Gold prospecting

drewwski

A buddy of mine just purchased 50 acres of mining/prospecting rights in Idaho. He has offered(actually asked me) to come work the claim this summer with him and his father. I am retiring from the USAF in a few months so it might be a nice break and a good chance to enjoy the outdoors.

I like the outdoors, camping, fishing and such. A days hardwork doesn't bother me but I don't have much experience in the gold mining business :) . He has purchased quite a bit of equipment, so it is not going to be a couple guys in the river with a pan. Just wondering who has experience with this sort of thing, done it before, good things, bad? Not really in it for the financial aspect by the way. The area was mined quite a bit in the late 1800's, so i think metal detecting the area will be fun as well.

I have panned a few times, will limited success.

its A LOT of WORK for not that much return.

Remember Dry Feet are Happy Feet.
Keep an open mind about the experience

reality / Expectations = happiness

expect 10, and reality get 1 1/10 = 10 %
expect 1 and reality get 2 2/1 =200 %

Obviously the equation doesn't work with 0 as expectation/reality.

So this equation I have been working on for a while, Don't expect to be a millionaire in this venture, and you will do ok. expect very little, and if you find more then a little you are going to be EXCITED.

Is there an old mine on the property?? If so, you gotta be careful of the toxic chemicals they used.....

Dusty

Whereabouts Drewwski? I'm assuming somewhere south.

Used to love prospecting in my younger days, then life happened. The last of my eight kids is a senior this year so I can start re-thinking my priorities. I still own a four inch dredge but haven't even seen it for probably 20+ years.

It's a lot of fun, a lot of work and as long as you aren't doing it to get rich it really is a good time. Finding anything worth while is just a bonus.

Do it and you'll come home fitter, but probably not richer. If you want to know what you are getting yourself in for, watch Goldfever and other similar types of shows, not to mention there are tons of U Tube videos out there on the same subject. Most find gold, but not in paying quantities. I've started panning for glacial gold and haven't found anything yet, but that isn't stopping my brother and me from going to Maine next year to pan and sluice up there. It's the experience that counts, not what you come home with.

Well, there is a LOT of possibilities here. The location and it's resources plays a big part. What equipment have they bought? Do they have any experience in doing this? Do you have any prospecting experience?

If you want to talk about it offline, shoot me a PM.

if you decide to pass on the offer and they still need to fill your slot ,, pm me asap and ill pack my bag and head on out , im needing to get away from this rotten city life before it kills me anyway ,,,,,

A buddy of mine just purchased 50 acres of mining/prospecting rights in Idaho. He has offered(actually asked me) to come work the claim this summer with him and his father. I am retiring from the USAF in a few months so it might be a nice break and a good chance to enjoy the outdoors.

I like the outdoors, camping, fishing and such. A days hardwork doesn't bother me but I don't have much experience in the gold mining business :) . He has purchased quite a bit of equipment, so it is not going to be a couple guys in the river with a pan. Just wondering who has experience with this sort of thing, done it before, good things, bad? Not really in it for the financial aspect by the way. The area was mined quite a bit in the late 1800's, so i think metal detecting the area will be fun as well.

First not all gold bearing sites have MDer size gold. Some areas only have fine gold.

Research the type & size of the gold found in the area.

Test pan areas on your claims to see if you get any pickers in the pan or if its only small fine gold. Buy a VLF/PI detector for gold if you get pickers (use the found gold pickers to test the detector your going to buy), but save your money if its just fine gold. (also having been mined in the past it will have tons of trash, expect to dig alot of it & try not to get discuraged).

Good Luck & Good Hunting.........wonderer

Sure sounds intriguing, good luck with whatever you do! I agree, if you go in to it expecting nothing but some good outdoors activity and hard work then everything is upside.

Back
Top Bottom