Whites Spectra, Vision and DFX losing depth with Tone ID ??

@PhilB

Could you re-do your test with your buddy on that 8 or 12inch deep target and be methodical doing it.

Write yourself a scenario of how you will proceed, rehearse it in your mind or live.

And then, if at all possible, make a movie out of this experience so we can all see what's going on and further devellop our speculations or interrogations on this matter.

P.S. If you or your buddy don't have a video recorder, maybe find a friend who has one and would agree to film your experiment?

P.P.S. I understand that this represents a time investment, but you could gain access to FMDF Hall Of Fame or even YouTube fame in like: Hey go check PhilBs' video on the ToneID bug with the DFX,Vision :yes: :tumble:

I was going to do another test today but it rained . The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow so I plan on doing it then. Neither my friend of I have a video camera and I don't know where to get one on short notice. The coin is an 8in deep zinc penny we buried at least 5 yrs ago. If I get the same results I'm calling White's and see what they say about it. I'm hoping that after restoring the coin and jewelry program to make sure everything is at factory settings the 2nd attempt will show that I accidently changed an adjustment and didn't realize it. I'm pretty sure I didn't but I can't rule it out completely.

I would think an air test would net the same results. Test a coin with tone ID on and then off and see if the depth changes. I can give it a try when I get home, but maybe someone can do it before then.

2nd test on the 8in deep penny

I went back to Bill's today to test the penny with the Spectra. First I did a restore to the Coin and Jewelry program to make sure everything was back to factory specs. Then I ground balanced the Spectra and swept the coil over the penny. In single tone it picked the penny up just fine with only a little variation in the VDI numbers. Then I changed the program to use multi-tone ID. This time when I swept the coil over the penny it picked it up just fine with only slightly more variation in the VDI numbers. I could even raise the coil another inch or two and pick the penny up. Sorry for all the commotion folks. I guess the first test could only have been user error. This detector is more complicated than any I've used and I've used a lot of them over the years.:D Give me until fall and I might have a better handle on this machine. I did notice that one pair of headphones I use on my E-trac and F70 don't work worth a hoot on the Spectra. I grabbed them the other day and thought they were broken when I put them on the Spectra. There is nothing wrong with the headphones cause I tried them on the E-Trac after that. It was a set of walkman style headphones I like to use in warm weather. The impedence must not be right for the Spectra because it lowered the audio until you couldn't hear the threshold tone. I have at least a half dozen different headphones and that is the only set that didn't work fine with the Spectra. When I put my Koss Pros on the Spectra I had to lower the volume control on the headsets because it was so loud it hurt my ears. BTW when doing the tests I used the speaker in the Spectra.

Good to hear PhilB. If you get intimidated by the Spectra I'll be glad to take it off your hands :D We got no White's dealers around here.

Good to hear PhilB. If you get intimidated by the Spectra I'll be glad to take it off your hands :D We got no White's dealers around here.

I don't think I'll be getting rid of it. It's not nearly as hard as the TDI I had. It just has more settings to tweak. Sold the TDI because it didn't really have any advantage over my E-Trac in the ground here. I also realized that to become really proficient with the TDI would require more hours than I was willing to spend. It's also a pretty long drive to anyplace to hunt gold nuggets. I don't have a White's dealer close by either. At least none that know anything about their products. The closest one is a gun shop and the owner doesn't even detect as far as I know.lol

I went back to Bill's today to test the penny with the Spectra. First I did a restore to the Coin and Jewelry program to make sure everything was back to factory specs. Then I ground balanced the Spectra and swept the coil over the penny. In single tone it picked the penny up just fine with only a little variation in the VDI numbers. Then I changed the program to use multi-tone ID. This time when I swept the coil over the penny it picked it up just fine with only slightly more variation in the VDI numbers.

Sounds like you have it figured out and there shouldn't be any difference with single tone and tone id. Only thing would be with tone id on a target that was varying on the VDI numbers, the tone id would follow the VDI numbers.

rcsnake

Sounds like you have it figured out and there shouldn't be any difference with single tone and tone id. Only thing would be with tone id on a target that was varying on the VDI numbers, the tone id would follow the VDI numbers.

rcsnake

The tones did vary, I just forgot to mention it. I don't expect a coin at 8in to give a rock solid VDI or tone. At least none of the other detectors I've used in the last 10yrs did. It was a good "dig me" signal. When I hunt deeper coins I dig targets with varying VDI numbers and tones if the pinpoint signal is in the same spot and gives a nice tight signal.

So you have an E-Trac and a Vision....now which is deeper?

I don't have enough experience with the Spectra to give an informed answer. I doubt there is much difference between them with an operator experienced enough to utilize their full capabilities. The only thing I can tell you for sure is the E-Trac is easier for me to operate. That is probably because I've used Explorers for many years and the E-Trac and the Explorers are similar. I'm sure an experienced DFX or XLT user would pick up on the Spectra faster than I am. Sorry I can't be more help.

On my Spectra all you have to do is hit the ON button and start detecting.
Doesn't get any easier than that :)
Just because there is a million settings doesn't mean you have to play with them LOL.

I don't have enough experience with the Spectra to give an informed answer. I doubt there is much difference between them with an operator experienced enough to utilize their full capabilities. The only thing I can tell you for sure is the E-Trac is easier for me to operate. That is probably because I've used Explorers for many years and the E-Trac and the Explorers are similar. I'm sure an experienced DFX or XLT user would pick up on the Spectra faster than I am. Sorry I can't be more help.

On my Spectra all you have to do is hit the ON button and start detecting.
Doesn't get any easier than that :)
Just because there is a million settings doesn't mean you have to pay with them LOL.

I have a friend that hunts like you. He gets very frustrated because I like to hunt behind him and get the deeper coins he misses.:D If you are happy using factory presets that is great, this is a hobby and you should enjoy it. I'm happier when I get the best performance out of my detector I can. I've yet to see a detector that used its full capabilities with a factory pre-set program. I also like multi-tone ID which was the only thing I knowingly altered in the factory program before testing the penny. I learn the basics of a detector before I start tweaking any settings that affect performance.

I have a friend that hunts like you. He gets very frustrated because I like to hunt behind him and get the deeper coins he misses.

I wish you would hunt behind me. I'd really like to learn what I am missing.

But, back to the original quote. If I'm going to buy a $1600 machine, I'd hope that I can get more out of it than the factory presets.

Who said I hunt like that? LOL
I just said the detector can be simple too.

I have a friend that hunts like you. He gets very frustrated because I like to hunt behind him and get the deeper coins he misses.:D If you are happy using factory presets that is great, this is a hobby and you should enjoy it. I'm happier when I get the best performance out of my detector I can. I've yet to see a detector that used its full capabilities with a factory pre-set program. I also like multi-tone ID which was the only thing I knowingly altered in the factory program before testing the penny. I learn the basics of a detector before I start tweaking any settings that affect performance.

Back
Top Bottom