Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Default 5" Sharp or Snake coil for high trash areas?

I primarily hunt schools and parks for clad. I get into very high trash areas where tones/VDI numbers change with the slightest movement of the coil. I am thinking about trying a different coil on my Fisher F44, which will accept coils for the Teknetics Greek series. The 2 coils I am considering are the NEL Sharp and the NEL Snake.

Any input from folks who have used either of these would be greatly appreciated. Any input on alternate coils would be welcome.

THANKS!

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Well, from all the input (sarcasm), I went with the Snake coil. I tried it last night in my front yard for about 15 minutes before the sun went down and came up with a clad quarter, a copper memorial penny and a 1951 wheat penny.

After running the 11" teardrop coil that comes stock, this Snake is TINY! It definitely makes me slow down. I won't cover as much ground in the same amount of time, but hopefully will produce more valuable finds.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by ozarkhunter View post
Well, from all the input (sarcasm), I went with the Snake coil. I tried it last night in my front yard for about 15 minutes before the sun went down and came up with a clad quarter, a copper memorial penny and a 1951 wheat penny.

After running the 11" teardrop coil that comes stock, this Snake is TINY! It definitely makes me slow down. I won't cover as much ground in the same amount of time, but hopefully will produce more valuable finds.
I'm thinking about the Snake or Sharp for my F44 as well, any updates?

Way off the beaten path

Old 03-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Elite Member

I've never used a snake but I've hunted next to one and they are tiny! They can get pretty deep for a small coil too. I've always used detech coils but always wanted to try the NEL's. Good luck and happy hunting!

☆1-Shield~6-V's~1-Buff☆

Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM

I'm considering the NEL snake could for my T2. What kind of depth are you getting with it?