What’s your most popular clad find?

Diabolik

Elite Member
I am curious what your most common clad finds are? Since I’ve started hunting a few local parks and sports fields, the number of quarter finds shocks me. Sunday I found like $4.25 in quarters, about $1.00 in dimes and maybe 10 pennies. The funny thing is I was hunting a newer grassy area between 3 baseball fields and found almost nothing but quarters. Most of the pennies and dimes were found in an older wooded area that picnic tables were once located in. In my short career of hunting I think I have only found like 4 nickels. :?:

I am curious what your most common clad finds are? Since I’ve started hunting a few local parks and sports fields, the number of quarter finds shocks me. Sunday I found like $4.25 in quarters, about $1.00 in dimes and maybe 10 pennies. The funny thing is I was hunting a newer grassy area between 3 baseball fields and found almost nothing but quarters. Most of the pennies and dimes were found in an older wooded area that picnic tables were once located in. In my short career of hunting I think I have only found like 4 nickels. :?:

Nickels are the least common coin in change. You rarely get more than one, no matter what you are owed back. They also sound like pull tabs. You have to work harder for them.

If one was to dig all the signals, pennies can be absolutely ridiculous in some places. Outside a college dorm where I had permission, I found over 100 coins in a couple of hours and about 75% of them were pennies. Brutal. But I did find a big silver and gold ring at that same permission that rang up 81 on the AT Pro and an 18 gram 10k class ring that rang up as a 74, so ...

Nickels are the least common coin in change. You rarely get more than one, no matter what you are owed back. They also sound like pull tabs. You have to work harder for them.

I guess I have never thought about nickels that way, but makes great sense. Yes, they are tough I got fooled a few times on Sunday thinking I had a nickel. Usually for me it is the tongue of a pull tab. I will dig a solid 24-25 just because I see so few nickels.

If one was to dig all the signals, pennies can be absolutely ridiculous in some places. Outside a college dorm where I had permission, I found over 100 coins in a couple of hours and about 75% of them were pennies. Brutal. But I did find a big silver and gold ring at that same permission that rang up 81 on the AT Pro and an 18 gram 10k class ring that rang up as a 74, so ...

I haven’t been overwhelmed by pennies yet, but that sounds extreme. I haven’t found a ring of any type yet so I am not really sure exactly what the Simplex will show? From what I have read I believe it will come in as a 50-51 for gold which is right in line with lots of other park trash..:roll:

My best day digging nickels was the outside edge of a football field at a local park. I worked half way round the field. When it got dark i worked directly across the field. First time i had detected on the field itself. Found a 10kl ring in the middle of the field. I was surprised when i got home and had 27 nickels in my finds pouch. Dug nine bucks in clad so i dont know why there were so many nickels

I use an Equinox 800. I ignore most shallow 19-22 signals and as a result, I don't dig too many zincolns. 23 is almost always a screw cap, so I dig every reasonably repeatable 24 and above-regardless of depth. As a result, dimes are my most common clad and by far my most common silver. 39 of my 43 silvers this year have been dimes. Copper memorials also fall in to this zone so I get a lot of those too.
I also key in on 12-13s and pull a lot of nickels that many a detectorist before me decided were pull tabs. I do get lots of beavertails and pull tabs but I just can't resist them, especially if they show deep. Some days I get more nickels than dimes, but overall-- dimes rule.

This year I have hunted nearly exclusively for relics. To give you perspective, shotgun shell headstamps outnumber clad coins by a lot. Year to date I have found 108 clad coins. Pennies make up the majority of the clad. Here's the breakdown...

Quarters: 19%
Dimes: 17%
Nickels: 13%
Pennies: 51%

For me it varies a bit from park to park and even hunt to hunt. This year's Clad numbers are:
Quarters 100 32%
Dimes 82 26%
Nickles 49 16%
Cent 74 24%

For me it varies a bit from park to park and even hunt to hunt. This year's Clad numbers are:
Quarters 100 32%
Dimes 82 26%
Nickles 49 16%
Cent 74 24%

Nice showing on the nickels!

The two local parks I am hunting are not terribly old so I have yet to find any silver and only a couple of wheats. I know people in general carry less change overall, but it seems like in the newer ball fields quarters are king. Is this like pocket change inflation? Now everyone just carries and loses quarters? When I hunt anywhere even remotely older that number seems to go down and the pennies and dimes take over. It's like quarters are zincolns for the new generation. :?:

Your ratio of quarters to other coins is normal. Back in the early 80's when i started detecting, pennies were the most common followed by dimes and then quarters. Nowadays quarters are king with dimes coming in second. Nickels are the least common unless you're including halves and dollar coins. One reason I don't get a lot of pennies is because I ignore zinc signals. if I dug all zincs, pennies would be right up there with quarters. Right now my clad quarters make up 57% of my clad finds.....311 of 543 coins. Pennies about 12%.....62 out of 543.

It's all about quarters in my book. 90 percent are quarters for me and then dimes and nickels. Found around $10,000 in quarters since 2013!! :cool3: I use the nox 800. The pic is from 2018 totals!

Noxdude50

Attachments

• 20191109_180919.jpg
    20191109_180919.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 240
It's all about quarters in my book. 90 percent are quarters for me and then dimes and nickels. Found around $10,000 in quarters since 2013!! :cool3: I use the nox 800. The pic is from 2018 totals!

Noxdude50

I always enjoy your clad layout. I sometimes start thinking clad isn't glamorous. You make me seriously reconsider.

Jodo, do you mean to say that an 81 on my AT Pro might not always be a dime ! I mean I like finding dimes....but wouldn't mind some big silver or gold to show up instead.

Your ratio of quarters to other coins is normal. Back in the early 80's when i started detecting, pennies were the most common followed by dimes and then quarters. Nowadays quarters are king with dimes coming in second. Nickels are the least common unless you're including halves and dollar coins. One reason I don't get a lot of pennies is because I ignore zinc signals. if I dug all zincs, pennies would be right up there with quarters. Right now my clad quarters make up 57% of my clad finds.....311 of 543 coins. Pennies about 12%.....62 out of 543.

The field area of the park I was hunting on Sunday was very clean. Super easy to cherry pick coins so I was pretty much digging everything. I guess I just didn't realize I would find so many quarters. Up until now I haven't found that many of them. Not that I am complaining.

Noxdude50

I have seen your pictures and threads. Always unbelievable to see and quite the accomplishment. I can totally understand you passing on the small stuff. Sunday was my first trip out to a park using the smaller 9.5 x 5 coil on the Simplex. Was certainly advantageous. Reworked an area I had already hunted and produced a nice handful of clad I had missed using the stock coil. It seems to be very well suited for picking out quarters. ID's have been rock solid and I haven't had anything fool me yet in the quarter range so I am happy about that. I only did probably a 1/4 area I am pulling quarters out of so when I go back I can pick up right where I left off. Should keep me busy for a little while anyways.

Pennies are by far the most commonly lost coins overall. I will not agree with anyone who says otherwise. It could be considered fortunate that most of them are zinc pennies now, so ignoring them is easier. Whether I dig more pennies than other coins(I usually do) depends on my detecting choices at the time. Besides pennies, quarters seem to be more abundant than dimes. Then nickels are 3rd. Modern dollar coins show up more often than half dollars.

I mainly hunt Chicago parks and cents are literally everywhere. Probably the most common ones I find are copper pennies 1980 and older. I did however chance upon what I believe to be a kid's "buried treasure". All these were literally in the same hole. A handful of pennies (both copper & zinc), paperclips, a pushpin, a button, and a flattened Nefertiti penny from the Field Museum in Chicago. My hunch is that this was buried probably in the 90's since the oldest is a 1995. The kid is probably my age by now. LOL

Attachments

• 116837187_10157836571599633_9210388781398291726_o.jpg
    116837187_10157836571599633_9210388781398291726_o.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 4fc7cf7f68062128803ed14c85705513.jpg
    4fc7cf7f68062128803ed14c85705513.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 245
Pennies are by far the most commonly lost coins overall. I will not agree with anyone who says otherwise. It could be considered fortunate that most of them are zinc pennies now, so ignoring them is easier. Whether I dig more pennies than other coins(I usually do) depends on my detecting choices at the time. Besides pennies, quarters seem to be more abundant than dimes. Then nickels are 3rd. Modern dollar coins show up more often than half dollars.

I have seen people "toss" pennies before and they are common to see laying about in your daily travels. Most people won't even bother to pick them up. I see one with in reach, I'm pretty much picking it up. LOL

Diggin,
I've not spent a lot of time looking for clad or nickels. I'm wondering what you are getting on your AT Max for ID values on the range of nickel styles/ages. Do you have that information? Any other AT Max drivers have any opinions?
The only nickel I've found so far is a 1902 "V" nickel and it gave me upper 40s ID values in air.

This question made me curious so I made a little chart out of my clad finds for this year (total $174.16). The permissions hunted have been a mix, so I think it's a fairly representative sample of public sports fields, some private permissions, and heavily hunted spots too.

zLWzPPel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom