My first silver EVER and it's a BIG ONE!

So today I decided to start cleaning this by electrolysis. I sort of McGyvered it with 4 AA batteries in parallel and tin foil as leads to the anode and cathode. As the toning diminished, what appears to be a small die crack started to appear above the lettering over George VI. I found a picture of a very similar, but more pronounced die crack on a '43 half, and in the same location. I'm fairly certain it is a die crack and not a scratch, as the metal is bright along the line making it more defined. If it was a scratch, it would probably still have toning, like all the other low relief areas. Also it would likely not be so fine. I don't think it will add much or anything to the value, as it is well circulated and cleaned by a hack electrolysis job, but it is still interesting.

First picture is of my coin, second is of a similar one I found by google search. Unfortunately I don't have a better camera, so this is the best I can show.

McGyver Electrolisis - i would like to see a photo of that setup if you have one. I think it turned out very well, and it wasn't "over powered" :shock::lol:

Back
Top Bottom