1884 Canadian half dime

CTpilgrim

Elite Member
I found this half dime about a month ago. It is a 1884 Canadian half dime near 4. I have never sold anything I’ve found but because it’s not a US coin I’m not extremely attached to it. I researched it and it is a key date with only 200,000 minted and is valued at $2370 in AU 50 condition and about $8000 in MS 63. I only cleaned the dirt off with water and did nothing else to it. My question is it worth getting graded or try to sell it as is. It is in incredible condition with absolutely no scratches and every detail extremely sharp. The only thing is the black staining from being in the ground. Pictures are tough because it is tiny but even every rib on the leaves on the reverse are visible. Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 6E9FF6B4-1A11-4E62-A561-3428B3CA912E.jpg
    6E9FF6B4-1A11-4E62-A561-3428B3CA912E.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 730
  • 5EAAA4BF-46E6-4BF6-AB69-3BEC183EF0C7.jpg
    5EAAA4BF-46E6-4BF6-AB69-3BEC183EF0C7.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 707
Very low mintage. I would first get an opinion from an LCS or two about sending for professional grading and start from there. Good luck.

It may be worth grading but I fear they may give it a details grade with environmental damage. Awsome coin either way

Congrats on a scarce and small coin! According to the Charlton Standard Catalog of Canadian Coins, I feel it would grade at least EF-40, and up to AU-50. The toning makes it difficult as does the photo of such a small coin. Excellent find, as you know there were only 200K minted which is the smallest mintage of the Victoria series!

It may be worth grading but I fear they may give it a details grade with environmental damage. Awsome coin either way

That is kind of what I’m afraid of with getting it graded. I will take it to a coin shop near me and see what they say. Thanks everyone for the replies

That is kind of what I’m afraid of with getting it graded. I will take it to a coin shop near me and see what they say. Thanks everyone for the replies

Don’t tell them you found it metal detecting or dug it. Let them decide on their own.
You found it and some friends said you should stop by and get it evaluated. Of course, they will press on where and how you found it...up to you.

Awesome find!! Good luck with what you decide, but sending it in for grading it will definitely be labeled as environmental damage most likely.

Don’t tell them you found it metal detecting or dug it. Let them decide on their own.
You found it and some friends said you should stop by and get it evaluated. Of course, they will press on where and how you found it...up to you.
Yep if that coin is deemed valuable it will be placed under magnification and that’s where dug or not will be determined.

The staining will definitely hurt its resale value. Grading companies will make note of that when they grade it. Buy prices can vary by a lot when you try to sell it. You'll just have to see how much you are offered for it and take the best offer.

I would think grading it would be beneficial regardless. You never know, I've seen dug coins come back from grading with no environmental damage on it, including a friends 1799 draped bust silver dollar. Good luck, and keep us posted on your experiences!

So I took my coin to my local coin shop where luckily I know the owner well. He took a good look at it and under magnification there are tiny scratches in the field of the coin. He said it has AU details but in his opinion it will get a details grade as it does have evidence of being in the ground. His advice was to list it on EBay and see what happens but he said he wouldn’t take less than 800$. I was hoping he had an interest in it but no market around here. I’ll list it and hopefully get enough to buy myself an equinox 800. Thanks everyone for the advice

Just wanted to post an update. I listed this coin on eBay and it sold in less than an hour. I won’t say for how much but it was enough for me to get an equinox 800. I guess I should have listed it for more. Oh well hopefully the next guy makes money off it

Just wanted to post an update. I listed this coin on eBay and it sold in less than an hour. I won’t say for how much but it was enough for me to get an equinox 800. I guess I should have listed it for more. Oh well hopefully the next guy makes money off it

Sounds like a winner to me. Next time you find one of those make sure to list it starting at $1200 or more. :)

Back
Top Bottom