XP DEUS - Settings Question

AZWIP

Elite Member
Howdy folks, I finally bit the bullet, and my new DEUS should be here this Friday!! Yup, am psyched! Of course been reading as much as I can until it arrives... but am curious... of the settings I love with my F19, again, keeping in mind, I am mostly a gold jewelry hunter, parks, sports fields and the such... I prefer my F19 at:

Iron Vol : Off (so vol = 10)

0 Disc

Sense : 99

V Break : 45

0 Notch

What all this means is that up to 40 (that's the Iron range) I will get no sound for iron... then between 40 and 45 I will get a GRUNT sound (due to Vbreak at 45) ... and anything over 45 will come in at a higher tone... this has worked well for me in Gold Jewelry hunting so far...

I know the XP has Tons more settings... what would be similar in the XP for settings?

Is there a quick simple way to set up the XP to be close to the same, or heck, even.... dare I say ---> Better?

I bought the XP with the Remote and the 11 inch coil and just the wired headphones as I am not really a headphone kind of hunter.

Are one of the preset programs close to what I am looking for? Perhaps the FAST, Basic 1?

I know I will want the 17 kHz... more than that, I dunno yet, lol... still reading about silencer, reactivity etc etc... fun stuff.... gonna be different than what I am used to I guess. Lol

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!

Ron

A disc setting of 6 to 7 will do in the sports field.

18khz

Set your notch to knock out 8-30.

Now if you are after gold only,, you can also notch 75-99.

If you want to to dig gold, silver, and clad, copper-- just notch 8-30.

Also run reactivity 2 silencer 0.

These settings will get you started.

Set your tones up to your liking.

Most copper and silver coins as well as clad-- excluding nickels will come in above 80 on the meter.

Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the info, will give those a shot once my machine gets in... anticipation... lol.

Also, I can't really tell via the online manual... but, when I turn it on, and say I use Basic 1.... I assume I will need to Ground Balance the thing next, true?

So, am assuming I would select the PUMP to pump and balance.... or can I or should I, just Select TRACK (I think that's what its called) and will it do it automatically? Or, do I select PUMP, then TRACK, lol.... again, not clear from what I read.

Thanks again!

Ron

Great! Thanks for the info, will give those a shot once my machine gets in... anticipation... lol.

Also, I can't really tell via the online manual... but, when I turn it on, and say I use Basic 1.... I assume I will need to Ground Balance the thing next, true?

So, am assuming I would select the PUMP to pump and balance.... or can I or should I, just Select TRACK (I think that's what its called) and will it do it automatically? Or, do I select PUMP, then TRACK, lol.... again, not clear from what I read.

Thanks again!

Ron

You can select tracking,, detector will take a few sweeps to track the ground,,, but if you try such a thing on ground loaded with iron/ nails-- a no no

I personally would suggest you select tracking, once the detector tracks to the ground phase-- the 2 numbers in the upper and lower Windows agreeing within a point or 2,, then hit you GB button select manual,, this will lock the detector-- then hunt away,, and periodically monitor the numbers in the 2 Windows,, it is okay for the upper number to go lower than the bottom at times; especially when you are in heavy iron-- keep swinging without changing,,,but if the bottom number goes substantially lower than the top-- reground balance.

Thanks

Thanks again for the info... I appreciate it. Been reading all I can , as well as the manual... wow! Lots more here than any machine I have owned or used... fun stuff. Lol

Appears, I read the manual correctly... I can do a GB at the touch of a button, the right hand side button... so, I could click there, select PUMP (or Track) and get it done and continue to hunt.

Need to play around with the Silencer and Reactivity... as well as the "Notch Ground"... have re-read that a few times.... still not sure why it exists... says it complements the GB...? Lol

Lots to learn - that's half the fun I reckon.

Thanks again for the advice etc, I really appreciate it. From all I can read and research, seems to be quite the unit... either way, gonna be different than what I am used to... again, my favs are/have been B2 MicroMAX and the F19... Vaquero as well... although I may sell the Vaq if the XP is similar or better than it in the depth/sensitivity dept.

Ron

It will be interesting to hear your comments/finds with your new XP. I'm interested because I have been trying to decide on this machine myself. I finally made the plunge & texted a dealer that I have been talking to. Will be swapping my V3i in tomorrow on a new XP. The only issue that really bothered me was coil choice...do I go with the 9" or the 11" coil. Told him I would go with the 9" coil. I mostly hunt parks & house lots. Been doing more house lots lately. Nice info from tnsharpshooter.

Howdy

My unit came in today...yay! So spent a little time with it this evening.....in the time I spent tonight.... I like it! But of course more time needed....but so far ....I'm impressed. Will give more details after the weekend...after more time.
I did opt for the 11 inch coil and the remote.

Did manage a silver ring this evening....hit hard was at about 5 inches....not a great test....but good kick off with the unit lol....especially since I only had a limited amount of time today.

I modified basic 1.....to use 17 kHz...with disc at 15...used pitch I think.....I'll have to check later....am on the road right now.

All in all....first....limited impression....I'm happy.

More later

Ron

Thanks!

Thanks TNSS, I appreciate it.

Ok, another quick update.... took her out again this a.m. for a but, back to a hunted out park of mine lol, and yeah, got lucky (and I hate saying this, sigh, because some may say, "Yeah, suuuure", but yeah, sure.... ) and came back with a butt ugly 10k butterfly ring, lol... ok, just luck, 4 or 5 hunts with this machine and got 2 rings out of the deal, one silver and one thin gold... I know pure luck etc.... or maybe I'm hunting harder because the machine is new.... I dunno... luck aside, fun as all get out... here are a few more impressions just being out with about 5 hunts under my belt...

She had been chatty - using Preset Progs as well as one custom one... and I began to think, that's just the way it was gonna be, and I was ok with it as when it hit coin, Tab or ring, lol.... it indeed was obvious, cool.

BUT.... here is what this DEUS rooky learned.... wrong or right, its my opinion at this point, lol..... seems I would select a preset PROG or mine... and then I would use GB w PUMP.... pump that bad boy - get my 83 or so... and hunt, with a chatty machine.... soooo, last hunt or two.... I left set the GB again, it was chatty.... I then set it back to the default of 90 and Bingo!!!! Thing ran nice and quiet!!!! Awesome!!!! Live and learn... so, for me, my soil, for now.... I'll leave it at the setting of 90 lol.

The ID so far, is nice, not quite as Bull Dog solid as the F19, but solid enough, I like it.

Seems to be a deep sensitive machine and I can "size" an object pretty well.... so far.... please keep in mind, still a rookie and am mostly in Basic 1, and recently GM and DEUS FAST.... gotta say, perhaps for my type of hunting, jewelry hunter mostly.... the GM and FAST are pretty darn good and they are giving me the thin foil... which is what "I" like as it helps me think I won't miss much lol... again, lots to learn, but am really liking this machine now that I was able to get it to run quiet until it needed sound.

Owners manual, albeit good, I could NOT find out the XY stuff, had to use ya'lls info for that feature.... but have NOT played with that yet... this machine could very easily become my favorite and I may just have to part with my VAQ, lol, of course keeping my other Tesoros, lol and the F19 still.... but this thing seems much deeper than my F19 and the F19 ( for me) has been deep enough... again, keep in mind I did get the 11 inch coil....I find that swinging this thing even with the 11 is a breeze, met up with another hunter last night and he had an MXT, felt soooooooo much heavier.... but, it was balanced well when I tried swinging it... but to just hold each machine in hand, wow, what a difference.

So far, probably 8 to 10 hours on the machine and last I recall, the charge still looked fine... I'll double check tonight if I get back out.

Being mostly a night hunter, the back light is nice... now, I do prefer the orange/red glow from the F19 over the grey/white of the DEUS.... will be a users preference type of thing... but find the DEUS is a bit bright and distracting for me.... but would rather have it than not.... so just a nit. Also I do like that I can set the light timer.... so I don't have to keep the light on... BUT.... a nice to have would be.... if I hit target that the light would come on for the timeout length of time... right now... I let the light go out... and when I get a decent hit... for the fun of it I want to see what the machine thinks it see's so I have press a button and the press the <Return> button again .... just a small annoyance for a nice machine. Again, can keep light on.... but it distracts me a bit.... or set the timer, get a hit, click the PLUS (as an example) that lights of the screen and then take my reading press the ENTER button to get back the base window...

Anyhow, sorry for the book again, lol... and many thanks to the folks helping me learn whether its via email/PMs or replying here and other threads.... thanks folks!!!

Will post other thoughts and updates as they become worth posting (IMO anyway, lol)
Ron

Extremely good feedback..

Charge your detector,,, all 3 components,,,don't let it sit below 70% charge-- will shorten battery life..

Best to charge up after any significant hunt say 3 hours plus. Don't depend too much on the charge indicators for each unit-- even though they appear to work pretty well.

As far as your GB and being chatty--- Deus is a chatty machine,, but one will with time get used to it,,,,and just because it is chatty-- make no mistake it will still find the goods.

With more experience,,, I would,recommend you running a good ground balance based on ground phase numbers--- will yield somewhat more depth.

Congrats on the rings

You seem to be adapting rather well with unit,,,look,forward to more feedback and hunt experiences.

Cheers

Need any help-- I'll do my best.

Tnsharpshooter, why do you say excluding nickels? Every nickel I have dug has ran up into the mid 80s. Is there a way to make deep nickels ID in the 50 consistently if they are alone in the hole? Headstamp are the same way for me, mid 80s.

Thanks,
G2M

Tnsharpshooter, why do you say excluding nickels? Every nickel I have dug has ran up into the mid 80s. Is there a way to make deep nickels ID in the 50 consistently if they are alone in the hole? Headstamp are the same way for me, mid 80s.

Thanks,
G2M

Okay, good question..

I mention nickels because they are a low conductor vs say the dimes, pennies, quarters, etc.

Now I don't know your soil mineralization levels-- this will affect the process

Try this experiment,, air test nickel sweeping, and continue to grow the air test distance,,,while listening to the tone and watching the meter.

You should see the nickel air test at good distances with good ID-- 12 kHz I think 56 on the meter.
Set your settings to disc 6 , reactivity 2, silencer -1,,3 tones,, set your tone break,,first one will be disc setting, next one at 70
Next bury the Nickel at 4",, GB you detector and sweep nickel in 12khz

Next bury at 6" with good gb sweep and again watch meter and listen to tone

Next bury at 8",, and repeat

Next very at 9",, and repeat.
On the 4 and 6" deep nickel you should have got 56 in the window with a mid tone
You should once you get down to a certain depth with nickel,, high tone should sound and meter reading in the 90s

Now,,it is possible for the nickel to read high,, between 56 and say 95,, like 80 something,, with high tone since your tone break is set at 70 plus for high tone.
Deus will be caught in what I call the transition zone--- can happen, but based on percentages I rate low.,,I have seen it though,,so no absolutes.
You should also notice how the ground with the nickel being buried at the different depths--- Deus reacts differently vs similar air test distances

Soil minerals cause this,,and the milder the dirt the closer to air test results,, and with higher mineral the opposite

Now you'll notice I stated to set reactivity to level 2,,, if you repeat the in ground test above with reactivity set to level 1 -- you should see better ID at deeper depths,,hence nickel won't go to the high tone as fast.

Extremely good feedback..

Charge your detector,,, all 3 components,,,don't let it sit below 70% charge-- will shorten battery life..

Best to charge up after any significant hunt say 3 hours plus. Don't depend too much on the charge indicators for each unit-- even though they appear to work pretty well.

As far as your GB and being chatty--- Deus is a chatty machine,, but one will with time get used to it,,,,and just because it is chatty-- make no mistake it will still find the goods.

With more experience,,, I would,recommend you running a good ground balance based on ground phase numbers--- will yield somewhat more depth.

Congrats on the rings

You seem to be adapting rather well with unit,,,look,forward to more feedback and hunt experiences.

Cheers

Need any help-- I'll do my best.

Thanks again for your time and help I appreciate it and will spend more time with the GB for sure. I really appreciate ya'lls help, special thanks to you and Mountain Mike for the detailed replies and assistance. I'll pay it forward to others as I continue to learn and as I can. Yeah, I really like this machine.

Will ensure I charge it before the 30% ... probably tonight again, good idea!

Thanks!

I use the deus preset programs and I consider it a 5 cent machine as I can id a nickel 99% of the time. The nickel stays below 65 and has a nice concise sound to it. I use a different tone at that level. I also switch programs frequently when in the field to adjust to changing conditions or to double check. Enjoy the deus, it is an awesome md.

Nice

Howdy again... ok, another question, lol...

Soooo.... if I have a program I saved, lets call it 11-Me... and while using that program... I go into TONES, Expert and I make changes to the tone ranges... something like: 1 thru 30 = Sound A, 31 thru 80 = Sound B and 81 thru 99 = Sound X .....

And I save my 11-Me again....

Have I saved these Tone Assignments JUST for 11-Me, or do these new assignments for 3 tones now take effect for all programs??

Not sure how that works, lol...

Thanks as always.

Ron F.

P.S. I could play around with it when I am back to my machine.... BUT.... have this fear if they impact ALL programs... I may not be able to get it back to what the factory set... although I'm sure there is a factory reset if that were to happen.... just have not read it in the manual yet.

Back
Top Bottom