ATP mid tone question and...

sleepyjim

Elite Member
another....

when getting low tone and mid tone all mixed is this saying there is junk and something else or just hoppin tones?

Also with disc to 40, why do signals under that, say 30 still give tones? I thought disc out means no tones.....Iron was off.

Jim

another....

when getting low tone and mid tone all mixed is this saying there is junk and something else or just hoppin tones?

Also with disc to 40, why do signals under that, say 30 still give tones? I thought disc out means no tones.....Iron was off.

Jim

Good question....I hope the experts chime in on this because I have wondered the same thing.

1) Could be either, swing from different angles.. and directions to attempt to isolate the two. If it sounds the same from any direction it is most likely not two targets. If it goes low high while swinging right to left, and high low swinging left right it most likely is two targets

2) That's why I don't run any disc, I would rather hear it all instead of all that stuttering bs... Also you might miss out on a good target while it is trying to keep its mouth shut on a bad one, at least that is the theory I work with...

3) 5x8.. DO IT!!

:yes:

<*)))>{

1) Could be either, swing from different angles.. and directions to attempt to isolate the two. If it sounds the same from any direction it is most likely not two targets. If it goes low high while swinging right to left, and high low swinging left right it most likely is two targets

2) That's why I don't run any disc, I would rather hear it all instead of all that stuttering bs... Also you might miss out on a good target while it is trying to keep its mouth shut on a bad one, at least that is the theory I work with...

3) 5x8.. DO IT!!

:yes:

<*)))>{

I'm definitely getting a 5x8 coil soon. Everything I have heard about its better than the stock.

don't have that MD but I also run no disc. missed way too many things when I disc out iron ... doesn't take long to learn to ignore those low tones of iron

If Iron Audio is turned off you should not hear any tones from targets below where you have Iron Discrimination set(40). With Iron Audio on you will hear them as grunts/low tones.

I agree that is how it is supposed to work... But not how mine works..

<*)))>{

same here. larger iron targets often give me a "crackle" sound, but not necessarily the full iron tone. other iron targets will give higher-than-40 tones. very old rusty iron targets (including small nails!) tend to show up all over the board, with very inconsistent readings. if it sounds like junk, it probably is..... but not always.
size, depth, age, grade of the metal, orientation of the item, ground moisture (or lack of), proximity to other items in the ground.... any and all of those factors come into play.
i don't look at the screen anywhere near as much as i used to, i try playing things by ear rather than by numbers and about the only time i'll use any iron descrim is if i'm in an extremely trashy area. 95%+ of the time, i run my At wide open, no descrim and 8 sens.
in short, if it sounds like it could be something good, dig it but those mixed .tones.... they can be almost anything. when in doubt, it's best to dig it rather than to wonder what it could have been. yes, you'll be digging more trashy stuff, but you'll be getting more better targets and a much better knowledge of what your machine is telling you about your various targets.

Pete

same here. larger iron targets often give me a "crackle" sound, but not necessarily the full iron tone. other iron targets will give higher-than-40 tones. very old rusty iron targets (including small nails!) tend to show up all over the board, with very inconsistent readings. if it sounds like junk, it probably is..... but not always.

Exactly!

<*)))>{

Got the 5x8, gonna try no disc this morning.......

Jim

There ya go!!!

Wide open, no disc, pro zero, and if you hear a lot of the low iron grunts, slow down you swing speed a little, and listen for the faint high tones coming through.. If you can get that tone to repeat a few times go for it!

The smaller coil has a little trouble pinpointing really deep, so just figure about where it is and cut your plug the size of the coil. It is better for the grass anyway!

Good luck!

<*)))>{

There ya go!!!

Wide open, no disc, pro zero, and if you hear a lot of the low iron grunts, slow down you swing speed a little, and listen for the faint high tones coming through.. If you can get that tone to repeat a few times go for it!

The smaller coil has a little trouble pinpointing really deep, so just figure about where it is and cut your plug the size of the coil. It is better for the grass anyway!

Good luck!

<*)))>{

Excellent advice and so far I am getting deep stuff!

Jim

You're right about the pinpointing, the smaller coil reaches its limit earlier but the sound stays there...listen and dig to tone and not VDI...I have gotten 10" out of the small coil where the VDI was showing nothing

Just call it "iron bleed through" Sometimes it happens on rusty iron like deeper nails and such. I had 4 Atpro's and they all did it especially running it hot. Same thing happened with my M6 and MXT's. I believe it's normal and don't worry about it. When you get over a good target you'll know.

Same story on mine - Not sure why you hear anything below iron disc.
I normally run mine at about 5-10, unless it is super trashy, then I gotta turn it up to 20.

Back
Top Bottom