Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 09-12-2019, 08:46 PM
OldCherryPicker

Originally Posted by KOB View post
It's done ! I did exactly that. Filled up the cover with 2 part epoxy , oozing all out. Then after the coil was all snapped firmly in place , I brushed all the edges for a more cleaner finish. Looks like a factory job ! Had to work very fast as this all set up in like 5 minutes. Works great , no longer have to worry about constantly taking off the cover to clean it. Thanks !
I love mine, no stopping in the middle of the hunt and checking it...plus the excal coils are famous for splitting or separating if they get banged a lot, or even tightening up the coil bolt.

You did Great with the 5 minute epoxy, that's some fast drying stuff!

I should have mentioned I used 24 hours cure epoxy..would have been easier on you..
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2019, 09:38 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by OBN View post
I love mine, no stopping in the middle of the hunt and checking it...plus the excal coils are famous for splitting or separating if they get banged a lot, or even tightening up the coil bolt.

You did Great with the 5 minute epoxy, that's some fast drying stuff!

I should have mentioned I used 24 hours cure epoxy..would have been easier on you..
My coil looks a little cleaner but as long as it's sealed good , looks don't matter. Yeah.. I've worked with 5 minute epoxy often. Not easy. You gotta mind map it a few times before you give it a go !

Old 09-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Elite Member

Iím not crazy about those epoxies just because they run a bit more than marine does. Sorry.....but Iíll never permanently epoxy that cover. I wear them in no time. So I just use marine epoxy on them and occasionally clean um.

Dew Meeker

Old 09-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

sand always gets in between the coil covers even dirt hunting epoxy is the best way to go like OBN mentioned i also put epoxy on the bottom of my coil cover because im a sand scaper they wear out fast and they arent cheap to replace

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar