Hoard of Lead

Top-USMC

Forum Supporter
So I went to the end of my local beach today, near the river mouth. People don't really hang out here except for after hours from the clubs. This is about a 300 yard stretch that isn't used for swimming or sun bathing. But I found out that 30 years ago this was an area where people would park on the beach and party. This entire beach area is kind of in a bay so it isn't really affected by the longshore drift.

The bay is heavily fished by locals in small (14 - 16 foot) wooden boats mostly using nets.

I discover that there is quite a lot of oil pollution in the and here. It makes sticky balls and it can be seen in the photo with my scoop. What looks like a little rock overhang is actually oil in the sand with a few rocks mixed in. :-(

So I start in this area and spent six hours digging all of this lead, a few copper and brass pieces and a couple of washers. All from in this little area shown in the photo with the scoop. The deepest target was about 14 inches. The shell and small rock/gravel layer starts at about 6 inches. The larger rocks were all basically on the surface.

Is this where I should expect to find gold? Is this where it would accumulate over time along with all this lead?

The keys, pulltabs etc. were found in a shell line just below the previous high tide mark. Would lighter jewelry also be found here or do you think that these items were dropped in this area?

I did not get all of the lead yet. The tide came in and my BH SS2 can't handle the saltwater. It barely works in the wet sand.
So I am just exploring for when I get to bring my CZ21 to this spot.

The map of the area is at https://www.google.com.br/maps/@-26....1783,14z?hl=en

The red diamond at the bottom of the location photo below shows where I was hunting.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

Attachments

• 20160525_130407.jpg
    20160525_130407.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 20160525_165854.jpg
    20160525_165854.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 413
  • 20160525_165905.jpg
    20160525_165905.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 424
  • location.jpg
    location.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 414
Lots of lead and keys. I would keep hunting that spot.

Lots of lead and keys. I would keep hunting that spot.

Some of the sinkers are old some not so old. Should I assume that these sinkers were lost somewhere in the bay at some point in time and this means that the ocean is moving heavy objects to this corner of the bay? Or maybe only those things lost out in deep water? So the swim area losses won't show up here?

I know this area hasn't really been detected. There have been a few high speed passes in the dry sand from an AT Pro user and a homemade PI machine. Those are the only ones I have seen out here.

Watching the water come ashore here it seems to come straight into the beach and doesn't really look like the other more exposed beaches in the area. The map doesn't show how closed the bay really is. We very seldom see waves over 1 - 1.5 feet.

Thanks for everyone's comments, experiences and opinions. IMHO researches always pays off and the best research I can get is a little bit of history here and the expertise of you pirates out there. :-)

+1

I already have my flight booked! (teasing but I wish!)

Let us know when you want to come.
It is a small place but the location is awesome. Nothing quite like coffee on the balcony watching the sun come up over the ocean.

Attachments

• 20160329_062406.jpg
    20160329_062406.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 373
Nice haul of lead. Seems like you're in the right spot for some shiny stuff.

I think my BH just can't see small stuff in the wet sand. I went back to the same area and worked the shell line just below the last high tide. I found a few pieces of lead and a few coins. 3 pieces of junk jewelry. But as soon as I get to the real wet sand, I can't even detect a bottle cap right at the surface.

Oh well, it'll be a good area when I get my CZ 21 next month. :-)

I took my CZ when I 1st bought it to a private school playground that I had exclusive access too and that I had hit hard multiple times over the years with my BH Discovery 3300. That time I took it out, I got my first and only 2 Buffs and a silver coin because it was deeper than my BH.

I to would work that spot until it gave up the goods.

I probably won't get back to it before August but by then I'll have my CZ 21.
It is interesting that I noted during the holiday weekend here, the pier is covered with fisherman. Looking at the layout again my guess is that this cache of lead is due to the lost sinkers just from the pier area and not from the general bay.

Anyway, it was fun digging up something besides pulltabs and bottle caps with my Bounty Hunter. :D

Back
Top Bottom