Gold ring question for Minelab users

kidlester

Elite Member
Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!
I have been coin hunting with my CTX and have probably 150hrs since March.
Although I have become fairly proficient at coins, I have no experience with gold rings. I hunt some local parks that are popular.
Generally speaking, what FE-CO numbers would you dig for the best chance at a gold ring? I have Andy's book but some field experience from you guys will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

I know on my etrac most gold rings I have and have found hit mostly 12 - 9,10,11,12,13,14,15 Basically just above and below a nickel. But most all online charts show 98% of gold and silver rings are directly on the 12 line. As with any machine if you're looking for gold rings you'll have a pouch full of foil, slaw and tabs.

To the op,

Remember as far as chart goes I posted link to,,,,key only on conductive numbers.

Remember CTX unlike etrac,,,depending on how you are set up ferrous number may/can vary.

For instance ground coin vs ferrous coin.

Cheers.

If you dig tab , foil, and nickel signals long enough I'm sure one will show up. Most hunters don't have that kind of patience though lol HH!

Although I don't hunt water, I've been digging foil, tabs and nickels for years and have yet to find real gold with my Minelabs - :no:

Although I don't hunt water, I've been digging foil, tabs and nickels for years and have yet to find real gold with my Minelabs - :no:

Gold rings come in beautifully with a minelab. It is the small stuff they will not pick up so well and machines do better, Like partial hoops, studs and what not. Most machines do not hear chains or struggle as well.. The key is to find the gold, One must be over the top of gold to find the gold.. Remember that:grin:

Last edited:
Gold rings come in beautifully with a minelab. It is the small stuff they will not pick up so well and machines do better, Like partial hoops, studs and what not. Most machines do not hear chains or struggle as well.. The key is to find the gold, One must be over the top of gold to find the gold.. Remember that:grin:
I never said Minelab won't find gold. It's just that my Minelab hasn't found any yet.:roll:

The best advice I can offer is to look for the more "solid" low conductive hits. First, look for targets that are solidly on or very near the FE-12 line. Rings typically give you a solid CO response, foil and slaw will generally have a very bouncy CO numbers because of their irregular shapes. The big liars are the pop tabs because they fall right on the 12 line with solid CO numbers too.

As for the CO responses, gold rings will be everywhere from 01 up to 39/40. Most gold rings are womens/girls and therefor small and thin which will give the lowest numbers. A co-worker was talking with me recently while I was detecting across from his house. He showed me a 14K crucifix pendent he found in the parking lot nearby (about 1/3" by 1/4"). I scanned it to see what its response numbers were. It was a SOLID 12-01. He said, there you go, now you know what to dig. I laughed and said I'll never dig one of those from the dirt. Theres 10,000 pieces of junk for every gold item at that number!

I never said Minelab won't find gold. It's just that my Minelab hasn't found any yet.:roll:
Just keep swinging.... ^^ above post is right, gotta be over it to find it.

Ironic stuff..... I tested a 1mm thin chain (no clasp) with my Sea Hunter (PI) , Fisher CZ-7aPro, Explorer XS, and Exp II. The Sea Hunter and Exp II wouldn't give the slightest beep. The XS would signal up to 4" away. The old CZ would signal up to 6" away.

Just keep swinging.... ^^ above post is right, gotta be over it to find it.

Ironic stuff..... I tested a 1mm thin chain (no clasp) with my Sea Hunter (PI) , Fisher CZ-7aPro, Explorer XS, and Exp II. The Sea Hunter and Exp II wouldn't give the slightest beep. The XS would signal up to 4" away. The old CZ would signal up to 6" away.

Wow it's interesting that the XS would pick it up but the newer explorer 2 wouldn't, thanks for sharing! This is good news, as I've been using the XS this entire season almost.

Hello and Happy Thanksgiving!
I have been coin hunting with my CTX and have probably 150hrs since March.
Although I have become fairly proficient at coins, I have no experience with gold rings. I hunt some local parks that are popular.
Generally speaking, what FE-CO numbers would you dig for the best chance at a gold ring? I have Andy's book but some field experience from you guys will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

I have dug thousands of targets from co 9 all the way up I dig it all. I have dug this much trash
picture.php

still no gold!

Well I've dug over 60 pieces of gold on the ctx and I'll tell you where gold hits...from 12-01 to 12-46 lol!!!!! You never know man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom