Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by RobertM View post
Garrett will screw you if your product fails in warranty period.

Never been screwed by Garrett.

How did they screw you?

Old 05-25-2019, 01:05 AM

If you're stuck on buying new you might want to consider a Nokta/Makro Simplex. A lot of features for the money and you can bet it will be deep and fast.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:11 AM

Default treasure pro

I also live in iowa.have a garrett ace 400 which is great,also have a whites treasure pro which i like even more.either one is a good machine.been detecting since late 80s,started with a whites 6000 di pro.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:34 AM

Smile My 5 cents.

After weeks of reading about metal detectors; have already purchased 4 myself and fixed 2 of them. ( I tinker with electronics)

I own

Whites classics 3 (soon to be modded)
Garret GTA 350 (predecessor to the new Ace 350)
Gold digger from Bounty hunter.
Pioneer 505 from Bounty hunter.
Tesoro bandido 2 umax.

I have owned - Garret GT2500 (very good machine) really expensive for such old technology. The price lingers between 500-800$. A clone of it is the MD5008 Which is very affordable on ebay

What do I recommend?
My recommendation would be based on the budget amount.
If you are able to spend enough to buy a new machine and like to follow trends then either "deus or equinox " will do. They do take a bit of a learning curve from what i have read and heard on the internet. Those will set you back 850 to 1200$ to your door with 3-5 years warranty. * I believe 3-5 years on warranty on an item this expensive isn't near enough.

If you want a vdi - (visual display) then get a Garret AT/pro or gold. You can find used for about 400 or so. Their resale value is pretty good.
Fisher F75 is also an excellent choice. (preferred) due to its versatility and tones. Great reviews. 400$ or so used as well.

If your budget is less than 300$ then get used. Which do I recommend?

Even though they are mostly beep and dig with discrimination to iron/foil; and do have a nice discrimination for older tech - TESORO machines are top of the line. " too bad they ran out of business" If you can find either (Vaquero, Lobo, Tejon, Gold or silver Sabre, Bandido umax 1 or 2) then you are good.

Here is a guy that does excellent reviews and tests different manufacturers and gives unbiased opinions. his name is " Scannerguy1968 " on youtube.

These are my findings over weeks of looking into it; In the end, I am thinking of building my own from info following Geotech metal detecting forum.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:46 AM

While on this subject, where do you recommend finding used detectors in this price range? I have no problem with used but as a new person to this hobby, how do you know what is what in a second hand machine?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tag1260 View post
While on this subject, where do you recommend finding used detectors in this price range? I have no problem with used but as a new person to this hobby, how do you know what is what in a second hand machine?

Thanks
There is craigslist and ebay, but you always have some risk there no matter what you are buying. Most decent size cities are going to have a club, its worth a shot to go to a meeting, or check for local facebook groups. If you have any nearby dealers that would be a good place to start.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:51 AM

Not finding any groups and the closest thing to a dealer is a coin shop and Cabelas. Neither of which I would trust for honest info. Was hoping to find a source for used which has experienced people vs people like me who really don't know anything.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Treasure Classifieds will have more specialized listings than Craigslist or Offerup - more likely to be dealing with knowledgeable sellers, too. Downside is that the new listings can charitably be described as 'a trickle' - maybe 2-4 in a given week.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:07 PM

Was wanting a little bit more detector but found a Tesoro Compadre for a really good price. I can look for something better down the road if I stay with the hobby. Last MD that I ever had was an OLD Garrett Gold Hunter. The old green metal box. Actually still have it in the basement but haven't a clue how to set it up or if it even works.