Pinpointing with a double D coil ( AT pro ) video

ohiochris

Elite Member
It amazes me how complicated people can make this , most of the videos Ive seen of people demonstrating pinpointing techniques really dont simplify things at all. Even the Garrett instructional videos blow it. For most targets there is no need for an X pattern , or turning and getting a different angle , just short passes side to side while bringing the coil back toward you and when the tone stops your target is somewhere in a baseball sized circle right at the tip of the coil. This takes almost no time at all. The target in the video is a dime buried 3 to 4 inches below the plastic disk. Its not the best video , I just used my phone to make it , but should demonstrate the process pretty well. This is with the stock coil , the 5x8 is even easier to do this with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeGMeRTLar8

Good vid , we use air hockey disc as markers when we're Huntin together , and take turns digging , one keeps the MD swinging while the other is digging . I'll lay down markers even if I'm alone sometimes ,that way I can lay the MD aside and dig a couple . Easy enough .
HH

Good vid , we use air hockey disc as markers when we're Huntin together , and take turns digging , one keeps the MD swinging while the other is digging . I'll lay down markers even if I'm alone sometimes ,that way I can lay the MD aside and dig a couple . Easy enough .
HH

Not a bad idea I suppose , if it helps. I just used the plastic disk as a marker so people could see where the dime is. When pinpointing like this I just imagine a baseball sized circle at the tip , with the front of the coil covering about 1/3 of the circle with 2/3 of the circle past the tip of the coil. I dig them as I find them so I dont have to mark them for later. I actually pinpointed the target in the video a few times , normally I just wiggle the coil back toward me once and its spot on.

HH

Golf tees work well too if you're not too deep in the weeds.

Pinpoint with front of coil and then with back of coil to determine size of target. Those VID 80's flattened coke cans will show up big.

if your not smart enough to operate a AT Pro, maybe you should consider another past time.

Being grandfathered in on a Bounty Hunter metal detector I find it very hard to understand how folks can not pin point with the AT Pro.

I mean you have a Pin Point button. Its real simple, push the button. As it is a proportional audio sound, just look when it sounds off at its loudest. Or just wiggle the coil till you find it. Now you can use the toe method but really, its not that difficult.

The stock coil does require a larger hole if your worried about scratching a coin. But you wont see that on any advertisements. Nor will you see a pin pointer is also required if your too lazy to learn to use a probe. As a matter of fact, you wont see there may be hundreds of dollars more equipment needed in the digger package if you want to be competitive lol.

Can someone please post a video on how hard it is to pin point with the AT Pro. I have to see what obstacles are being addressed here. I have a 15" inch coil and can still pin point with no problem. The directions have the process simplified also. I have to agree, there is plenty of poorly made videos on the internet.

If anyone is still having trouble pin pointing I am available for classes at the low price of $100.00 dollars a hour, per person. Plus airfare, hotel, and car rental. Venue is your option. I like wine and cheese if you want to keep me happy. Happy Hunting.

Pinpoint with front of coil and then with back of coil to determine size of target. Those VID 80's flattened coke cans will show up big.

Usually your side to side swing will tell you the size of your target , if it dont then raise the coil and that will. No need to do front and back. And once you get used to coin sized targets , anything else stands out as odd.

Being grandfathered in on a Bounty Hunter metal detector I find it very hard to understand how folks can not pin point with the AT Pro.

I mean you have a Pin Point button. Its real simple, push the button. As it is a proportional audio sound, just look when it sounds off at its loudest. Or just wiggle the coil till you find it. Now you can use the toe method but really, its not that difficult.

The stock coil does require a larger hole if your worried about scratching a coin. But you wont see that on any advertisements. Nor will you see a pin pointer is also required if your too lazy to learn to use a probe. As a matter of fact, you wont see there may be hundreds of dollars more equipment needed in the digger package if you want to be competitive lol.

Can someone please post a video on how hard it is to pin point with the AT Pro. I have to see what obstacles are being addressed here. I have a 15" inch coil and can still pin point with no problem. The directions have the process simplified also. I have to agree, there is plenty of poorly made videos on the internet.

If anyone is still having trouble pin pointing I am available for classes at the low price of $100.00 dollars a hour, per person. Plus airfare, hotel, and car rental. Venue is your option. I like wine and cheese if you want to keep me happy. Happy Hunting.

I just posted a video of how hard it is to pinpoint with the AT pro. Its not hard at all. The larger the coil the more difficult but still , as long as doing the basics are followed linear...not much changes. All the same.

I always do like a "hop/circle" technique, is the best way I can describe it. :lol: Push the pinpoint button, hop/circle......wherever it's loudest and has the strongest signal then it's under the square in the center of the coil. Does it ever screw you up when you pull the coil back and hit another target when you do so? I'm gonna try the tip thing next time I go out to see if it'll save me some time.

I agree!...Why do people make Pin Pointing a target more time consuming and complicated than necessary? Especially with the Proportional audio feature? I NEVER use my PP button, on my Pro or my F70...its all audio...both have the large DD's as terminal tackle...

I hit a ping, then 'hop coil' vertical over the target, and its always right in a golfball or tennis ball sized area...the Proportional audio tells you how deep it is, and what it most likely is from the strength of the signal and the targets profile size...

So there you are, merrily swinging along, hit a ping, in a millisecond, your brain processes and figures it all out! You say to yourself, "thats a Q at 3 inches"...Hop coil and retrieve! Tap tap tap! Stoop N stab! Dig if you have to... Ping to pouch in less than 15seconds! No need to hit the PP button or use a hand held at all...

This is a Big Planet, A guy has to maximize time in field/finds in pouch...so to compress Time, and increase finds a guy has to get really fast at a retrieval method...just my 2c...diddle around for 5 mins and dig up a 12" radius for a shallow penny?...inefficient! If a guy aint pulling 40+ good targets/hr, you are doing it all wrong! Time and Gold wait for nobody!...:laughing:
Mud

I always do like a "hop/circle" technique, is the best way I can describe it. :lol: Push the pinpoint button, hop/circle......wherever it's loudest and has the strongest signal then it's under the square in the center of the coil. Does it ever screw you up when you pull the coil back and hit another target when you do so? I'm gonna try the tip thing next time I go out to see if it'll save me some time.

Where the signal is loudest and clearest is the pinpointed area , it is that signal you listen to as you bring the coil back. From time to time you start picking up another target as you bring the coil back or even start picking something up to the side and you can start getting a mixture of tones but normally you can tell whats going on and still get an accurate pinpoint when the first tone disappears. 99% of the time its accurate and dead on , though occasionally multiple targets can throw it off. Imagine a softball size circle at the tip of the coil , showing the target location. With practice you can start making that circle smaller. Its essentially " feeling " or touching the target with the wedge shaped detection signal under the coil as you bring it back to you. It does save a lot of time. Most of the time as soon as I hear the good high tone I take a couple seconds to wiggle the coil back , and done :yes: Time to dig

Back
Top Bottom