First Time Use With 5 x 8 Coil For AT PRO

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
I got a used 5 x 8 coil from DirtyRob for the AT Pro and also some new rubber buttons for my Garrett (Black) pro pointer from Garrett. So I got a chance this afternoon to get out and try out the 5 x 8 coil. It had a lot of chatter even with ground balancing but found an area where I was hunting that it finally got quiet. I was amazed at how simple it was to use and lightweight! I don't think I'll go back to the stock coil! Love this one!

When it chimed in on a target it said however deep and I called what it was and was right most of the time. I had it set on PRO/COINS. And every time it was right on the depth.

Basically, I cherry-picked today to learn the coil and the sounds. And I only found one pull tab today. The nickels locked in on 53 and never budged. Quarters came in at 83-85, dimes 79-81, pennies 75-82 (depending on whether it was zinc or copper).

Here's the one and only picture I took of the coins -- did not clean them.

Thanks for looking. GL and HH!

Attachments

• First Hunt With 5 x 8 Coil on AT PRO 10-18-2018.jpg
    First Hunt With 5 x 8 Coil on AT PRO 10-18-2018.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Hope this helps your back from acting up. Now go find some silver and gold!

I'll sure do my best! Don't think I will ever return to the stock coil! So much lighter. Actually, the detector + stock coil is 3.4 lbs and the detector with the 5 x 8 coil is only 2.8 lbs (about 9.6 ounces lighter).

Had fun with it today in a tot lot and the surrounding area. Supposed to get rain tomorrow night and Saturday morning and then clear out so maybe I can get in some serious hunting Saturday after the rain. Rather hard right now digging in the dirt. But it is supposed to be in the 30's Sunday morning -- brrrr.

THANK YOU FOR THE COIL!

Been thinking I'd do the same with my AT max, thought I'd get the 5X8 coil and give it a try, seems like lots are using it. Going to put one for sure on my wife's MAX, she will do good with the weight reduction. Think I'll get me a 5X8 and then a bigger coil for field hunting as well. Hey Question for you: did you do a factory reset on your machine after putting on the new coil?

Nice little haul there. I gotta say that 5 x 8 coil is really good. In fact thats all I ran for several years. You just cant go wrong with it and you'll find a lot more with it in those heavy trashy areas. I ended up rebuilding my AT Pro onto an CF shaft and even a smaller coil, the NEL 3.6 x 6.5 and it really cuts through that iron.
I think you will find that big stock coil will sit most of the time. Mine hasnt been used since the first year I got my AT Pro. Good luck with that new coil!

Been thinking I'd do the same with my AT max, thought I'd get the 5X8 coil and give it a try, seems like lots are using it. Going to put one for sure on my wife's MAX, she will do good with the weight reduction. Think I'll get me a 5X8 and then a bigger coil for field hunting as well. Hey Question for you: did you do a factory reset on your machine after putting on the new coil?

Reset? No? Don't know about that! Huh! Don't know what you're talking about!

Reset? No? Don't know about that! Huh! Don't know what you're talking about!
I went ahead and bought me 5X8 for my max last night after comenting on your post.
They say and recomend you do a factory reset when you switch out coils, seems like machine needs to be recalibrated to ne coil size. Here is a link on it, very simple just hold the ON button for couple seconds till it beeps twice.
Watch "How and why to reset your Garrett detector" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/YJdUba8Tpic

If your AT ever starts acting up you can do a reset and good chance it will straighten it out also, hope that helps.

I went ahead and bought me 5X8 for my max last night after comenting on your post.
They say and recomend you do a factory reset when you switch out coils, seems like machine needs to be recalibrated to ne coil size. Here is a link on it, very simple just hold the ON button for couple seconds till it beeps twice.
Watch "How and why to reset your Garrett detector" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/YJdUba8Tpic

If your AT ever starts acting up you can do a reset and good chance it will straighten it out also, hope that helps.

Thanks I will do that. Watched the video. Going on my 2nd hunt now at a 1968 house.

2nd Hunt A Bust!

The 1968 house had dirt so hard you needed a jack hammer to dig with. I had both my Compadre and the AT Pro with me and neither one found any coins at any depth -- got plenty of aluminum siding! Grrrr The AT Pro did lock onto good signals at 6-8 inches that could have been coins but I'll have to wait for a good rain.

We're supposed to get rain tonight but it's going to start turning colder (mid to upper 30's). We'll see what next week brings. Going to try to get out Saturday afternoon after the rain before it turns cold. Will let you know if I go out.

Back
Top Bottom