Kentucky Old Coin Contest

Jodo_Kast501

I don't know how many hunters there are here from Kentucky, but I am of the feeling that us Kentucky folks can't let ourselves be outdone by the fine gentlemen (and women) of Wisconsin from whom I have shamelessly and thankfully borrowed this idea. I propose that we start a contest along similar lines: oldest coin to have been dug in Kentucky in 2018 by the end of the year wins and your entry on this post must include a photo of the coin. Pretty simple.

We have history of Europeans here from at least 1750, so hopefully we will have some good entries. I will kick things off with my oldest coin, dug in February of this year: an 1835 Capped Bust Half Dime. Kentuckians, fire away.

8LQpWRCl.jpg

OK Jodo....you’re going to have to rescind your entry,and I’ll tell you why! Most guys anywhere are never going to find something that old no matter where they are,and if you are going to play host,you can’t be the winner. It’s bad juju. That’s a helluva nice coin that I’d love to find one day,but for people to get on board with you in Kentucky,you have to let the bidding start somewhere else. It’d be like you selling something at auction and putting in a ridiculously high bid to start. You’re not likely to get any takers...
Of course I like the idea of the contest,it gives people something to shoot for and they realize that they can indeed win. Just not competing against a Capped Bust right out of the gate,and with 2.5 months to go!
Be sure to give them a chance,be a gracious host and DO have something besides bragging rights to offer,even if it’s a few Mercs or something you can send them. That way,you’re the good guy and giving always earns respect. At least it does for me,as I can’t get it any other way...:lol:
Good luck with how you set it up, just try to make it achievable.:grin:

Good thinking. Might be better to start it up early next year and start with something a bit easier to top. I just figured those folks in central KY would be covered up with large cents ...

I don't know how many hunters there are here from Kentucky

I'm from KY (recent WV transplant) and I really haven't found much old stuff from here yet. Been really busy this year and haven't got much detecting done. I live in Carter Co. good to meet u!

I think there is a Kentuckian here who routinely finds 1700s coppers. This won’t last long if he sees this post lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah if you guys find that stuff down there then maybe the bust isn’t out of place. Of course,your call. It is cool to see guys hunting hard to make the cut!

Back
Top Bottom