Added 11 More SoCal Silvers Plus A Cool Historical Piece Of Sterling By A Famous Artist

Jamflicker

Elite Member
Hey everyone,
Here are some finds from the last week or so. All the finds came from a handful of short hunts. It's been hard to get any hunts in that are long because of little league and managing my sons team. I was able to find 8 silver coins including a 1916s merc, 37 wheat pennies, 3 pieces of sterling jewelry, and and old Chinese coin.

One of the pieces of sterling is a cool piece by a famous Mexican silversmith William Spratling. He has pieces in art gallery's and museums including here in L.A. at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. The piece is titled "Hands Across America" and was produced from 1944-46. One sold on ebay for $200 and another is listed for $400. They made a smaller version into a button and those sell between $75-100. Here are a couple blurbs I found on the pin:

This is a beautiful example of Mr. Spratling's design talent and his commitment to unite North and Latin America in an effort of solidarity when Mexican military began fighting in WWII. joined According to , the "hands" series are part of this effort and each share the same item number. He launched the series at a high end department store and donated a percentage of the proceeds to the Red Cross.

Hands Across America pin which was the insignia for the Pan American Union. Silver with a gold wash on North and South America. Rather than a pin attachment, there is a two prong clasp. This is the only design on which a Registry number appears. This design was used in cuff links and various types and sizes of pins. Each has the same Registry number.

These finds takes me to 71 silver coins, 15 pieces of sterling jewelry, and 297 wheat pennies for the year.

Jason

Attachments

• IMG_8073.jpg
    IMG_8073.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_8058.jpg
    IMG_8058.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 506
  • IMG_8037.jpg
    IMG_8037.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_8038.jpg
    IMG_8038.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 512
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 525
Congrats on all your finds! That Sterling piece is an amazing find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They may have been short hunts Jason but they were very productive. Congrats on another very fine week of hunting. Funny the grand daughters basketball season ended Saturday. Her baseball starts in 3 weeks. She is only 10 but talented, only the 4th grade. Team went 31-2 for the season. Jack

nice saves.

I like the art silver as well.

interesting to me as well that you have a clipped cent, and a clipped dime, in a week..... I see one or two a year here.

Good digs!

Pawaide

They may have been short hunts Jason but they were very productive. Congrats on another very fine week of hunting. Funny the grand daughters basketball season ended Saturday. Her baseball starts in 3 weeks. She is only 10 but talented, only the 4th grade. Team went 31-2 for the season. Jack

Thanks Jack! Yeah I love being out there with my son coaching his team. I bet it was fun watching your grand daughter play basketball and they did great only losing 2 games.

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them.
Beautiful! Outstanding work there all around...Nice artist piece and thanks for the write up on it...
Mud

Killing it in silver and wheaties

nice saves.

I like the art silver as well.

interesting to me as well that you have a clipped cent, and a clipped dime, in a week..... I see one or two a year here.

Good digs!

Pawaide

You're on fire! Super nice recoveries!

beephead

Nice save man. That "hands" piece is fantastically cool!

Congrats on all your finds! That Sterling piece is an amazing find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That turned into a nice batch of hunts Jam .
That pin is a monster save.
Thanks including the background history on it .
Great post . ,Dew

nice unique sterling man, I'll bet that thing rang up pretty awesome.

also - all the mercs look pitted, this a coincidence or are they from a different site then the rosies?

congrats awesome finds man.

Mike

Nice stuff Jason! Love the piece of sterling!
Thanks buddy!
Ditto on all the congrats , nice hunt
HH
Thanks!

Awesome hunting Jason congrats!
Thanks Jeff!
Another good week of digging Jason, that silver/gold pin is very cool...congrats on it, the silvers, wheats and the rest of the finds!
Thanks Bruce. I forgot to mention the pin has a light gold wash.

Nice job with the research on that piece, Congrats on the silvers!
Thanks Ron!

nice unique sterling man, I'll bet that thing rang up pretty awesome.

also - all the mercs look pitted, this a coincidence or are they from a different site then the rosies?

congrats awesome finds man.

Mike

Thanks Mike! The sterling hands piece rang up like a silver quarter at 8 inches. One of the mercs is a 1916s is pretty worn. The other two mercs were found within a foot of each other and I also found 2 rosies that same day but don't know why the mercs were in rougher shape.

Back
Top Bottom