common blue green-common red black.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 344
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 339
  • pcb wire.jpg
    pcb wire.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 336
I'm sure there's a few members willing to help, but we need a bit more information.

What board are you connecting to?
What did the coil come from?

I would **guess** that your 5 wires --
2 are transmit coil, 2 are receive coil, 1 oddball is is possibly ground/shield wire.

Use an ohm meter to find which pairs of wires go together. Not sure how to tell transmit coil from receive coil.

Maybe your board uses the same coil for transmit and receive? I'm just guessing here. There's way more to pairing a detector to a coil than just hooking it up, but the details are beyond me. Don't blow up your board. Good luck!

a good start for this project would also be to source schematics from both companies and see whats going where. It would solve a lot of tracing and guessing with an ohm meter.

I'm sure there's a few members willing to help, but we need a bit more information.

What board are you connecting to?
What did the coil come from?

I would **guess** that your 5 wires --
2 are transmit coil, 2 are receive coil, 1 oddball is is possibly ground/shield wire.

Use an ohm meter to find which pairs of wires go together. Not sure how to tell transmit coil from receive coil.

Maybe your board uses the same coil for transmit and receive? I'm just guessing here. There's way more to pairing a detector to a coil than just hooking it up, but the details are beyond me. Don't blow up your board. Good luck!

thank you for helping me
Basically I recovered a single coil can be Chinese brand MD .... I do not know any reference
green and blue are common ditto black and red the central wire no connection
So I would like to connect to a pirate brand board with just two potentiometers and I have an output with two pins on it, here is my dilemma ...

I googled "pirate metal detector board" expecting to find nothing, but lo and behold -- it's on ebay -- a pulse induction board for $35. It says to use a coil of 0.7 mm wire, 21 turns, diameter of 28cm.

Using anything else your results will probably be bad, but for the sake of experimentation... 28 x pi x 21 = 1847cm. Online wire calculator says 1847cm of 0.7 copper wire should have a resistance of 0.805 ohms.

There are probably online tools to calculate the inductance (mH) of the coil they described, and if you have the right meter, you could measure the mH of your chinese coils. Capacitance probably plays a role, too.

I don't know what happens if the ohms or mH are mis-matched. I don't know if you will mess up the board, or if it just won't detect well.

Perhaps you should build the coil they recommend, see if the resulting metal detector works at all, and if the results are acceptable, THEN risk hooking it up to your chinese coil and see how it performs...

Good luck! Curious how well this board works. The seller claims:
Medium coin - 0.7 feet (20cm).
Soldier's steel helmet - 2 feet (50-60cm).
Large piece of metal - 4.6 feet (1.4 meters).

I googled "pirate metal detector board" expecting to find nothing, but lo and behold -- it's on ebay -- a pulse induction board for $35. It says to use a coil of 0.7 mm wire, 21 turns, diameter of 28cm.

Using anything else your results will probably be bad, but for the sake of experimentation... 28 x pi x 21 = 1847cm. Online wire calculator says 1847cm of 0.7 copper wire should have a resistance of 0.805 ohms.

There are probably online tools to calculate the inductance (mH) of the coil they described, and if you have the right meter, you could measure the mH of your chinese coils. Capacitance probably plays a role, too.

I don't know what happens if the ohms or mH are mis-matched. I don't know if you will mess up the board, or if it just won't detect well.

Perhaps you should build the coil they recommend, see if the resulting metal detector works at all, and if the results are acceptable, THEN risk hooking it up to your chinese coil and see how it performs...

Good luck! Curious how well this board works. The seller claims:
Medium coin - 0.7 feet (20cm).
Soldier's steel helmet - 2 feet (50-60cm).
Large piece of metal - 4.6 feet (1.4 meters).

It's easy to build a capacitance and inductance meter from an ardweebno too. I don't need one often enough to buy one, so I just mock one up out of a few spare parts most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom