Please Help! Jewelry Detecting Experts out there?

HugoBorchardt

I am trying to help a lady find a 14K heart pendant and chain similar to the one pictured below. I've never found anything like that and was curious what someone that finds things like this would expect a small 14k item like this to ring up as. I've heard small gold items like this ring up like foil.

Update: Necklace is white gold.

The heart is just a little smaller than a quarter.

Should I look for something in Pull-tab range, or way less?

It was lost five years ago. I expect it to be about 3 inches deep in her really big yard.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Clark

Attachments

• heartnecklace.jpg
    heartnecklace.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 407
My solid gold rings up iron on my ace.... I know... sucks, don't know if the settings from factory are bad or if they are all like that, makes me want to run from Garrett, but the money was already spent, and anything extra for another MD will be hard to come by.

Sorry I know that is of no help.

I'm still a NUB but maybe if you are not going to dig holes all over the lawn you could go for depth. If you think that 3" is your target range then consider all deeper targets UBO.

RU sure the item is GOLD? It looks silver in photo???
If so should show up in the dime-quarter range...

Yeah-from iron to foil, depending on the thickness. Jo Ann, this is normal for teeny gold on the Ace and I have found earrings with the iron id and "boop" tone. A larger ring should go above iron.

Depending on the size from foil on up if it isn't tiny.

White gold...real low because of the alloy.
Here are 2 similar rings I found.
The white gold one is actually larger than the yellow gold.
Look at the difference.
Mid range foil on one--High nickel just below tabs on the other.

If it is real small it could be iron, too.

Attachments

• twins2.jpg
    twins2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 339
Depending on the size from foil on up if it isn't tiny.

White gold...real low because of the alloy.
Here are 2 similar rings I found.
The white gold one is actually larger than the yellow gold.
Look at the difference.
Mid range foil on one--High nickel just below tabs on the other.

If it is real small it could be iron, too.

Foil signals are GOOD! Specially the real solid ones!

So the limited discernment in the aces are useless?
Depends on location mainly-but if you are a dedicated gold hunter, ID is merely a TOOL on ALL detectors. Tiny gold is barely detectable on most detectors and that's just the way it is. But imagine checking out all these tiny signals in a tab-infested area or amidst tiny pieces of foil, canslaw,etc. The Ace's features are for COINS and the rest is operator skill. I know this is aggravating, but the good news is that there is still gold left because most won't pay the price to find it. And so goes life.

Back
Top Bottom