What to do? Advice

Ohh okay. I have no advice for you then, you're a grown man, if you want to go back do it.. Should've made it perfectly clear you aren't down for that after his first creepy advance soo you wouldn't even worry about it happening again in the future and just cut him down at the knees then.. It's just the way he gets down lol. Even though it sounds like he was trying to buffalo Bob your ass.. "it puts the lotion on its skin"

Originally Posted by Cylon_Detector View Post
As a newbie to the hobby, getting denied like that is definitely discouraging. I don't have the confidence to walk up and door-knock yet, and I'm worried about leaving people's yards in a bad state, not that I'm not careful, just overly cautious about this.

I contacted the local fairgrounds and asked if I could detect there, and they said they have MDers there all the time and said they let residents of a nearby town have exclusive access to the grounds because they rent them out when they detect, so because I'm not a resident of that specific town, I can't detect there. Also dumbfounding and discouraging.

I also found a local person who owns tons of acres with a former resort/rooming house on it that goes back to the victorian era, including 2 out buildings, a huge meadow, lakefront property, an old bootlegging still, a foundation that used to be a saloon, and a barn with "1914" written in the cement steps. Incredible place and no one has ever detected there. I found a Merc the one and only time I hit it. I never went back because the owner is a pervert and was offering to give me massages (NO THANK YOU!) That is not what I am looking for when I detect! Has that ever happened to anyone before?

I am tempted to go back there, despite the pervertness, and detect because it's an MDer's disneyland, but I'd have to fend off this weirdo's advances and that breaks my concentration for sure.

Is it worth going back to? I did find a merc in under 2 hours there.

A frisbee is a very important tool in a metal detectorist's arsenal. Usually used as a reference aid ,it ,on occasion, actually is used physically to acquire a site and retain a site. I understand that you may not know that as you stated that you are a newbie. I hope you haven't been spending time over on Tnet as they don't seem to go as deep into these areas and people are constantly losing sites. Not that you seem to be doing too good yet.

Since you mentioned that you are a newbie I will touch briefly on forum etiquette in hopes of saving you any problems in the future. Referring to someone using names as you did might not be a good idea if you plan on doing it repeatedly. The property owner may be as you described but you could easily look that up and I'll take it as a personal opinion and won't say I'm skeptical. I don't want to drag a whole bunch of people over here in his defense and detract from this potential hunting site. If you feel the need to call someone a name just do it to me as I am not overly concerned about it. I might have a counter-point.:D

What it appears to me is that you are one massagee away from a great site. All you need is the right person to take over there and you got it made. I am kinda pre-disposed at the moment being happily married, with an attractive neighbor and several other people that would love to get their hands on me so I can't make the trip.

If the guy wants to give someone a massage and their is no legal issues involved all you need is a willing participant and a frisbee. Practice your frisbee skills before you take him over there. You can do this at home or the local park. This isn't something you need to spend a lot of time on but try to get it to where he can catch it or at least look somewhat professional as far as retrieving it. Don't go over to the park and go throwing that thing around knocking the birdies out of the trees and landing it in the mayor's potato salad or flying it into the heads of those detectorists there that probably didn't ask for any trouble.

Take your guy over to the site and start throwing the frisbee around tell the owner you really enjoyed your last visit there. Tell him you described the place to your friend and he was eager to visit. Don't have your friend take his shirt off yet but make sure he sees his various techniques of catching and throwing the frisbee. Sling that puppy about 75 feet over his head. When he starts to retrieve it tell the owner that you're going to be over somewhere detecting and don't go asking too many questions as you did on the school lot.

I won't go into the various tactics you can use to stay on the site unless you take my advice and actually go there and detect. But please don't come up with a fourth site for us to drool over unless you're serious about this permission stuff.:grin:

Do you actually believe this nonsense you write? I used to have a forum although it wasn't metal detecting related and I have seen your type post there... we called them fecal disturbers usually they don't last long on forums... take a little advice... do more detecting and less of what you are doing here.

Do you actually believe this nonsense you write? I used to have a forum although it wasn't metal detecting related and I have seen your type post there... we called them fecal disturbers usually they don't last long on forums... take a little advice... do more detecting and less of what you are doing here.

To answer your question-Yes This post was my answer to the Op's question and was a very effective way to search a site with the information given at the time of the post. I do not have a certain "type" of post but rather unique posts to each situation. Sorry about your forum.

Ceylon, if I'm understanding the situation correctly, the best course of action seems obvious. You can either hunt that place with the creep standing there in his underwear, offering you massages, and taking pictures of you (but you'd have a chance of finding a silver coin or two worth a few bucks melt)...OR...you can hunt somewhere else without being propositioned by a Speedo-clad weirdo and still have a chance of finding a silver coin or two worth a few bucks melt. :lol:

Me? I'd probably go with the no-pervert-in-his-underwear-taking-pictures-of-me-and-offering-me-body-rubs option. Don't know why but it just seems the better path. :p

Some of you guys are hardcore hunters. Don't guess I want to hunt a site that badly:lol:

Attachments

• scared_man.jpg
    scared_man.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 267
If we have to close these threads to stop this constant bickering we are going to do it... we are tired of this... maybe a week off wasn't enough...

Instead of responding to these types of posts report them and we will take care of them...

The week off sure taught me a lesson :) i barely post anymore because of it.

If anyone wants to lose interest in the forum, keep heading towards that 1 week vacation :lol:

Common sense cant be taught unfortunately but most of these threads need it.

I think we pretty well covered it for you.
You have permission so that is no longer an issue.
You need to research and find out when the guy isn't home so you know when to detect.
That's about all we can do for you over here.
You should be good to go. Good luck and keep us posted. HH

If FIDO comes running up to you with a pair of boxers on that will have to be covered in Stories and Pictures of finds or in Finding a Hunting Buddy. It's up to you now.:grin:

So there's a great old 1920s school building and grounds about half a mile from me. I believe it's where the children of the original owners of our house went to school in the 1930s.

Currently owned and maintained by the Board of Cooperative Educational Services and used by them for classes and summer school. This summer the building is closed due to internal renovations.

After calling the main offices of the BOCES program, on Monday July 14th, I was transferred to a gentleman who seemed to be in charge of the school facilities in question. He was stumped by my request to metal detect there. I explained my interest in local history and the hobby and he said that this summer would be the best time to do it. He said he's make some phone calls and ask the higher authorities at the program what they thought. He said he'd get back to me in a few days. I called back on Wednesday and he was out of his office but said he'd be back Thursday (today) and would definitely ask them about it and get back to me today.

So today, Thursday, July 17th I've been waiting around for his call, my treasure finger itching and he hasn't called.

My questions are: 1. Is it too pushy/persistent to call him again, and could that jeopardize my chances to dig this site?

2. If it's a BOCES program, is it owned by the state and thus public land, and then do I even need permission? (Never dug a school before, so I don't know these things).

This would be a huge help, thanks!

HH

OK, if this is state land and the Superintendent of schools says no, do to liability, next step is to go to states attorney and see if they is ANY liability. I'm sure the state is covered, ( what about the mother swinging her child, or someone throwing around a foot ball , etc, etc,, take the info back to the superintendent and show that the it is covered under the state insurance ..
What your going to find out is that its just an excuse, but get all your ducks in a row and inform him you want to bring it up in front of the whole school board ( you've got nothing to loose).. There attorney (school boards) will probably inform them at the meeting that there is no liability, and they should let you do it..
Any thing and everything is covered under the states insurance for the school, and he will have to find another reason to stop you ( but he probably won't) and may grant you permission..
Let us know how it turns out..

Well, that's one way to burn ten minutes of your life away by reading this thread....
I laughed, I cried, I shook my head at some points, I may have even shuddered reading about the guy taking pictures in his underwear. I probably should have clicked the back button after reading the first three or four responses since I knew where it was going but thankfully it did have some unexpected twists and turns that kept it a real page turner.

Thank You for the entertainment...

....Any thing and everything is covered under the states insurance for the school, .....

Hey just-digginit: Re: disputing them about their "liability" song & dance, with the steps you've outlined. Let's say that instead of "metal detecting", we substituted, instead, .... something like ... chainsaw juggling. Or bungie jumping off their playground equipment. Substitute any activity that *might* be deemed dangerous, risky, etc... Then can you compare THOSE type activities, to the state's inherent assumed risk of playground equipment liability of: "... the mother swinging her child, or someone throwing around a foot ball ....". Probably not, right? I mean you can picture them rejecting one activity, while saying "ok" to the other, right?

I don't consider metal detecting to be "risky" or "dangerous" or "damaging". DO YOU ? Thus: just like the mom with the child on the swings, or the kids throwing the ball, I too don't ask. Our activity is under that public entity's normal usage of their grounds. And as to why some bored pencil-pusher might have lumped you or I into the "chain-saw juggling" risk category ? Here's why: the 2nd paragraph of post #50 of this thread:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=175651&highlight=inherently+evil&page=3

Let's say that instead of "metal detecting", we substituted, instead, .... something like ... chainsaw juggling. Or bungie jumping off their playground equipment. [/url]

Reminds me of what we used to say in high school

"If IF was a 5th we'd all be drunk!"

:no:

OK, if this is state land and the Superintendent of schools says no, do to liability, next step is to go to states attorney and see if they is ANY liability. I'm sure the state is covered, ( what about the mother swinging her child, or someone throwing around a foot ball , etc, etc,, take the info back to the superintendent and show that the it is covered under the state insurance ..
What your going to find out is that its just an excuse, but get all your ducks in a row and inform him you want to bring it up in front of the whole school board ( you've got nothing to loose).. There attorney (school boards) will probably inform them at the meeting that there is no liability, and they should let you do it..
Any thing and everything is covered under the states insurance for the school, and he will have to find another reason to stop you ( but he probably won't) and may grant you permission..
Let us know how it turns out..

True- because he already lost it. Not true for the next person.:grin:

I'm not sure I follow you there. I am usually as respectful as they come, and I used the term "pervert" because what would you call a site owner telling you you're sexy, attractive, and he is "having trouble controlling his hormones" around you? To top it all off, I caught him spying on me, photographing me from the windows of the house while I was detecting. And the real kicker was when he showed up in his underwear to watch me detect and offer me a massage. That made me uncomfortable as hell.

As far as the frisbee goes I'm not really catching your drift. Do you mean I should find someone to keep his extra-curricular interests piqued while I do my detecting?

Do all of us a favor. Don't go back there. And more importantly, tell the police about what happened. They will be very interested in what he did.

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
Let's say that instead of "metal detecting", we substituted, instead, .... something like ... chainsaw juggling. Or bungie jumping off their playground equipment. [/url]

I think a lot of times it comes down to what a persons view is towards a material object. For instance: Let's say person "A" would not detect a posted public school even if other people were enjoying other activities there. Person "B" would detect the school under the same conditions.

It might not be a legal,moral or ethical issue at all. It might be that person "A" has a different view than person "B" has on what they consider their metal detector to be.

If they both feel that their metal detector is not an object that requires different consideration than other objects being used on the grounds ,the issue would be one of legal access to the grounds .

If they both felt that their metal detector is an object that requires different consideration than other objects being used on the grounds, the issue would be one of permission to detect on the grounds.

If they each had a different view on whether or not a metal detector requires different consideration that would be the issue and disagreement on whether or not to detect the grounds. :grin:

Do all of us a favor. Don't go back there. And more importantly, tell the police about what happened. They will be very interested in what he did.
No law against being a weirdo on your own land, hes a grown man and left with his man hood intact, what do expect the cops to do?

Kemper, yes, I've said this many times. When you attach definitions and meanings to the term "metal detecting", it makes all the difference in the world to the different takes on legalities/permission issue. If you define it as innocuous and non-harmful, that will dictate your take on the subsequent debates. But if you think of it as inherently damaging, dangerous, and illegal, well then yes, that dictates one's views too.

Man , this has to be the strangest thread I have ever read . I can't believe what some folks here would even think of subjecting themselves to in the name of metal detecting . Anyone ever seen the movie " Deliverance" ?
Then one guy here suggests bringing someone else to keep the "perv" entertained while the detectorist gathers up the coins and such . I've never read that one in the metal detecting code of ethics .

Back
Top Bottom