Been on the wrong end....

Gauntlet

Forum Supporter
Of a set of post hole differs for 2 days :(

Took down 88' of wooden privacy fence (stick built, not prefab junk) to move it, have 64' back up.

Started yesterday. I'm glad its going to rain in the AM :laughing:

I worked-out Monday, but called-off Wed/Fri because the past 2 days have kicked my butt! Was actually considering taking a week off anyway.

I lifted a total of 20,000 lbs in a single workout last week, and was nowhere near as sore as I am right now.

Off to crawl to bed.

Not in bed.....to bed :lol:

It's the impact that's rough digging post holes. Makes me glad that I don't do it anymore.
I picked up a 3-pt hydraulic post driver 15yrs ago, and I haven dug a post hole since. I just pound 'em in!

Lots of clay here, and was on a hillside, which made digging much worse. Not to mention, the dozen or so phillips driver bits I had were worn, and I never remember to pick-up another pack, so I manage to slip off a couple screws, and run the bit into my index finger, and thumb on the same hand :laughing:

I'm glad I woke to the sound of rain this AM :D

I think I have 3 more posts to set, so hopefully this little bit of rain will make that a little easier. That will get me back to having all the fence up, though I had always intended on extending it a bit more. That will wait, and likely be done a section at a time, with a long rest period between. :lol:

What was that line Danny Glover always said in Lethal Weapon?

"I'm getting too old for this ........" :yes:

I grew up on a farm and probably helped my Grandfaather dig several miles of post holes. When the ground was too hard, he would fill the hole with water and we would come back again the next day.

I hope you don't really mean you were on the wrong end of the post hole digger. I'm sure you worked really hard and I don't want to take away from that at all. But being on the "wrong end" of the digger would be very painful indeed. :lol::lol:

Nearing 2" of rain today, so likely have to "set out" tomorrow as well, but I may give it a try. I'm pretty much working near the crest of the hill, so run-off should help.

Soreness has subsided a bit, so I'm happy for that.

I hope you don't really mean you were on the wrong end of the post hole digger. I'm sure you worked really hard and I don't want to take away from that at all. But being on the "wrong end" of the digger would be very painful indeed. :lol::lol:

lol....is there a right end? I know the handle end is painful, and could only guess the other is as well. :laughing:

It sounds as if you're using a clamshell type of digger. I suggest you stop that, and "graduate" to an auger style. So much nicer than the impact that you keep abusing yourself with.

Roger

I refuse to dig more than two or maybe three holes with a PHD. I rent a gasoline powered auger and do it the easy way. You could have dug all those holes in a couple hours and saved your body all the brutal pounding. Of course the telephone company wanted to know what company built the last fence I put up. I had no idea who had been hired to do the job.

When I first started this property, I'd rented a skidsteer along with a 10" auger. I used the bucket for stump removal, old foundation removal (and bury), grading, and holes for all the fence posts as well as barn posts. I couldn't have taken it to where I had just moved this fence anyway. A 1-2 man auger would have been tough to use as well, especially with all the tree roots I had to deal with. I even had to dig/pull one 6" diameter stump that was right where a post needed to be.

Finished-up (with what I'd taken down) yesterday. Was a perfect day, overcast, looked like rain any second. The previous days 1.5" of rain did little to soften the ground. I am going to extend another 4 sections, but at 1 section at a time. Since the goober next door knocked-down all the woods, it opened-up the privacy I once had for my fire pit.

Spent half the day back in my small patch of woods cleaning-up a bit. Cutting some small undergrowth trees, cleaning up a raspberry patch I'd forgotten about, and trimmed some of the limbs overhanging the fence from either side.

Best thing was, I'd developed an issue with one of my security camera systems (horizontal lines on some of the cams on night vision), and fixed it by replacing the power supply 1st thing yesterday AM.

LOL, the way I've felt this week, I'll be glad to be back to lifting weights next week :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom