Need a little friendly advvice

BlueLine

Was asked by a friend recently if I could possibly locate a ring she lost 20 years ago under the porch of their cottage. The porch is elevated and getting underneath is relatively easy, it also has a generous amount of sand fill. My first day under proved to be less than fruitfull except for a lot of rusty nails. I have an ATPro and was using the 11" coil but the racket was terrible from all the ferrous returns. Day 2, I returned with the smaller 8 inch coil and discriminated iron out up to 30 and iron audio set to off. Ground ballanced till all was quiet and tried again. Still noisey. I'm afraid to discriminate to far which might eliminate the ring too. The ring was supposed to be a Lady's gold College Class ring. I've not been fortunate enough to find any gold with the Pro so far so I'm not sure what to listen for. Also I generally search in the PRO Zero Mode. I've only had the pro for about 10 months so I'm still learning. Also mixed in with the old rusty nails is a generous amount of spent shell casings from 22 shorts and up, foil wrappers and bottle caps but few coins. My plan so far is to try to dig everything, but thats getting to be a major under taking. Any one have some other plan of attack or a more efficient method. I would sure like to find this ladies ring. It supposedly fell off her finger and fell through the cracks in the decking. :?::?:

:digginahole:

Smaller rings "usually" hit in foil range but not always. If it has not been there long turn down sensitivity as you don't want to waste time digging 7 in pop tabs.

Good luck!

Was asked by a friend recently if I could possibly locate a ring she lost 20 years ago under the porch of their cottage. The porch is elevated and getting underneath is relatively easy, it also has a generous amount of sand fill. My first day under proved to be less than fruitfull except for a lot of rusty nails. I have an ATPro and was using the 11" coil but the racket was terrible from all the ferrous returns. Day 2, I returned with the smaller 8 inch coil and discriminated iron out up to 30 and iron audio set to off. Ground ballanced till all was quiet and tried again. Still noisey. I'm afraid to discriminate to far which might eliminate the ring too. The ring was supposed to be a Lady's gold College Class ring. I've not been fortunate enough to find any gold with the Pro so far so I'm not sure what to listen for. Also I generally search in the PRO Zero Mode. I've only had the pro for about 10 months so I'm still learning. Also mixed in with the old rusty nails is a generous amount of spent shell casings from 22 shorts and up, foil wrappers and bottle caps but few coins. My plan so far is to try to dig everything, but thats getting to be a major under taking. Any one have some other plan of attack or a more efficient method. I would sure like to find this ladies ring. It supposedly fell off her finger and fell through the cracks in the decking. :?::?:

Can't help you with the AT Pro, but if it's sand fill can you discriminate nothing and get/make a sifter? That would speed up recovery and help clean out all the junk targets that are impeding your search.

can't help you with ATP but is it a huge porch? can the lady narrow down the likely spot? where rocker or porch swing may be? along entrance way? I would look under those areas and then grid off and just dig everything. maybe bounced off porch into front/side of porch.

My mom swore her ring flew off into neighbors yard from curb but after three visits, found it where she was likely standing.

The sifter idea is a good one. Rake the surface stuff out and check that (you might get rid of a lot of trash that way). Then check the next layer and work it like that. If your sensitivity is near the max, it might be hitting on the nails in the porch flooring above (wasn't sure how much clearance you had from the ground to the porch deck), so make sure your sensitivity is not too high. Remember, the ATP is very sensitive. Also, if you have a 5x8 coils that might help, although it's not a necessity.

Also, see what size ring it was so you can get an idea of it if will likely ring lower or higher on the ID.

Let us know how you make out! :D Hopefully it's still there and passing wildlife didn't see something shiny and make off with it.

Have found a ladies gold class ring with my A T Pro it was a solid 68. But I cannot remember what it was for sure either 12 or 14.

Going to make the sifter tomorrow then try to rid the area of nails and trash. If I don't unearth it that way at least I'll have a cleaner playing field.The overhead porch is just a little shy of being head high but I'll still turn the sensitivity down a few notches, but not too far because this loss was 20 years ago. The porch is about 12'x30' so I think I'll grid the search areas. I did bring a couple of rakes to police up the area under and around the porches perimeter. Also appreciate the range and numbers to look for. Since not all the crops, soybean and cotton are in yet this will keep me busy for a while. Hopefully I can find the thing, ....and stand upright again, backs killing me under there.

Well, if it is easy enough for you, take a pinpointer and scan over the ground with that. It would take a while but it's been there for 20 years. Shouldn't be going anywhere.

Try'n everyone's suggestions

Made the sifter, great aid for what you can't see but the pin pointer says otherwise. Reinterviewed the lady on where she was exactly when the ring came off, that really cut the search area by about 2/3s, but it's still a 10x15 foot area.
Today I did an area about 4x4 with the 5x8 coil, the pro pointer, a rake and the sifter. About a pound of nails, fourty two 22 shell casings and 12 small lead discs. Found out they had removed a tin roof when they got there years ago, thus the lead seals. I rerun the coil after policing and the area is quiet. About three hours into today's search I encountered a very painfull discovery.....Leg Cramps, didn't think I was going to be able to get out of there, whata hurt, the kind on the inside of your leg, down to your ankle, wow!:shock:.Gonna give the legs a couple of days and I'll be back, I will find her ring......I hope. It's become a gotta do thing for me.:digginahole::digginahole::digginahole:

Wow, sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Nice job and thanks for the update. Hope you find that ring soon!

You are definitely determined!!! You’ll find that ring. Get some potassium in you--and your cramps will heal fast!! Good luck :cool:

Did forget to mention, I did unearth 4 cents all from the 60s. Plus two horseshoes, one Red one one Blue one, I'll keep looking for the White one. Thought my luck would change when I found the first one, but only got lucky enough to find the other one:laughing:

Please do keep posting updates. There are plenty of us out here watching your progress and rooting for you to find the ring! Regardless of the outcome, you have certainly given it a valiant effort. Good karma coming your way.
Regards,
Rich

Unless the ring is broken, it should be as clear a sound as a nickel.
If it's masked by iron you should still be able to pick it out if you listen for the wheat among the chaff.

I don't think that ring will be as deep as your digging. 10K Women's class rings are around the nickel range as already stated. I would guess between 48 and 55? I would go down in 2 inch layers.

Back
Top Bottom