GPX 5000 test drive

kreagerm

Elite Member
Been playing with the GPX today, this is my first PI machine and let me tell you I pretty much watched and read everything including the manual, and with that all in my head I hit my yard and my test garden.

The factory normal setting had no problem hitting 8" coins loud and clear, where the CTX would hit every now and then. Understanding what a good signal sounds like I ventured into my iron infested yard. First signal with iron disc off got the double beep, then I turned the ID up to 10 and it nulled out for a couple seconds when scanning over the target, so I was confident it was iron, and it was a 7" long landscaping nail. Next target a great sound, much like the coin garden, dug up a 6" 22 lead bullet. Now I'm getting used to these sounds. I find that when I hit what I believe is iron I just change the ID to confirm its iron. The double beep is pretty easy to tell in relation to what a good target sounds like.

All in all, I have to say I'm very pleased at how user friendly this thing is. It sure looks intimidating but it's really not. I owe a huge thanks to all the great threads on this forum and to all the you tubers for posting their videos!!!!

You bought what I think is a no nonsense performing PI detector.

Should do you for a long time with punching for the relics, etc.

Did you get a 5x10 commander coil???

I really like mine,,,got the tip from a gent who is a believer with it.

I like my 4500 model,,,just wish it was fall instead of late spring.

I'll have to look into eventually getting a few coils, but it just came with the standard 11" coils. I'm really looking forward to using it in some local fields near some old homesteads.

Hi tnss - sorry to hi-jack the thread but could you please tell me if there is any interference between the GPX5000 & the Nokta Pointer - Many thanks ;)

Hi tnss - sorry to hi-jack the thread but could you please tell me if there is any interference between the GPX5000 & the Nokta Pointer - Many thanks ;)

Well a couple things,,first I don't have a GPX 5000 -- do have a 4500 model
and second I don't have a Nokta pin pointer-- do have a Garrett pro pointer,,White's TRX, and a Makro.

and second I don't have a Nokta pin pointer-- do have a Garrett pro pointer,,White's TRX, and a Makro.

I didn't notice a problem with the Pro Pointer. But I'll have to try a friends Land and Sea (pulse pointer) this weekend.

I had some more time out with the GPX today. All iron signals, I could tell pretty easily. The good targets are very distinct. Ended up finding a penny and an aluminum grommet, and with both I was sure it was going to be something other then Iron. I couldn't run coin/relic in my soil, but Normal is probably all I need for now with my soil.

FYI my house was built in 2004 so not much in the way of coins.

I had some more time out with the GPX today. All iron signals, I could tell pretty easily. The good targets are very distinct. Ended up finding a penny and an aluminum grommet, and with both I was sure it was going to be something other then Iron. I couldn't run coin/relic in my soil, but Normal is probably all I need for now with my soil.

FYI my house was built in 2004 so not much in the way of coins.

You are doing what I should be doing,,,just get out and listen and learn this 4500's language.

Too many detectors I reckon to get the needed focus..

Keep posting what you are seeing and hearing by all means--- I'll take any tips I can get...Granted I don't have 5000 model,,but it is close.

You are doing what I should be doing,,,just get out and listen and learn this 4500's language.

Keep posting what you are seeing and hearing by all means--- I'll take any tips I can get...Granted I don't have 5000 model,,but it is close.

I just got back from working tandem with the CTX to verify what I was hearing and sure enough what the GPX was telling me it's Iron the CTX confirmed it. Then I would dig it to verify. I did notice when I would get a null with a high bell "ding" it was a piece of aluminum. As earlier tests shown coins and lead have both had that classic rise in threshold sound, no nulling no dinging. I'm hitting a 1730 house on Sunday and I'll be giving the GPX a go and see what I can come up with. If it gets to the point there are to many bad targets around that I can't figure out, I'll switch over to the CTX at that point.

Congrats on new machine!

Thank You!!!

I know the feeling, the F75 just sits there, poor thing lol

OK - thank you

Let me have another go ;)

Could you please let me know if there is interference between your Makro Pointer & your 4500 if used together?

That might give me an indication to my initial answer although not perfect

thanks again

Was able to hit a colonial field yesterday with the GPX and pretty much all I found were 22 bullets and a bunch of farming iron pieces. Now I was impressed with the depth, 22 sized bullets at a foot deep. I know for sure the CTX would not have seen them that deep. This GPX is very impressive to say the least. I'm still learning the sounds, but let me tell you I hit a piece of iron bar at over 12 inches deep and it sounded like it was about an inch down, this machine is crazy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom