Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Supporter

I never ground balance , but I do noise cancel with coil on the ground in a clean spot. On other machines my gb is around 55 to 74 so not extremely mineralized. I search in ferrous coin , combined then switch to high trash,combined to check target, if they both agree it is most often a desirable target.

Are these nails the larger square nails? Do you get the same tone when you turn 90 degrees and sweep it? I noticed your co number bouncing from 44 to 48 , usually for me I get maybe a variance of only one number on the co number for a good target.

I have dug a lot of trash and watching the target trace at least for me was erratic for a good target. I probably still make errors sometimes by not digging.

I would be interested to know your setup, 16 is not really very high so I wouldn't think that would be high enough to do it unless you are in a very high mineralized ground area.

If you are in a highly mineralized ground anything but ground coin could give a lot of falses. You might switch to ground coin and just try it.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:06 PM

That nail there was only about 1 1/2 inches long and more modern than a square nail.

My setup in that instance the other night was the 6" coil in combined, ferrous-coin, long audio, fast on, deep off, manual sensitivity (I did use auto for a good bit of the night though), and my iron bin is set at 23.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Supporter

Let me bury an older one that i have dug up about that size with corrosion on it and see if i can get mine to false, i really do not see anything wrong with your settings. I will make a short video as well no matter what the results.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Trashfinder View post
Let me bury an older one that i have dug up about that size with corrosion on it and see if i can get mine to false, i really do not see anything wrong with your settings. I will make a short video as well no matter what the results.
It would likely take years for your freshly buried nail to leach out in the ground
& cause the same Halo effect that makes most iron targets sound good.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Supporter

I do understand that, but just thought i might give it a shot. I just do not have the problems he is experiencing. The only time i have dug false iron signals is when i lowered my Fe line to about 32 line then i did. Still would like to see his results with ground coin instead of ferrous coin, if his ground has a high mineral then ferrous coin will give lots of false iron signals that sound and look good but are not.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Lightningjack View post
It would likely take years for your freshly buried nail to leach out in the ground
& cause the same Halo effect that makes most iron targets sound good.
I disagree all nails false freshly drop nails old nails and other iron . Take a nail and place it so it's pointed at 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock in front of you it well false twice high tone .

Now drop down below the nail starting 6 inches away from the nail and it well false once a beautiful high tone same as a coin now go 6 inches above the nail in front of you it will false a beautiful high tone same as a coin .

As far as a halo it is just the same as mineralization the halo never get's bigger every rain washes the halo under the nail or coin the leached metals from the nail or coin , so it never has a chance to get bigger around the object . Sure you will get that orange around the nail but it never has a chance to really grow . The falsing is from the nail itself when a nail completely rust away it well leave a concentrated mineral deposit that well false also but over time and more rain this well disappear .The only time you have a nail or other iron object has a chance of growing around a nail well be when it is in wet ground all the time with little rain . sube

Last edited by sube; 12-09-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:24 PM
Supporter

I saw your video with the nail falsing when you were testing the ctx.