• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New Smyrna Beach, FL - Newbie Advice

barnlight

New to this forum and new to metal detecting, but I have been reading several posts about beach hunting.

I live in Titusville, FL and last year I bought a condo on New Smyrna Beach, FL and spend my weekends at the beach. I have been watching metal detecting on the beach for the last year and have decided to try this new hobby.

After reading several posts about beach hunting, I would like some advise on the following:

1. Best beach water detector: Minelab Excalibur II with 8" or 10" coil?

2. Place to purchase my detector? KellyCo is just an hour away, but I figured I would just purchase online. I have no loyalty to any dealer, but if something is wrong or I need service I want to deal with a reputable company.

3. Best Pin-pointer for the beach?

4. Suggested tools and scoops?

5. Does anyone know of any clubs in the area or suggested reading for going it alone? Nothing worse than getting frustrated because I cannot figure what the machine is doing.

Please feel free to comment on any of the following. I am leaning towards the Minelab Excalibur II because the majority of the posts about beach hunting I have read seem to use this machine.

Thanks,

Bryan
New Smyrna Beach, FL

Welcome to "Friendly"

I don't offer advice on which detector is better. I water hunt, but seldom get over to either coast. I will say buy the biggest best scoop you can. Preferably stainless tipped. The need for a pinpointer in beach and water hunting is minimal. (see big scoop). There are a lot of fine beach hunters on this forum that can help with picking equipment. We are fortunate that our shores here in Florida are for the most part iron free. Good luck, hope you enjoy the hobby...Gil

My aunt lived in Port Orange above Smyrna Beach in the 40's -60's. The Smyrna Beach, back then, was a Black beach.
It has a lot of blue crabs in the inlet harbor bay area. The sand in this area is not like it is in South Daytona or any of beaches above. So, I do not know much about New Smyrna Beach area, did not go that far then. I did not have a MD then either. Back during this time they did not have many MD's, except for the military [1940's-1950's], and not many. Do not have any idea of what you could find in either beach. One thing to do, is to tune your MD, when on or close to the water is to tune the coil directly on the sand. Otherwise, when off the beach and water areas, tune the coil in the air. Good luck with what ever you do.

Back
Top Bottom