• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Updated! Local Montana hunt tonite... TOKENS, Indians, Wheaties

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
I headed out this Friday evening to try to find a local yard to detect. I got the OK from a very nice older gentleman at a ca 1905 house here in Hamilton MT. The yard looked original and not messed with, so I had hopes of some older stuff. The first target was the 12 1/2 cents trade token, an early one. I believe the R. C. C. stands for Ravalli County Creamery, which was located about 5 blocks away. This is the second example of that token I've dug in Hamilton, so I know it is a local merchant. The next target was a 1913 Wheat Penny, which I gave to a young girl from next door who liked coins. I did end up giving her a few more wheats, some copper memorials, and a couple of clad dimes.

This yard had some old stuff and I really enjoyed detecting it, as I found a couple of Indian Head cents, 1902 and 1906 in nice shape, 15 more wheat pennies back to 1917, what I think is a watch or clock winding key, and a very neat J. C. BROWN HAMILTON MONT. trade token! I finished the front yard in the dark, got the OK to detect the yard next door so hopefully it will be good, as that house is just as old as the one I did tonite. No silver coins, but a lot of good stuff that more than made up for the lack of shiny. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coins1.jpg
    coins1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 360
  • coins2.jpg
    coins2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 317
  • coins3.jpg
    coins3.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
Another amazing outing! Some of those tokens are very valuable. Nice.

Another amazing outing! Some of those tokens are very valuable. Nice.

thanks jwp! I think I've only found one or two tokens all year so far, so this was a real treat to find two in one evening!

Those tokens are better than any common silver, much rarer too, they have a history behind them. congrats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Thanks Mike! I do enjoy finding tokens, wish that it happened more often!

My man ! You ARE on the move . How many days a week are you able to hunt ? I try to get out at least 2 times a week. My longest streak was 11 days in a row. We had a mild stretch of winter weather and I was laid off at the time not to mention I had a great permission. Congrats on another fine outing, I'll take IHPS and Wheaties, ad a couple tokens all day long. Really sweet finds. HH Mark

Those IHPs are in terrific shape! The tokens are almost more valuable in that the historical value of those items helps validate our hobby with the "locals" and are typically conversation starters with new clients and permissions on their properties!:cool:

Awesome tokens man, great hunt!

thank you zeemang!

My man ! You ARE on the move . How many days a week are you able to hunt ? I try to get out at least 2 times a week. My longest streak was 11 days in a row. We had a mild stretch of winter weather and I was laid off at the time not to mention I had a great permission. Congrats on another fine outing, I'll take IHPS and Wheaties, ad a couple tokens all day long. Really sweet finds. HH Mark

Thanks Mark! I am "semi retired" still have to work some to pay the bills, but from the early spring thaw here till the first freeze in late November, I am able to get out and detect. I probably detect 3-4 times a week, with a couple of those being full day hunts, and a couple being local 1-2 yard hunts.

Those IHPs are in terrific shape! The tokens are almost more valuable in that the historical value of those items helps validate our hobby with the "locals" and are typically conversation starters with new clients and permissions on their properties!:cool:

Thanks Buellride! The coins in this yard were treated very well by the soil, not all eaten or corroded up. I am always happy to find tokens for just what you mentioned, the historical value, rarity, and local interest.

Indians and Tokens are just about as good as Silver in my book David.. Those you dug look great, Congrats! Trapper

Thanks Trapper! And congrats on 146 Silvers so far this year for you!

Excellent hunt! The half bit token is very nice. I wonder if its territorial? I found a half bit token a few years back from the Arcade bar, and cant find it in the token catalog. I also wonder if thats territorial?

Excellent hunt! The half bit token is very nice. I wonder if its territorial? I found a half bit token a few years back from the Arcade bar, and cant find it in the token catalog. I also wonder if thats territorial?

Thanks TommyJay! Unfortunately, the town I live in wasn't platted till late 1890, as a sawmill town to furnish lumber for the "Copper King" Marcus Daly. Montana became a state in November of 1889, so no tokens from this town are Territorial, wish there were some though!

Went out this evening, Monday, to detect that neighbor's yard. No silvers, but I did get a 1907 Indian Head Cent, along with 1919-D, 1919-S, 1929-S, 1937-D, and 1956-D wheat pennies.

Attachments

• injun.jpg
    injun.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 191
Wholey smokes those tokens, those IHP's! And a winder? Sound like a dream hunt to me! [emoji3060][emoji106] Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom