New old guy needs advice.

plain ol Bill

Hi folks - just joined the forum and thought I would introduce myself and get some advice for a newbie at the same time hopefully. I go by the user name plain ol Bill cause I'm about as plain as an Oklahoma dirt farmer's left thumb. Folks I have never used a detector. I have inherited from friends that have gone on :(a couple of detectors. An entry level Bounty hunter, and a Fisher Gold Bug. Both units are in very good condition and the Gold Bug was never used. We are leaving western Washington in a couple of weeks headed out to spend three warmer months on the TX gulf coast at Rockport. Folks are the two detectors I have decent ones to work Padre Island? I do not think either of them are water proof so have no plans to work in the surf, plus at my age the surf might well knock me down. I have purchased a decent sand scoop that I can put a handle in to use.

I am getting on up in age and have definite problems getting up and down. How do others with mobility problems hunt?

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

I'm not familiar with those models but some other members should be, as far as that location "Padre Island", I'm not familiar with that area but did a forum search and found this thread -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=130211&highlight=Padre%2AIsland

the above thread includes "I read that Padre Island is off limits to detecting due to it being a National Seashore." so you might need to see if members familiar with that area can verify what areas you might need to avoid, if any.

your question about mobility reminded me of this thread -

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=251379&highlight=mobility

the above thread might have some ideas you can use.

:mder:_____:mder: _____:mder:_____:mder:

Welcome to the forum Bill! I can't speak to those detectors, but I can tell you that you'll love the hobby and the plethora of great advice you'll get here...

If you stick to dry sand either detector will work ok when you get near wet sand you will hear some static from the salt/minerals in the water.

You might want to get a simple harness like the detecting buddy from detector pro and when you dig lift with your knees. A full scoop of sand can be heavy until you get used to it.

Learn to be accurate with pinpointing, it'll save time on the ground. Try to get some farm fields to hunt, use a long handle shovel, very little bending over/stooping.

The 2 most important things I've learned as I've gotten older.......never pass a bathroom, and never trust a fart.

Welcome from Floresville Texas, I have metal detected along South Padre Island, Andy Bowie Park specifically I have seen others detecting there too. I detected along the dry line and out of the water even though most coils are water proof. Your operating manual will specify what can and cannot get wet. I have used a sand scoop that is mounted on a extension which can be pressed into the sand with your foot pressure and pull out your scoop, flip over and the screen on the back side allows the sand to be rinsed/shaken out thus leaving your find. I do not have it anymore but you should be able to google search for one.
It's been at least 10 years since I have detected that area but I have been there since and not seen any signs posted against metal detecting and seen others detecting without any issues. The only ones I had bother me were kids curios of my treasures.
My finds consisted of clad coins that were too corroded to do anything with.
There is so much beach line that you should be able to cover a lot of ground. I have never detected in front of the hotel areas, only the general public areas/parks.
Good luck!

:fmdfwelcome: Thank you for joining us! It sounds like you're off to a great start! Which Bounty Hunter machine do you have, if I may ask?

One good way to get the hang of the hobby is to start detecting in your own yard, if possible. This will help you become acquainted with your detectors, as well as give you practice in digging and filling nice, neat holes (which we detectorists usually call "plugs"). :D When I was very new to detecting, I found that there are YouTube channels, such as NuggetNoggin, which are also helpful in learning the ropes. Hope this helps a little, and that you have fun with your new hobby! We are glad to have you. :grin:

I have never used a gold bug but it sounds like a decent mid level detector. I have used an entry level bounty hunter and they are fun, but they will make you appreciate the mid level machine.

I have a "competitor" stabbing clad in the parks and tot lots that has problems getting up and down and he uses a 5gallon bucket stool with a rope handle that has it barely off the ground and he kind of bumps it against his cane.
I thought about getting one myself, I'm only good for a couple of hours of getting up and down before I'm ready for a break.
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Buc...ocphy=9023811&hvtargid=pla-309887304655&psc=1

welcome from Atlanta Bill

either detector will work. I would personally use the gold bug because I had one and they are very sensitive.

a good sand scoop with a long handle will solve the bending and stooping and kneeling problem. Wire type scoops are better for soft dry sand, but the more solid aluminum scoop with round holes are better for wet sand and stones and shells.

good luck, it is fun and enjoy the warm weather.

Back
Top Bottom