Why change so often or own so many?

Vinnie1966

Why are some of you changing detectors so often, or own half a dozen or so.:?:
It just doesn't make much sense to me.
Better to invest in doing research for new locations and getting permissions.:yes:
Also, it takes time to really master a machine, many detectorists give up to soon on a good detector.
I only use two, one analogue machine for digging everything above iron, and a digital one that is better in 'guessing' what is under my coil so I can ignore certain targets without missing to many good ones.
I am sure finds will improve if you stick to just one or two detectors and invest more in research for new locations. :research:

Choice of detector isn't the holy grail, by far!

1st: Location!
2nd: Experience and focus from the user.
3th: Choice of detector.

I guess for me it's that I'm kind of a hoarder. I have six machines. One I bought new and is my main machine. My backup is my f2 which I am very fond of. I also won one other one. One other was given to me because that person wasn't using it. And the other two I paid a total of $30 for them and like to play with them on occasion. I like to learn new things so I look forward to acquire new ones in the future but don't plan on selling any because I hope to get my young grandsons into the hobby so I'm going to need a bunch for that and if that doesn't work out then I will thin the herd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For fun.
I have a few detectors, I learn them very well spending hundreds if not thousands of hours standing behind them...they have a found me a lot.
Still, I have great fun switching around between some of them that I still use and it is a whole lot of fun to learn new ones, for me.
My self worth is not tied up in what I find doing this hobby, everything I find is just great and satisfying...it is about the journey for me, not the destination.
The most important thing to me is the joy I have when I hunt and the camaraderie I feel when I hunt with friends.
Also I do feel great when I do find something cool and can post about it but that is a pleasant byproduct of my effort, not the goal.

At one time I owned more than one vehicle, a 1976 Dodge van and a 1970 Dodge Charger.
I didn't really need the van to move things around, I just enjoyed building and modding the thing with sun roofs and other things.
I didn't race the car even though I could have because it was very fast.
I owned and drove them both because it was just so much fun to switch between them.
I could only drive one at a time so logically I didn't need two but owning and using two different daily drivers was just...fun.

I own a Nox, an F70 and a Mojave and use them all for the same reason.
Fun.

I started out with a entry level machine (Whites Coinmaster). It was to see how well I liked the hobby and if I wanted to pursue it on a reqular basis. No one warned me how addicting it can be! Within the first 6 months I had found more than enough to pay for the machine I started with and to consider purchasing a more upscale model.

Recommendations suggested the Whites Dual Field PI which I purchased but after using it found a steep learning curve and was annoyed by the constant thresholdand whine. I needed something new and at the time was recommended the ATPro. That was an excellent dry/wet sand machine and I found literally thousands worth of jewlery which i dont think I would have found using the two previous machines I had purchased.

As I said once a machine pays for it self you start thinking about upgrading and I wanted to do some serious salt water hunting. These forums quickly recommended the Fisher CZ-21 and the Excal II, both great machines and I went with the CZ-21. I wasn't dissapointed as it started to pay for itself right away and continues to do so.

Most recent purchase just a couple weeks ago was the Equinox 800, why you might ask, because I can. Its a hobby that pays for itself and when faced with many competitors you want the best edge you can get, but not at a over bearing cost. As I learn the NOX 800 I clearly see it will be my go to machine for shallow water along with the dry/wet sand.

What's happened to the other machines in my collection? I got grandkids that love a day at the beach with grandpa and argue over which machine they get to use that day. Even the Dual Field gets regular use even though I'm not partial to it my oldest grand son loves it and regularly pulls out treasure from the surf! I wonder if I should rent out the machine to him so I get a cut?!?

Anyway, Why so many machines is a personal choice depending on the situation and family and hunting conditions.

d9084cd79472fcec791c1e39ba43aa63.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some folks just like to try a new machine just to see what it is capable of. Some times they do not click with the machine and go to something else.

If you have ever collected anything with passion, you would understand why you can't have just one. Even tho you may hunt with one unit 99% of the time. At least they don't break the bank like collecting vintage cars or women who collect fancy shoes.

Why more detectors? Probably to try the latest, get something lighter with better capabilities, and still continue to find "good stuff". Do you only have one rifle to hunt bunnies and buffalo? No? Well why would you only have one detector? (if the answer is yes, I'll shut up)
I started on a MXT, went to a MX Sport, got an early Nox 800, and to date I've paid for each of the detectors, and the extra coils, a couple of times over, and believe I got a better machine each time I upgraded. I even bought a new detector just for gold prospecting, so that makes four. Each unit has it's place in the arsenal.
So, in response to your question: Why? Well, it just works for me.:yes:

Why have just one or two fishing poles, or just a few lures ?
Why have just one or two shot guns ?
I think it comes down to what your hunting for
& what one is comfortable with using....?
I've owned 4 detectors, sold one, now at three machines.
I might sell one or two? and Jump into that EQ800 league in 2019 :?:

I own 10 machines. 3 are AT Pros. All 3 have the 5x8 coil. I use them 95% of the time. I keep one in both of my vehicles and the third is a backup. I also own 6 pinpointers. I keep 2 in each vehicle and the others are backups. I still have the 2 Ace 250s I started with. I teach people who want to learn to hunt with thosebecause they can dive right in and find things. One of my “students” found an 1876 $20 Double Eagle gold coin on his second hunt (I hate him. Lol). The other machines are an xTerra 705, 2 Sovereigns,an etrac and a Sand Shark for beach hunting. I use them according to the conditions.

Golfers use different clubs for different purposes. Why shouldn’t we?

By the way, I bought the 250s new. All the others I bought used. Great deals are out there if you look.

I started with a Fisher F2, as it was the best I could afford at the time.

A few years later, my nephew sold me his Ace 250 (for 50 bucks :) His parents wouldn't let me pay any more than that to teach him a lesson...plus, if he changes his mind, I'll sell it back to him for just a small profit)

Then I got a great deal on an AT Pro with the 5X8 coil...

Just yesterday I ordered a Nox 800 which will be here tomorrow (Thanks again Bart).

I've been upgrading all along the way, and have kept my older detectors as you never know when you'll need a spare, or someone might want to borrow one for their own yard, which can lead to a nice permission.

One of my friends has two AT Pros but there's a different coil on each. He says he's too lazy to switch coils so he just uses two machines. :lol:

Each of my machines have shown special abilities. There are needs which the V3i excels due to analysis. It just never found the deep silver the buddies did with their FBS machines.

My M6 is simple, fast and a coin grabber, nice unit to count on anywhere for coin shooting.

The Explorer Pro is king in fun with deep silver. A bit slow, and except for the sweet silver tone, VDI can test my patience. I'll always keep that machine.

The Equinox 600 has opened up my old hard hunted spots again. It is amazingly fast and deep.

Lastly, I am horrible at selling anything. My detectors will likely be inherited or given to special friends and family.

They are all fun, simple at that.

Better to invest in doing research for new locations and getting permissions.:yes:
Also, it takes time to really master a machine, many detectorists give up to soon on a good detector.
I only use two, one analogue machine for digging everything above iron, and a digital one that is better in 'guessing' what is under my coil so I can ignore certain targets without missing to many good ones.
I am sure finds will improve if you stick to just one or two detectors and invest more in research for new locations. :research:

This is a good post, with some good points. Learn your machine, research, location, and don't give up too soon on a good detector. As far as your question about why so many, I used to wonder that myself. After reading many posts on the advantages of various machines, the fun of switching it up for different situations, backups and loaners, vintage collectors, etc., I get it. Lots of reasons...or no reason at all. To each his own, as they say.

For many detectorists, a big part of the fun of this hobby is collecting and using many different units.

It sounds like my personal approach to detecting is very similar to yours, Vinnie. Where we disagree is on lecturing others on how they are wrong because they pursue the hobby differently.

Back
Top Bottom