Anyone ever hunt Fiji?

cntrydncr1

Elite Member
Will be headed to Fiji and wondered what the rules are for detecting there. Can't find any information. I've even tried emailing the resort and no response. Any help??

I would be suspicious of any answer that a resort could give you. I mean, unless they gave you some chapter and verse law that actually truly said "no md'ing".

There was a humorous case of someone getting ready to go to one of the South American (Caribbean ?) tourist beach destinations. They inquired ahead, to the hotel, asking if md'ing was ok. The resort replied "no". And their rationale was : Mating turtles can't be bothered. !!! ?? What does that have to do with md'ing ?? The md'r posted on a thread that md'ing wasn't allowed at this beach, per the answer the hotel had given him. Meanwhile, several others chimed in on the thread, saying they've detected there and never had a problem.

So as you can see, you can get some odd-ball answers, depending on who you ask, how you phrase the question, etc...

You don't need express allowances to detect. If you've looked, and see no laws that say "no md'ing", then presto, it's not dis-allowed. So just go there and look for that ring your wife lost the night before. I authorize it. :cool:

I usually figure the same...if it is not posted then it is ok but often the resorts will not allow it even though it is legal. That is why I was checking with them. Looking for something definitive!

Better to ask forgiveness than permission sometimes Deb. You need to keep us informed when you are out of town so we can plunder your beaches.:laughing:

cool

Can't recall but some one and I believe it was on a UK forum actually made a post of all countries in the world and the detecting laws...wish I could find it for you!

Can't recall but some one and I believe it was on a UK forum actually made a post of all countries in the world and the detecting laws...wish I could find it for you!

There has been several such attempts to make compendiums like that. And in a lot of cases, the information is questionable.

For example, I once had a detector listed on ebay. And ... surprisingly ... the winning bidder was someone from Europe. I had failed to limit the bids to continental USA. But the fellow paid full shipping around the world, so I honored the sale.

HOWEVER, my curiosity got the better of me. Because you see: His country was one of the ones , on those nifty compendiums, that had .... uh ... "dire language" . If not seemingly outright forbidden. So.... I linked the fellow to that link, and asked "how can you guys detect, given such dire info. as this ?"

He said that if you look closely at the language of the law(s), you will notice that they apply to public land. Therefore you can hunt private land (farmer's fields, just like they do in England) to your heart's content.

But if a person were simply only casually looking at the nifty compendium, it might *sound* like the dire language applies "border to border". So these guys were finding no shortage of places to hunt. And ... he told me .... that .... uh ... quite frankly .... they were so far back in the woods when they hunt, that there's not anyone around to care anyhow.

This made me wonder then just how accurate the rest of the list & countries would be.

Better to ask forgiveness than permission sometimes Deb. You need to keep us informed when you are out of town so we can plunder your beaches.:laughing:

You sure don't need me to be gone! I have to hunt daily to even half way keep up with you!

Back
Top Bottom