Dodging the Sprinklers

JRinkus

Only had 30 mins left of light so I ran down to the old high school nearby. They had just cut the grass and I don't think I have ever seen it look so good. While in the middle of my first dig the sprinklers came on about 5 feet from me. These are the industrial ones with a lot of water coming out. So I ran to the other side of the field. Then they popped up again and I ran to the middle. So on and so on. It looked like a Benny Hill scene. So at a random spot I got a ping 79/80 on the ATpro. I thought I was digging a penny. When I pulled it out I originally thought it was a cap to something. Then realized it was a few coins taped together. How odd I thought. When I pulled them apart and removed the tape. I could immediately see one was a Merc (1942). The others were a 1943 P war Nickel, a 1964 Rosie and a 1960 Nickel.
The Rosie and War nickel were sandwiched in the middle so they came out stunningly brilliant. The Merc and 60 nickel cleaned up after I used some WD40 to dissolved the tape that was stuck to them. I also dug a new record, a 7 dime hole. Only dug 6 times in 30 min's and this is what I walked away with.
Thanks for looking. HH

Sweet little package some kid left for you way back when!!:yes:

I am with Groundsweeper, what is that green stuff??!? :roll:;):D

After having done Williamsburg the day before and struggling with the high grass. This was like ice skating. I just slid along the ground and listened for the coins to yell DIG ME! Sweet green stuff. McDonalds Shamrock Shake smooth. :laughing:

Nice finds, you sure you didn't just hit water lines with your digger and blame it on the sprinklers :lol: I found about 5 or 6 coins all taped together near BMX dirt bike track last year. Too bad they were all Felixes.

I hate that! :mad: Of course the fastest I have EVER retrieved a target is when I was knelt down and just flipped my plug over and one of the dam*ed heads popped out of the ground about a foot to my left. Scared the cra* out of me at first then it was quick decision time. I got a little wet but it was a dime dam* it! Retrieval time after that head popped up??? 2.2 seconds! :laughing:

nice digs! but your circle plug instead of a horse shoe shaped plug with the hinge side still attatched ensures that nice green lawn will have some brown dead spots scattered around in it. circle plugs kill the grass guaranteed. hinge plugs usually dont, if dug deep emough to keep dirt on the roots .

nice digs! but your circle plug instead of a horse shoe shaped plug with the hinge side still attatched ensures that nice green lawn will have some brown dead spots scattered around in it. circle plugs kill the grass guaranteed. hinge plugs usually dont, if dug deep emough to keep dirt on the roots .

I use the depth of the spade, about 6 inches. I have come back to this place numerous times and never have I seen any plug I have dug kill the grass. You need to look at the soil in the picture. This is Chesapeake, and this is the reason so many flocked to this location in the 17 - 1800s. Fertile soil. Grass flourishes' here. Not a worry. ;)

Nice finds. What a mental image of you digging and a sprinkler head popping up causing you to run. I know they are automated but the mental image is more fun picturing some evil groundskeeper, like Bill Murray in Caddyshack, saying now let's see him run and activating another sprinkler head. Stay dry my friend.

Sprinklers

Congrats on a three silver plug, very nice. It kind of makes it fun when you have to time your digs between sprinklers. They are necessary evils.
HH everyone

Only had 30 mins left of light so I ran down to the old high school nearby. They had just cut the grass and I don't think I have ever seen it look so good. While in the middle of my first dig the sprinklers came on about 5 feet from me. These are the industrial ones with a lot of water coming out. So I ran to the other side of the field. Then they popped up again and I ran to the middle. So on and so on. It looked like a Benny Hill scene. So at a random spot I got a ping 79/80 on the ATpro. I thought I was digging a penny. When I pulled it out I originally thought it was a cap to something. Then realized it was a few coins taped together. How odd I thought. When I pulled them apart and removed the tape. I could immediately see one was a Merc (1942). The others were a 1943 P war Nickel, a 1964 Rosie and a 1960 Nickel.
The Rosie and War nickel were sandwiched in the middle so they came out stunningly brilliant. The Merc and 60 nickel cleaned up after I used some WD40 to dissolved the tape that was stuck to them. I also dug a new record, a 7 dime hole. Only dug 6 times in 30 min's and this is what I walked away with.
Thanks for looking. HH

Nice digs, Jon

Back
Top Bottom