to antibiotics being over precribed by doctors for just about everything. Add to that antibiotcs in the meat supply from factory farming, in turn waste used as fertilizer in the groundwater, ends up in private wells and streams. No wonder all these unexplained illnesses. If you think your'e safe drinking city water your'e not. Everything flushed down the toilet winds up in the main source for water usually a river. Flint? I would head for the hills but probably not safe there either.

Back
Top Bottom